Suns @ Kings Sunday game thread 3-20-2022

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what Monty is doing with Payton. Just two months ago Shamet was unplayable and Monty worked him through it.

He's using these free games to get key playoff positions locked down and ready

Right he’s keeping everyone engaged and ready.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what Monty is doing with Payton. Just two months ago Shamet was unplayable and Monty worked him through it.

He's using these free games to get key playoff positions locked down and ready

I've always held out hope for Shamet but I'm beginning to think Payton closes his eyes when he shoots. I have no other explanation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yup. That’s the best summary.

Total gutsy win. Book, bridges and shamet carried us and Craig played a good game. Holiday was solid. Elfrid was pathetic offensively but 5 combined blocks/steals. Ayton was pretty poor and totally passive down the stretch.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Today was one of the forget times where I was really bothered by the refs. The foul calls and lack thereof at the other end and the no calls on the kings traveling twice. It was tough to watch. Felt like a fundamental disrespect for this suns squad.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was one of the forget times where I was really bothered by the refs. The foul calls and lack thereof at the other end and the no calls on the kings traveling twice. It was tough to watch. Felt like a fundamental disrespect for this suns squad.

There are not many teams that could survive this and win. Suns bond gets stronger under stress.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's simple incompetence. I have a hard time thinking the refs would reward the Kings at our expense. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team have 3 starters foul out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book playing with 4 fouls for most of the 3rd was huge. He kept Phoenix in the game at a point where most coaches would have pulled him.

I didn't agree with the 5th foul on Booker where DiVincenzo was in his lap when it looked like he was trying to pass.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't agree with the 5th foul on Booker where DiVincenzo was in his lap when it looked like he was trying to pass.
Agree. Divincenzo was hacking him repeatedly. No one would get away with that crap on just about any all star, but it’s fine on Booker.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Always believed that NBA refs are the worst in sports. The inconsistency is maddening
Suns are 28th in the league in free throw attempts. That’s baffling to me. Sooo many missed calls I feel like on Book. Love this team. They have so much heart especially missing reinforcements. Hope we can get one of Cam J, Payne, Jae back for Minnesota Wednesday. They’re playing well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And through all this, it's an absolute travesty that Devin Booker isn't amongst the leading contenders for the MVP. He's proving he should be better than 9th in the league in such a list. Luka Doncic is listed as #5 on the MVP list (on NBA.com), while Booker is proving to be the best Shooting Guard in the entire league.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Suns are 28th in the league in free throw attempts. That’s baffling to me. Sooo many missed calls I feel like on Book. Love this team. They have so much heart especially missing reinforcements. Hope we can get one of Cam J, Payne, Jae back for Minnesota Wednesday. They’re playing well.
I think it's a bit low, but not sure I would say it's baffling. The Suns probably take more jump shots than any other team in the league. As a matter of fact they take the fewest shots at the rim in the entire league.

This isn't to say that the refs don't make some really poor calls and no calls against us, but the free throw attempt ranking does make some sense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book should be in discussion for MVP. I don’t think he should win it, but I think on a team by the best record by far, and that has dealt with Covid and a major injury to Paul, he’s definitely top 5 or close to being a top 5 candidate.

He’s been aces all season on both sides of the ball and has not just held down the fort with CP3 out, but still has the team playing at a 58 win pace.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it's a bit low, but not sure I would say it's baffling. The Suns probably take more jump shots than any other team in the league. As a matter of fact they take the fewest shots at the rim in the entire league.

This isn't to say that the refs don't make some really poor calls and no calls against us, but the free throw attempt ranking does make some sense.
I’d agree with this to an extent. We aren’t an overly aggressive team. Ayton doesn’t pound in the post or put the ball the floor and try to drive on defenders. Other than Payne and Booker none of our players really drive the hole much. Cam Johnson to a lesser extent. Bridges almost always pulls up for his little middie instead of going to the bucket unless there’s a really clear path.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’d agree with this to an extent. We aren’t an overly aggressive team. Ayton doesn’t pound in the post or put the ball the floor and try to drive on defenders. Other than Payne and Booker none of our players really drive the hole much. Cam Johnson to a lesser extent. Bridges almost always pulls up for his little middie instead of going to the bucket unless there’s a really clear path.
Even Booker is at a career low with shot attempts at the rim at 10%. Previous low was last season at nearly 18%.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
And through all this, it's an absolute travesty that Devin Booker isn't amongst the leading contenders for the MVP. He's proving he should be better than 9th in the league in such a list. Luka Doncic is listed as #5 on the MVP list (on NBA.com), while Booker is proving to be the best Shooting Guard in the entire league.

As great as he’s been there are a handful of players more valuable to their team. That’s why he’s not considered a serious candidate.