Wildcard weekend gameday thread 1-15/1-16-2022

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I turned the game off when Chiefs went up by 14. Burger had no arm-strength whatsoever and was a freakin corpse. And after seeing the final score, I’m glad Ive made that decision.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy expected the league office to put more time on the clock

The Cowboys made a calculated risk at the end of Sunday night’s loss to the 49ers. And it failed.

With 14 seconds left, no timeouts, and the ball on the San Francisco 41, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy called a quarterback draw.

Dak Prescott sprinted all the way to the 24 yard line before sliding to a stop. But Prescott, instead of giving the ball to the umpire, gave the ball to a teammate. That set the stage for the umpire to come crashing through in an effort to spot the ball before the next snap.

And it kept the Cowboys from getting the ball snapped before the clock struck zero.

After the game, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that they practice the quarterback draw in that situation every week, via Ed Werder of ESPN. (Apparently, they don’t practice it enough.) Prescott stayed up for too long and, as mentioned above, he failed to give the ball to the umpire.

McCarthy also said he was told by officials that the modified sky judge apparatus operated from the league office was likely to put more time on the clock. That didn’t happen, obviously.

It’s probably good that the league office didn’t intervene. If they’d given the Cowboys another snap and if the Cowboys had won the game, “the fix is in” cries would have been heard all week, with 49ers fans and others insisting that the league “wanted” the Cowboys to advance.

Ultimately, it’s the fault of the coaching staff and the players. The play was poorly executed on the back end, which means that the coaches didn’t do a sufficient job of teaching the importance of getting things done quickly and cleanly as the final seconds of the game evaporate.

How do you expect the refs to put more time on the clock?

Why would he even think that?

Bottom line is the last paragraph

Dak should have stopped running earlier and given the ball to the ref, not a teammate

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess Cowboys/49ers was the only game yesterday. An hour and 20 minutes on Get Up! and all they've talked about was Dallas. LOL

I'm glad that they all unanimously agree it was all on the Cowboys and not the officials. Love them showing Larry Legend running and getting to the ball and getting it to the spot.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How depressing is it to know that Kevin Minter has more super bowl rings than Larry Legend? 1 and maybe 2.
Not depressing to me. Larry just got drafted by the Cards. Lots of lesser players bounce around and end up with rings.

I will always be amazed at Larry's stats when the QBs he had throwing to him are taken into consideration. Truly amazing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mike McCarthy expected the league office to put more time on the clock

The Cowboys made a calculated risk at the end of Sunday night’s loss to the 49ers. And it failed.

With 14 seconds left, no timeouts, and the ball on the San Francisco 41, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy called a quarterback draw.

Dak Prescott sprinted all the way to the 24 yard line before sliding to a stop. But Prescott, instead of giving the ball to the umpire, gave the ball to a teammate. That set the stage for the umpire to come crashing through in an effort to spot the ball before the next snap.

And it kept the Cowboys from getting the ball snapped before the clock struck zero.

After the game, Cowboys coach Mike McCarthy told reporters that they practice the quarterback draw in that situation every week, via Ed Werder of ESPN. (Apparently, they don’t practice it enough.) Prescott stayed up for too long and, as mentioned above, he failed to give the ball to the umpire.

McCarthy also said he was told by officials that the modified sky judge apparatus operated from the league office was likely to put more time on the clock. That didn’t happen, obviously.

It’s probably good that the league office didn’t intervene. If they’d given the Cowboys another snap and if the Cowboys had won the game, “the fix is in” cries would have been heard all week, with 49ers fans and others insisting that the league “wanted” the Cowboys to advance.

Ultimately, it’s the fault of the coaching staff and the players. The play was poorly executed on the back end, which means that the coaches didn’t do a sufficient job of teaching the importance of getting things done quickly and cleanly as the final seconds of the game evaporate.

How do you expect the refs to put more time on the clock?

Why would he even think that?

Bottom line is the last paragraph

Dak should have stopped running earlier and given the ball to the ref, not a teammate

Or they could have not run a QB draw with like 14 seconds left when it was only 2nd and 1 and you have 3 plays left.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My honest opinion is the one team I wouldn't want to play right now is the Niners.

This system they have now where they put Deebo in the backfield and run all these well designed run plays is exactly what we don;t do well against.

They didn't do any of this when we played them in either game.

This is a completely different team to what we played. They brought this in week 10, along with making some changes on defense, and they only lost 1 game since. A close 17-20 defeat at the Titans.

Niners are super on form right now.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My honest opinion is the one team I wouldn't want to play right now is the Niners.

This system they have now where they put Deebo in the backfield and run all these well designed run plays is exactly what we don;t do well against.

They didn't do any of this when we played them in either game.

This is a completely different team to what we played. They brought this in week 10, along with making some changes on defense, and they only lost 1 game since. A close 17-20 defeat at the Titans.

Niners are super on form right now.
Eh I’d still rather play the Niners than the Packers again. At the end of the day, Jimmy is still their QB & almost blew the game but Dak, McCarthy, & Kellen Moore had other ideas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose