Amazon Closes $8.5 Billion Acquisition of MGM

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Amazon Closes $8.5 Billion Acquisition of MGM​

Amazon has closed its $8.5 billion acquisition of MGM, the companies said Thursday.

The pact was first announced in May and has been winding its way through the regulatory process. Per Amazon, “The storied, nearly century-old studio — with more than 4,000 film titles, 17,000 TV episodes, 180 Academy Awards, and 100 Emmy Awards — will complement Prime Video and Amazon Studios’ work in delivering a diverse offering of entertainment choices to customers.”

The completion of the transaction comes two days after the Amazon-MGM deal received clearance from the European Union’s antitrust regulator, which “unconditionally” approved Amazon’s proposed acquisition of MGM, in part because “MGM’s content cannot be considered as must-have.” The European Commission, in its antitrust review, found that the overlaps between the Amazon and MGM businesses are “limited.”

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm generally not a fan of these mergers. I've hated Disney buying up Fox, Pixar, marvel, etc. MGM seemed like it needed new life though. For awhile I was hoping Apple would buy MGM to bolster the AppleTV+ library and to hopefully revive a new Stargate series or two.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about this one. I'm generally not a fan of these mergers. I've hated Disney buying up Fox, Pixar, marvel, etc. MGM seemed like it needed new life though. For awhile I was hoping Apple would buy MGM to bolster the AppleTV+ library and to hopefully revive a new Stargate series or two.
If it gets me a new Stargate series or several, I'm fine with whoever buys MGM.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The writing's been on the wall for years with MGM. Outside of James Bond and a few tv shows, their entire company was based on the strength of their back catalog. It was only a matter of time before it got absorbed by somebody.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The writing's been on the wall for years with MGM. Outside of James Bond and a few tv shows, their entire company was based on the strength of their back catalog. It was only a matter of time before it got absorbed by somebody.
So Amazon has the rights to James Bond now? Will they still have to get the Brocollis' (sp?) permission to do projects? I'm sensing a Bond show or three...hundred lol

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Yes. MGM only had control of half. It’s an unusual setup but decisions all go through the Brocollis.
Unless Amazon does something like what they're pulling with Lord of the Rings. They're taking a lot of license with that show since they essentially only have the rights to the book appendixes and not The Silmarillion like everyone thought when it was announced. If there's any wiggle room in what they have the rights to then I fully expect them to take advantage of them.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unless Amazon does something like what they're pulling with Lord of the Rings. They're taking a lot of license with that show since they essentially only have the rights to the book appendixes and not The Silmarillion like everyone thought when it was announced. If there's any wiggle room in what they have the rights to then I fully expect them to take advantage of them.
The James Bond series is a lot more clear cut than LOTR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose