UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What a weird bracket I count 3 teams that Arizona already played, Michigan, Illinois and tenn(who beat UA).

The 2 seed NOva is a terrible matchup for Arizona way too small, their offense is based on iso postups of guards and forwards which won't work due to Koloko and Ballo. Tenn is the biggest threat to UA in the draw, big team, quick athletic guards.
I watched the Tennessee Arizona game. The officiating may have been worst I’ve ever seen in any game - and I’m not one to be prone about blaming officiating. If they meet again I believe Arizona thrashes them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the Tennessee Arizona game. The officiating may have been worst I’ve ever seen in any game - and I’m not one to be prone about blaming officiating. If they meet again I believe Arizona thrashes them.

Oh I watched ti too 3 Arizona starters foul out the other 2 had 4 fouls. It was one sided but it did show Tenn was big enough and athletic enough to stay with the Cats, they outrebounded them, they out offensive rebounded them, and they forced a ton of turnovers. Tenn has 2 freshman PG's who are playing relaly well now. in that game Chandler went 2-14 and Ziegler played only 12 minutes, so will be interesting to see if those 2 lightning quick guys play better or if the Arizona size gets to them again

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I watched ti too 3 Arizona starters foul out the other 2 had 4 fouls. It was one sided but it did show Tenn was big enough and athletic enough to stay with the Cats, they outrebounded them, they out offensive rebounded them, and they forced a ton of turnovers. Tenn has 2 freshman PG's who are playing relaly well now. in that game Chandler went 2-14 and Ziegler played only 12 minutes, so will be interesting to see if those 2 lightning quick guys play better or if the Arizona size gets to them again
Ballo was not getting the minutes he is now when they played Tennessee. Also, if that game was played on a neutral court with neutral refs, the UofA would of won. That was the worst officiating game I have ever seen.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ballo was not getting the minutes he is now when they played Tennessee. Also, if that game was played on a neutral court with neutral refs, the UofA would of won. That was the worst officiating game I have ever seen.

Agreed it was poorly officiated, but my point is Tenn is one of the few teams in the country that has enough size to contend with UA's size and they have some talent. Very hot team right now, 12 of their last 13, won their last 7 and that included Auburn, UK and Arkansas which is their only loss in the last 13 games. I would favor UA but I think in that bracket Tenn is the toughest matchup for UA.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I swear I’m going to slap the **** out of the next national pundit who picks UofA to win it all

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He’s moving so slow and that ankle is as purple as Grimace. No way I play him tomorrow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s moving so slow and that ankle is as purple as Grimace. No way I play him tomorrow.
Agree. He’s moving much better than I expected after seeing the photo of the foot, but those movements aren’t full movements by him. His jumpshot didn’t have his normal lift and he lands somewhat gingerly imo. I don’t think playing is even an option. But I am surprised to see him moving even as well as he is, so what do I know.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Agree. He’s moving much better than I expected after seeing the photo of the foot, but those movements aren’t full movements by him. His jumpshot didn’t have his normal lift and he lands somewhat gingerly imo. I don’t think playing is even an option. But I am surprised to see him moving even as well as he is, so what do I know.
19 years old and 24/7 care by elite athletic training staff a tad different than when our old asses roll an ankle at pickup haha

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was a big test not crumbling tonight. Mathurin and koloko need more help. And my god this team shouldn’t give up 20 offensive rebounds. Yeeesh

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say you guys win easily if Kriisa didn't play that much. He was 1-10 and TCU was targeting him on defense every time he was in.

Koloko and Mathurin were insanely good.

And I'm glad the dunk by Terry didn't count I don't know if Miles was fouled or not but if they had lost the game on that play it would have been terrible.

Jamie Dixon is a doofus, you had to know Mathurin was going to take the 3 why not foul? Because the guy he had on him, Miles, had 4 fouls. Terrible coaching by Dixon cost him the game

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fun gm wildcats repin az proud with a close w vs tcu!! Im a fan of any az team

420 toke to cats advancing :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I have to say you guys win easily if Kriisa didn't play that much. He was 1-10 and TCU was targeting him on defense every time he was in.

And I'm glad the dunk by Terry didn't count I don't know if Miles was fouled or not but if they had lost the game on that play it would have been terrible.

Jamie Dixon is a doofus, you had to know Mathurin was going to take the 3 why not foul? Because the guy he had on him, Miles, had 4 fouls. Terrible coaching by Dixon cost him the game

I don’t think dribbling away from the basket with 3 seconds left helped his cause for the foul. There was contact by Terry but he sold it pretty good. The refs completely swallowed their whistles down the stretch. Mathurin got fouled pretty hard on the dunk to tie it.

Houston is a rich man’s TCU and only 3 Arizona players accepted the challenge physically. Kenpom has Houston favored.

Every AZ fan knew Kerr was going to give them a coronary in the tourney.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think dribbling away from the basket with 3 seconds left helped his cause for the foul. There was contact by Terry but he sold it pretty good. The refs completely swallowed their whistles down the stretch. Mathurin got fouled pretty hard on the dunk to tie it.

Houston is a rich man’s TCU and only 3 Arizona players accepted the challenge physically. Kenpom has Houston favored.

Every AZ fan knew Kerr was going to give them a coronary in the tourney.

Yeah live I thought Miles was fouled on replay I don't think he was. As Avery Johnson said that's why you don't bring a screen there and invite the double.

And yes Mathurin was fouled on the dunk. TCU almost assuredly wins if they foul and don't let Mathurin shoot the 3.

BTW about half of us on BRO are hoping Dalen Terry goes pro, man is that kid suddenly turning into a player. His shot has improved and now everything else he does is really starting to show, passing, defense etc.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

TCU probably should’ve won that game but Arizona survived. I live in Texas so I’ve gotten to watch TCU. Scrappy group of kids. They gave it their all. Zona didn’t play great and still found a way to win.

I don’t mind not fouling but Mathurin just hit a ridiculously tough 3. Easy to say in hindsight. Houston is a tough matchup but Zona just needs to play to their strengths and REBOUND. Houston crashes the offensive glass.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
TCU probably should’ve won that game but Arizona survived. I live in Texas so I’ve gotten to watch TCU. Scrappy group of kids. They gave it their all. Zona didn’t play great and still found a way to win.

I don’t mind not fouling but Mathurin just hit a ridiculously tough 3. Easy to say in hindsight. Houston is a tough matchup but Zona just needs to play to their strengths and REBOUND. Houston crashes the offensive glass.
I hate the "probably should have won" stuff that people always bring up. The Cats did what they had to do when they had to do it and when it mattered. There's no "deserves" nothing. TCU would have won if they faced a worse team than Arizona, but they didn't. Both teams earned where they were at and Arizona was better when it counted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to ask why do people say that easy to say in hindsight? I was literally watching it screaming at the tv foul him don't let him get the 3 off. It's a standard play coaches do all over the country. Cronin has lost a couple of games at UCLA by not doing it. Warriors lost a couple this year same reason.

Zona ran 23 seconds off the clock before he made the shot they had plenty of time to foul him the problem was for whatever reason Miles was on him and he had 4 fouls. Just drives me nuts that coaches still haven't figured that out it's so much harder to make 1 FT miss on purpose get teh rebound and score than it is to hit a 3. Don't let them get the 3 off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is weird I don't really know what to make of it. Either Mathurin has his hands out and doesn't realize what he's doing, or that smirk on his face indicates he does know what he's doing. TCU cheerleader after the game. She doesn't react at all

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave