Life Insurance Payout and Taxes

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like I might get a couple bucks from Dad's life insurance policy. It's not much, but I want to split three ways with my half-brothers. Quick look on the IRS website says this:

Do I report proceeds paid under a life insurance contract as taxable income?

Answer:​

• Generally, life insurance proceeds you receive as a beneficiary due to the death of the insured person, aren't includable in gross income and you don't have to report them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct - unless there is something very unusual in the policy, it is not taxable.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. If it's a straight basic death benefit plan, you should be good. I'm not sure how variable plans/VUL would work if there is cash value from invested funds though.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anything special to be done in order to split with my half-brothers? I don't want them getting audited either.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is there anything special to be done in order to split with my half-brothers? I don't want them getting audited either.
I was assuming it to be an after tax gifting of proceeds, but double checked and found this. Hope it helps.

OP
OP
puckhead

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was assuming it to be an after tax gifting of proceeds, but double checked and found this. Hope it helps.

That is quite helpful. In fact, that's basically identical to my situation. Thank you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose