NBA All-Star Weekend thread 2022

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How dare someone disagree with your take! We should make a rule that everyone must agree. That follows the same sentiments of every one gets an equal numbed of shots.

Don't post an opinion if you can't handle discussing it.

excuse me, but me and a reasonable poster were respectfully disagreeing until you and the other Thought Police intervened and dismissed my opinion using the old suppression standby that i'm just a "hater" who "should be ignored."

truth is, you "can't handle" my opinion because you and your clique are 1tinsoldier haters

obviously, both teams were finally playing harder to try to win in the last 10 minutes for their charity, while Curry was still chucking up shots to break an exhibition record that had no meaning besides to highlight what a hole he can be

and, likewise, it's really childish for you to say i was suggesting that everyone gets "an equal number of shots."

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
excuse me, but me and a reasonable poster were respectfully disagreeing until you and the other Thought Police intervened and dismissed my opinion using the old suppression standby that i'm just a "hater" who "should be ignored."

truth is, you "can't handle" my opinion because you and your clique are 1tinsoldier haters

obviously, both teams were finally playing harder to try to win in the last 10 minutes for their charity, while Curry was still chucking up shots to break an exhibition record that had no meaning besides to highlight what a hole he can be

and, likewise, it's really childish for you to say i was suggesting that everyone gets "an equal number of shots."
I see your point but you gotta remember, not everyone played the same amount of minutes. Steph played 36. Luka in 25 minutes took 6….but in this open court kinda game where most people aren’t playing defense in an exhibition, Steph had a lot of open looks. It wasn’t like he was just forcing 3’s. They were feeding him. He made more threes (16) than everyone did combined (14). I think hater is a strong term but you gotta know in games like this, it’s not gonna be egalitarian and Steph was supremely efficient.

In terms of Steph’s cockiness though, I don’t mind him dancing when he goes crazy. If you don’t want him doing it, stop him. He’s having fun. There’s not a more entertaining to watch get hot then him. He was hitting shots from Columbus lol

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thank you, DJ. That's the way to disagree -- with counter points, not insults.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think the ASG in general has become nothing but a boring vanity fest for whomever the league's "showcase" players currently are. There used to be a time, back in "yon olden days" when the game was actually something resembling a genuine contest instead of the glorified shootaround it has turned into.

There was even a time when the MVP could be some unlikely lesser known minor star instead of the annual "let's have whatever biggest name superstar get a victory lap as ASG MVP." The NBA game has become even more of a predictable yawner than most of the other major sports all star games because of the apparent scriptedness of it all.

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
exactly, Rain. i found this ASG insulting to fans and bad for the sport. some of us can still love this sport without buying into all the hype. and when you do love it, it makes sense to be critical of things or players that you believe is taking it in the wrong direction

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The ASG doesn’t do anything for me any longer. It’s odd because it was the 1988 ASG in Chicago that saw MJ go off and win MVP that really brought my love for basketball to a new level. I was 7 at the time and my parents recored the game. I couldn’t even tell you how many times I watched that tape. And I never missed another until 6-7 years ago when I felt it had just turned into a joke. I’m not saying that the players have to take it super serious. It’s an exhibition after all and we all like seeing some highlights and fun play. But go back and watch the 80’s, 90’s, 2000’s games and compare to now. These games aren’t even watchable to me, even if I have rooting interests from the Suns. Or maybe I’m just old now. ;)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't even watch the much of anything all-star. I did tune in since i just happened to see the celebrity game on, but that was about it. I missed the 3pt which is the purest form of competition on all-star weekend imo, well almost pure since they dont always put in the best shooters (Cam Johnson). Then sunday, was a complete snooze fest as i took a peek but just watched Chopped on the food network LOL.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only watched the All-Star game because Monty Williams and staff coached in the game plus Chris Paul and Devin Booker were selected to the team.

Actually I couldn't enjoy much of anything because I was consumed with worry about Chris Paul's hand injury.

Yeah, I agree there is not much reason to watch the All-Star game or activities without an incentive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the All Star game started changing (for the worse, from a fan perspective) the year Magic made the team following his return from HIV. AFAIC, it's been nothing but spectacle from that day forward. Some enjoy spectacle but it isn't for me so I pay very little attention to the game or any of the other activities.

Something has to change though but I'm not suggesting they need to return it to a real competition. Either they remove fan/media voting completely or they need to remove the option of contract stipulations connected to it. It isn't fair to the players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, the All Star game started changing (for the worse, from a fan perspective) the year Magic made the team following his return from HIV. AFAIC, it's been nothing but spectacle from that day forward. Some enjoy spectacle but it isn't for me so I pay very little attention to the game or any of the other activities.

Something has to change though but I'm not suggesting they need to return it to a real competition. Either they remove fan/media voting completely or they need to remove the option of contract stipulations connected to it. It isn't fair to the players.

I think the contract stipulations are more of an issue than fan voting. I don't mind the All-NBA, MVP, and other post season awards effecting contracts but All-Star is ridiculous because of the fan voting and also the politics involved.

I know there was talk in the East about Jaylen Brown being deserving but since the Celtics record isn't very good they don't warrant having 2 All-Stars. Things like that shouldn't matter much, if at all. You don't hear those debates for the other awards because there are less players selected so it's a more elite group where individual play will more often than not get you a spot or it won't.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Needs to go back east vs west....throw in the mlb wrinkle...winner gets homecourt in the Finals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needs to go back east vs west....throw in the mlb wrinkle...winner gets homecourt in the Finals.
I agree about East vs West....but a big NO to the MLB wrinkle. It's supposed to just be an exhibition, not a true competition. I despised it when the MLB went that way and IMO it would be even worse for the NBA to do it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose