On the offseason

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can you though? I wouldn't be surprised if Keim thinks he's playing three-dimensional chess and drops Josh Jones in there with another 3rd-round pick as a backup plan. Humphries is the 11th-higest paid LT per overthecap; I wouldn't be surprised if they let him play out his deal.

I wouldn't be surprised. Russ did the same thing or something similar — maybe he just attended Mariners spring training. It's not like the As aren't already down here.

STIPULATED that Bruce Arians is a better coach than Kliff Kingsbury. That said, my suggestion is that he's a slightly above-average head coach. I think I might be wrong and he's a slightly below-average coach.

Let's rank the coaches! (Fired head coaches included)

Bill Belichek (NE)
Andy Reid (KC)
Mike Tomlin (PIT)
John Harbaugh (BAL)
Sean Peyton (NO)
Bruce Arians (TB)
Mike Vrabel (TEN)
Sean McDermott (BUF)
Matt LaFleur (GB)
Sean McVay (LARM)
Brian Flores (Fmr. MIA)
Kyle Shanhan (SF)
Brandon Staley (LAC)
Kevin Stefanski (CLE)
KLIFF KINGSBURY (ARI)
Pete Carroll (SEA)
John Gruden (Fmr. LVR)
Frank Reich (IND)
Dan Campbell (DET)
Ron Rivera (WAS)
Zac Taylor (CIN)
Robert Saleh (NYJ)
Mike McCarthy (DAL)
Matt Nagy (Fmr. CHI)
Nick Sirianni (PHI)
Vic Fangio (Fmr. DEN)
Mike Zimmer (Fmr. MIN)
David Culley (Fmr. HOU)
Arthur Smith (ATL)
Matt Rhule (CAR)
Joe Judge (Fmr. NYG)
Urban Meyer (Fmr. JAX)

Why would you pay the 2nd most penalised tackle (he's up there every year) and a guy that gave up 7 sacks the 11th most money out of 64 starting tackles?

That's poor value.

He was the 48th ranked tackle per PFF. Behind Eric Fisher, Brandon Shell and right there with Riley Reiff, Cam Robinson and Terrance Steele.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's fair but there are likely dozens of guys out there who AREN'T better than Kliff and I don't trust Michael and Keim to avoid those guys. Here are the names I'd be interested in talking to:

Mike Kafka (KC QB Coach/Passing Game Coordinator)
Brian Dabol (BUF OC)
Greg Roman (BAL OC)
Pete Carmichael (NO OC)

But there are just offensive coaches with more experience than Kliff. I think people are going to be disappointed with those options and want a hard guy who's going to be "tough" on people. I dunno if that's John Fox or Bill O'Brien or what.

I don't understand this. Are we going to turn into a defense-first team? Bowles brought in Chan Gailey for his first season with the Jets, started 38 year-old Josh McCown for 13 games(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) his second season, then did nothing to develop Sam Darnold with Jeremy Bates as his OC.

If the top priority is seeing how you can maximize Kyler Murray's ability before you guarantee him $140 million over six or eight years, I don't see how Bowles gets you to that point.
I don’t understand how “accountability” and “discipline” gets translated to “being a hard guy” that has to be “tough on” players.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actual legitimate question. If the Cardinals don't offer or start talk w/ Kyler and his agent about an extension, do you think he reports to A's spring training? I am not saying as a "baseball player" but even as just a gimmick? I also think it would be likely he doesn't report to voluntaries either.
Don't believe he would report. He would be stunned and not expecting it. This kid has a huge ego.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah...if you think a "tough guy" HC is going to get Kyler to buy in, you aren't paying attention. That isn't to say that Kliff is the answer, but Kyler has to decide he wants to be coached hard before you can coach him hard.

The only other name that kinda makes sense is Doug Pederson but I doubt he would sign up unless Keim was gone.
Is your premise:

I think kyler will tune out a “hard guy” :)rolleyes:) so let’s stick with the laid back guy who he’s already apparently tuning out?

Cuz if he’s not tuning out kliff then you’re left with:

A) kliff sucks
B) kyler is too stupid to learn

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Then let Kyler fail with a real NFL head coach and real NFL offense. Continuing on with a college coach and college offense is clearly not going to work.

This reminds me of the Ayton conversations. People thought he was too mentally weak to play with a guy like CP3 who demands hard work and excellence. You can't just shy away from making a change because you think the player might not take to it. You make the change and he can adapt or he can flame out. Otherwise we will have more failing seasons and a bunch of "what if he ever had a real coach" questions with Kyler.
Great example with Ayton.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why would you pay the 2nd most penalised tackle (he's up there every year) and a guy that gave up 7 sacks the 11th most money out of 64 starting tackles?

That's poor value.

He was the 48th ranked tackle per PFF. Behind Eric Fisher, Brandon Shell and right there with Riley Reiff, Cam Robinson and Terrance Steele.
LOL get outta here with them PFF grades, especially with a skittish mobile QB.

Again, you can’t block Von Miller with cap space; who is going to be available for a lower price tag that will be better?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t understand how “accountability” and “discipline” gets translated to “being a hard guy” that has to be “tough on” players.
Again, name some names who you think would be better that could be available. A lotta people are like, “I dunno gotta be someone”.

We’ll, if the requirements are head coach experience, offensive background (especially with QBs), and a reputation for discipline you’re list is getting pretty short.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Again, name some names who you think would be better that could be available. A lotta people are like, “I dunno gotta be someone”.

We’ll, if the requirements are head coach experience, offensive background (especially with QBs), and a reputation for discipline you’re list is getting pretty short.
A) I’m not paid to know those things. I didn’t know who mcvay was or the bengals coach before they were hired.
B) I don’t think it needs to be a guy with head coaching experience or an offensive guy.
C) I do think there’s a good coach out there that’s better than kliff. I would hope someone whose business is football could identify that person. Do I think that person is keim? No. I’d can his ass. Do I think it’s Mike B? No, but when I know it isn’t kliff I’m feeling better about that blind squirrel’s chances . . .

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Actual legitimate question. If the Cardinals don't offer or start talk w/ Kyler and his agent about an extension, do you think he reports to A's spring training? I am not saying as a "baseball player" but even as just a gimmick? I also think it would be likely he doesn't report to voluntaries either.

Just stop it man. The above take is completely unreasonable, and based on nothing but your apparent personal dislike for K1.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Back to the offseason. It comes down to the roster, because there is no way K2 gets let go. So let's start with what positions need to be upgraded the most:

1. WR - with DHop out we had little more than a respectable #3 in Kirk, a respectable #4 in AJ, and that's petty much it. We have to hope Dhop can hold together, and bring in a legit #2, probably via FA, because I don't trust Keim to draft a WR.

2. OG - remember that we have Justin Murray on the roster, and he was supposed to be the starter at RG, but he can't stay healthy. Garcia is an okay back up, but we must upgrade this position. Probably could use a draft pick, but should maybe acquire one in FA too, in case Keim whiffs on another online draft pick.

3. EDGE - pressuring the QB is everything, and it seemed like both CJ and Golden ran out of gas at the end of he year. We need to get younger and better at this position.

4. DT - Watt/Lawrence/Phillips is passable as a starting line up, but upgrading the NT position, and moving Lawrence to a back up role would be better. We need better depth too.

5. CB - need better depth. Maybe a legit #1 or #2, moving Wilson to the nickel.

6. OT - sigh, no, we have other holes to fill that are greater in need.

7. TE - no if M. Williams comes back. Williams plus Ertz would be strong.

8. ILB - no. Just no. Please God don't tell me that we have to draft another LB or pick one up in FA.

9. QB - no.

10. RB no - although we might have to overpay Conner a bit, but he was the heart and soul of this offense after Dhop went out. We have to have him back. He is the one guy that brings physicality to the offense.

10. S - no.

11. Special teams - no.

Additionally, we probably need to invest some draft capital into the oline, and have a plan for eventually replacing Pugh, Beachum and Hudson.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d trade Simmons for a 2nd. I actually wonder if Zaven would’ve played Simmons’ role better than Simmons.

Reaction score
It's obvious to practically everyone, except perhaps the only person that counts, Mike Bidwill; it is time to move on from Steve Keim! That's the first move to make. Get the new GM in place ASAP and have him evaluate everything/everyone else.

Not opposed to keeping KK, less so VJ; replace Bill Davis.
Murray needs to quit substituting Madden for actual film study!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was definitely awful last night but RG3? He had one good season, got progressively worse every year after that. Kyler has had 3 good years, gotten better every year. The concern of course is the performance in key games and yes that he appeared to be playing scared last night when we really needed him to step up.

After RG3's first season he put up 23 TD's and 23 picks the rest of his career, Murray isn't even remotely comparable to him yet.

now if he picks up next year where he left off this year then yeah that would be very bad.

The reality is we have the 23rd pick in the draft so we're probably not getting a QB with that pick and would frankly be crazy to use a late first rounder on one this draft is a total crapshoot at QB there's no lock at all so we'd almost have to trade Kyler to get a QB this year. I guess that's why Prescott and Watson make the most sense since they're Texas teams and both would have reasons to want to trade their guy. If Watson had a totally clean background yeah you'd at this point probably jump all over it but he doesn't, we still have no clue what's going to happen to him
I don’t think Kyler got better this year.
Just stop it man. The above take is completely unreasonable, and based on nothing but your apparent personal dislike for K1.

the only one taking anything personal about Kyler is you. There's nothing "unreasonable" about Chopper's take and you don't get to tell people to stop talking football. I mean you do, but that doesn't mean people are going to, nor should they.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If I am Kyler I would never return even a call until contract. The entire regime is getting fired week 5 if they start 0-4 without Murray on the field in 2022.
With how strong kk's team starts the season in general and how well McCoy payed this year against whinners and seachickens, I highly doubt Cardinals will start next season 0-4 without or without Kyler.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d trade Simmons for a 2nd. I actually wonder if Zaven would’ve played Simmons’ role better than Simmons.

I do wonder what his trade value would be?

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hate the guy but Pete Carroll better than Kliff. Frank Reich I think he's better although they imploded too. Taylor hard to say he's not better the way they finished strong this year. I even think Sirianni is better he got to the playoffs with Hurts at QB by just realizing we're not going to be a great passing team so trade Ertz(thank you) make Goedert the TE and become a running team. They also changed their defense midseason because it wasn't working

I might even argue Dan Campbell is better, I don't think Detroit is poorly coached they were less talented they were in most of their games they lost 7 games by a TD or less. Looking at schedule lost by 2 THREE times, a tie, etc. I think he probably did a pretty good job with that roster
I would agree but I would not put Staley and stefanski above KK at this moment. They achived othing with their no-so-bad roster. Browns can't figure out how to deal with obj and give him to Rams for free. McVay, on the other side, knows.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the WR area, Calvin Ridley is apparently on the block and could be had for a 2nd rounder. Ridley took off half the year with a mental break but apparently they expect quite a bit of interest in him since he's only 27. I would be surprised if we went after him but would be intriguing

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly Murphy just finished his third season with tons of reps. How much better is he gonna get?

Marco Wilson looked like an okay #4
Murphy/Wilson both looked better earlier in the year and both got banged up down the stretch. Maybe they stay healthier next season?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three VJ years of defense. All years Cardinals finished outside top 20 for run defense. VJ is a disaster barring the first few games of the season..note that defense was healthy in the Rams game minus Alford.
Three VJ years of defense. All years Cardinals finished outside top 20 for run defense. VJ is a disaster barring the first few games of the season..note that defense was healthy in the Rams game minus Alford.
I really don’t think they can fire VJ at this point. Anyone coming in is essentially on a one year deal pending making the playoffs and winning at least one game next year.