The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ride with this same group next season aside from some minor tweaks. A power forward and a replacement for Payton would be my primary focus. Hopefully the Suns can keep Ayton, McGee, Biyombo and Cam Johnson.

Sarver may not be around after the NBA investigation.
If the Suns can't get it done with this group, they will have to upgrade a position versus adding just to the bench. So PF is likely the upgrade spot I would think they would have to target. Then it goes back to what I was saying about money. Sarver is obviously the X-factor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns can't get it done with this group, they will have to upgrade a position versus adding just to the bench. So PF is likely the upgrade spot I would think they would have to target. Then it goes back to what I was saying about money. Sarver is obviously the X-factor.

Yeah, power forward is the Suns weakest position. Another ball handler that can shoot would also be an improvement.

In an ideal world, I'd like Cam Johnson backing up Bridges and someone like Robert Covington backing up Crowder.

All we can do is wait and see what happens with Robert Sarver. Money is always a factor unless the Suns get a new owner who is in it for the championships.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think it'a a salary saving move, however, I am starting to get that Joe Johnson deja vue feeling. I know the situations are different, but I can't help feel that vibe.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember ayton has missed time on the court too. I’m sure that’s a factor considering our winning record.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I’ll be stunned if Ayton makes 1st or 2nd team all defense. 1st team is locked up by Rudy, Giannis, Draymond, 2nd Team is gonna go to Embiid at Center and the prob wings. Maybe he takes the spot Bam has taken on those teams the last couple years but I still think people here think much more highly of Ayton’s D than the rest of the basketball watching world.
This.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if Ayton makes the All-Defense team, he won't get the super max. All-Defense selections don't count towards the supermax.

Here's the source, question #24

In order to qualify for the higher maximum salary, players must meet certain performance criteria1. At least one of the following must be true:

• The player was named to the All-NBA First, Second or Third team in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the Defensive Player of the Year in the most recent season, or both of the two seasons that preceded the most recent season.
  • The player was named the NBA Most Valuable Player in any of the three most recent seasons.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while. Am I the only one that has major concerns about DA's consistency, especially after he gets a big fat payday? I mean if he had Booker's personality this would be a no-brainer, but he doesn't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while. Am I the only one that has major concerns about DA's consistency, especially after he gets a big fat payday? I mean if he had Booker's personality this would be a no-brainer, but he doesn't.

In today's NBA Ayton is worth the max, maybe not the super max ($207 million), but the max.

I think some team will pay him so why not the Suns.

He puts in the work from what I can tell although probably not on the level of Devin Booker or Chris Paul.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have minor concerns about DA's consistency. I was much more concerned about him his first year then I am now. Regardless, we sign him to the max and live with his shortcomings, I really don't see a viable option.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In today's NBA Ayton is worth the max, maybe not the super max ($207 million), but the max.

I think some team will pay him so why not the Suns.

He puts in the work from what I can tell although probably not on the level of Devin Booker or Chris Paul.
Yes. There at least three different maxes though. Supermax, home team max (5 years 8% raises), or the other team max (4 year, 5% raises). I think James Jones wants to pay him the "other team max". Just my guess. JJ might go five years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yes. There at least three different maxes though. Supermax, home team max (5 years 8% raises), or the other team max (4 year, 5% raises). I think James Jones wants to pay him the "other team max". Just my guess. JJ might go five years.

I’m not gonna try doing the math but 8% vs 5% is a pretty significant difference in terms of L-Tax savings.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping the Suns sign Ayton to a 5 year max but I suspect they want to match in RFA which could include an early out.

IMO, that's a mistake. For key players, I like to maintain their rights as long as possible.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No you’re not. He’s the biggest quandary to me in all my years of cheering for the suns. I recognize what he does well and what he means to the suns in pursuit of the championship. I see him seething with even greater upside. But I simultaneously do not trust him to bring it, to maximize his potential, or for him to keep at it once he gets PAID and Paul is gone.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m not gonna try doing the math but 8% vs 5% is a pretty significant difference in terms of L-Tax savings.
The 5 year deal would be $173 million. The 4 year deal would be $128 million. But as his contract goes up, so does everyone else's. The big differences show up on year 5.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5 year deal would be $173 million. The 4 year deal would be $128 million. But as his contract goes up, so does everyone else's. The big differences show up on year 5.

And there may be a huge new television deal in 2024. Ayton's salary will likely look much smaller then.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'm a better judge of character than i am of assessing talent in young players.
i was skeptical that Cam Johnson and Bridges could become as good as others predicted
and skeptical when Eddie Johnson often speculated that Ayton would perfect his midrange shot and hook.

credit Ayton. his shot has really improved. but what's up with his rebounding slump?

my biggest concern when we drafted him was what i saw in his one march-madness game i watched.
he didn't have fire in his game. and indeed, his first 2 years elevated that concern.
but what changed last year? Chris Paul was added. what changed when his slump started? Chris Paul is out.

he credits Paul with motivating him with tough love. it seems Paul is a father figure to him. and with his floor leader not on the floor -- and without Booker, who's probably hard on him too -- and the #1 seed not likely in doubt...

Ayton needs motivation. thankfully, he was motivated in the playoffs and hopefully will be again. but with a max salary, we'll probably be getting 75 cents on the dollar during the regular season, and less when Paul retires.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's gonna get his money.
Might as well be from us.
He is a highly tradeable asset that would be coveted on a team that uses a center properly.
Lets let him finish going through puberty before we cast him off the cliff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As of game 63 Ayton is averaging 9.8 rebounds per game. Welcome to the amare bad rebounder zone Ayton.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Ayton's rebounds per 100 possessions by season -

2018-19 - 15.9
2019-20 - 16.7
2020-21 - 17.0
2021-22 - 16.0
Career - 16.4

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads