2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I actually meant to post the clip but forgot to attach it. His hands are at the top of the square.

GP2 had a lob dunk over Morant in the recent game but Morant was backpedalling so it wasn't like he outjumped him, Morant is one of the few guys his size in the league I think could outjump Payton. Payton actually won a jump ball against a 7 footer last week, didn't even steal it just outjumped him, Valanciunis.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Morant leaps so high I've always been concerned he might be susceptible to injury if he lands wrong.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morant leaps so high I've always been concerned he might be susceptible to injury if he lands wrong.

Yeah he's not as good but he's his generations Allen Iverson kind of and that's what made Iverson so rare he didn't really get hurt much despite the way he played. Morant seems just to have that crazy understanding of where he is at all times in the air. Payton hurt his ankle on an awkward landing recently and when they showed the replay I thought uh oh ankle he's out for 2 weeks. He was back in the game later and he's still playing. But Morant is other worldly athletic, Azabuike was talking about Morant he said that guy would be a great CB or WR in the NFL he's that crazy athletic, and then joked right about now the Warriors are wishing he played football.

IT was interesting at one point in the game they showed a stat that said when guarded by GP2, Morant was only 2-11 in the 2 plus games they'd played this year. During the game everytime GP2 was on him they'd set a screen to get a switch to get someone else on him. But later in the game Morant actually went right at Payton several times and scored on him 2-3 times you could see the look on Payton's face he just wasn't used to someone going at him like that and beating him.

AMazing to think he and Zion were on the same AAU team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Piston's trade for Bol Bol has been voided after physical.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawks trade Cam Reddish to the Knicks which includes a 1st round pick in return.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derrick Jones Jr. of Bulls is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a bone bruise in right knee.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's amazing the Suns have the best record in the NBA playing at half speed. If they ever kick it into gear, watch out.
How do you figure half speed?

I don't think it's going to get much better. I mean how would it? I guess Payne and Crowder could shoot better - but other than that what?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure half speed?

I don't think it's going to get much better. I mean how would it? I guess Payne and Crowder could shoot better - but other than that what?

IMO, the Suns have been playing out of sync since they lost to Boston on December 31th. They had a good game against Charlotte but they are not clicking the way I know they can where they run off strings of wins.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
IMO, the Suns have been playing out of sync since they lost to Boston on December 31th. They had a good game against Charlotte but they are not clicking the way I know they can where they run off strings of wins.
There's been a lot of extenuating circumstances since that Boston game though.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Milwaukee absolutely taking it to GSW right now up 30 halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Bucks up by 39 at half. Golden State has to be hoping to avoid a finals match up with Milwaukee more than we are.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at ESPN's gamecast for the Warriors vs Bucks and they had the Bucks winning to start the 3rd quarter with a 99.8% probability. That's virtually unheard of. They usually don't go that far until the final minute because anything can happen. You see teams blow 20+ point leads regularly now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at ESPN's gamecast for the Warriors vs Bucks and they had the Bucks winning to start the 3rd quarter with a 99.8% probability. That's virtually unheard of. They usually don't go that far until the final minute because anything can happen. You see teams blow 20+ point leads regularly now.
True but the Bucks had a 39 point lead entering the 3rd quarter, teams don't usually give up leads that big especially at home.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I should get all the credit after deeming them unbeatable in a series. Steph is in the worst slump in years.
-

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Milwaukee absolutely taking it to GSW right now up 30 halfway through the 2nd quarter.

I got off work we picked up food at Burritozilla, I walked in to get the food and the game was on 48-24. Get home and it's 35. By the time I took a shower etc it was halftime and 39.

We didn't have Draymond but otherwise pretty full roster.

The only "good" thing from that game was again extended minutes for Kuminga, he's not there yet but he's going to be a pretty good player you can see he's starting to figure it out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should get all the credit after deeming them unbeatable in a series. Steph is in the worst slump in years.
-

One of the announcers was commenting during the Memphis game that he wonders if Steph got exposed around the same time his brother in law Daimion Lee had Covid but just didn't test positive. the timeline of when Lee got sick and when Steph's slump started are pretty close.

But with how much they get tested seems unlikely Steph wouldn't have tested positive, i think he's just apparently human and having a big slump.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the announcers was commenting during the Memphis game that he wonders if Steph got exposed around the same time his brother in law Daimion Lee had Covid but just didn't test positive. the timeline of when Lee got sick and when Steph's slump started are pretty close.

But with how much they get tested seems unlikely Steph wouldn't have tested positive, i think he's just apparently human and having a big slump.

Steph Curry has been carrying the Warriors but some of that load should lighten when Draymond Green returns and if Klay Thompson lives up to expectations.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An aside but Mullin said on the postgame last night that while he thinks the Warriors are a contender this year he said if the older guys can get healthy next season is probably the year the Warriors are more likely to win another title. His rationale was the young guys, Wiseman, Poole and especially Kuminga, but also by then they will know what to expect from Klay. His comment was this year a game like the Bucks shows you just how small they are, especially without Draymond. A year from now with improvement from Kuminga, a healthy and improved Wiseman they won't be as small and if Curry, Klay, Draymond etc are still healthy and impacting then they could make noise.

FWIW Kerr loves Kuminga after the loss he said you can see lots of similarities with him and Greek Freak, he's smaller but in many ways he is as a rookie where Giannis was, if he can work that hard and improve he has a chance to be really good. Unless he grows he won't be THAT good but you can see Kerr still loves him they don't regret at all picking him over Franz Wagner .

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An aside but Mullin said on the postgame last night that while he thinks the Warriors are a contender this year he said if the older guys can get healthy next season is probably the year the Warriors are more likely to win another title. His rationale was the young guys, Wiseman, Poole and especially Kuminga, but also by then they will know what to expect from Klay. His comment was this year a game like the Bucks shows you just how small they are, especially without Draymond. A year from now with improvement from Kuminga, a healthy and improved Wiseman they won't be as small and if Curry, Klay, Draymond etc are still healthy and impacting then they could make noise.

FWIW Kerr loves Kuminga after the loss he said you can see lots of similarities with him and Greek Freak, he's smaller but in many ways he is as a rookie where Giannis was, if he can work that hard and improve he has a chance to be really good. Unless he grows he won't be THAT good but you can see Kerr still loves him they don't regret at all picking him over Franz Wagner .

Kuminga is really good now and will only get better.

I haven't seen anything that diminishes the outlook for the Warriors.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kuminga is really good now and will only get better.

I haven't seen anything that diminishes the outlook for the Warriors.

I think the size this year is a real issue in a 7 game series. Mullin said they have a great small lineup but you can't play it for 48 minutes and the amount of effort they have to expend to cover for the lack of size causes issues as they play multiple games close together. Still not clear when Wiseman will be back I kind of feel like it's being delayed without us being told why, he hasn't been cleared for contact work yet, they've said he'll play in the G league when he first gets back, so it's seeming like his return is not as imminent as we hoped. Which is where Kuminga becomes a key, he's only 6'8"but he's long and can jump.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the size this year is a real issue in a 7 game series. Mullin said they have a great small lineup but you can't play it for 48 minutes and the amount of effort they have to expend to cover for the lack of size causes issues as they play multiple games close together. Still not clear when Wiseman will be back I kind of feel like it's being delayed without us being told why, he hasn't been cleared for contact work yet, they've said he'll play in the G league when he first gets back, so it's seeming like his return is not as imminent as we hoped. Which is where Kuminga becomes a key, he's only 6'8"but he's long and can jump.

I think the Warriors have the pieces but as a Suns fan I hope they don't put them together.

Did you read where Steve Kerr compares Kuminga to Giannis when he was a rookie?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Warriors have the pieces but as a Suns fan I hope they don't put them together.

Did you read where Steve Kerr compares Kuminga to Giannis when he was a rookie?

Yeah I mentioned that briefly in an earlier post. They were talking about it during the game on Warriors tv too so he actually said it before the game too not just after Kuminga played well last night.

One of the guys on the postgame show said guys on the team have told him that Iggy says it all the time, he thinks Kuminga is going to be a star. He and Draymond have both adopted the kid trying to help him get to that next level.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mentioned that briefly in an earlier post. They were talking about it during the game on Warriors tv too so he actually said it before the game too not just after Kuminga played well last night.

One of the guys on the postgame show said guys on the team have told him that Iggy says it all the time, he thinks Kuminga is going to be a star. He and Draymond have both adopted the kid trying to help him get to that next level.

It's hard to believe Kuminga is a rookie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe Kuminga is a rookie.

Just turned 19 in October. THere was a point where I thought man if we'd picked Wagner he'd be heavy in our rotation now but the more I see of Kuminga the more I'm glad we picked him. He's going to be really good. SO is Wagner btw.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just turned 19 in October. THere was a point where I thought man if we'd picked Wagner he'd be heavy in our rotation now but the more I see of Kuminga the more I'm glad we picked him. He's going to be really good. SO is Wagner btw.

The 2021 NBA Draft is looking like a special one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose