2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Heat game showed a preview of a Warriors-Suns match-up in the playoffs.

The Heat might even have played the Warriors style of offense and defense better than the Warriors.

A few thoughts about that. The Suns must play intense defense for 48 minutes and rebound. Controlling tempo is imperative. Can't allow these type teams to go on scoring binges. It builds confidence when they do.

Suns must play a center who is active on that given night whether it's Ayton, McGee, Stix or Biyombo. No standing around versus a team like the Warriors who excel in the passing game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can Steph stay healthy? That was their biggest concern before Klay coming back. Steph was looking ragged there for a bit, and i think he had a minor injury? Klay definitely will keep the other fresh and the opposing teams defense even more honest.

Oh, it was nice to see the Klay drive and dunk. Did he dunk yes, was it his normal explosion, no. I dont think he'll do that often. I remember thinking Amare was back when he'd have an amazing dunk here and there but it was just never the same.

Steph was largely gassed although he does have a leg contusion. One thing Azabuike said in the last game was with Klay back the Warriors may go back to the old sub pattern that they used even last year that Steph seemed to prefer to this year. the total minutes were similar but they came at different points in the game and he seemed to press. I kind of felt like Steph would think I'm coming out soon and start to take shots he wouldn't normally take because he wanted to extend the lead before he sat on the bench. He was so used to the old pattern I think the new one hurt him.

It remains to be seen if that's the case. Klay started the first game but I think that was more ceremonial to get him introduced, I suspect he'll be coming off the bench to start.

the guy I'm curious about now is Poole, he was fine in the first game but it will be interesting to see how he handles having Klay back will he feel less pressure or will he look over his shoulder etc.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key to the Warriors is despite reputation this year they largely win on defense. Yes when they lose they usually shoot terribly from 3 but they win lots of times when they don't shoot GREAT from 3 either. Because of the defense. Klay struggled a bit defensively first game, got blown by for a dunk on the baseline one time but he has a history of being a good defender so even if he's not all the way back, and he won't be, he probably won't hurt the defense. The question on that is Wiseman if he gets back and gets PT he HAS to be better defensively than he was last year or he WILL hurt the defense.

It's amazing when a team plays good defense how it gives the offense wide open looks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing when a team plays good defense how it gives the offense wide open looks.

The good thing about Klay too is he seems to not really care who scores if they win. Someone asked him about GP2 because obviously in theory they compete for minutes and he said I could watch that guy play defense all day I would pay to watch him he's that good. So if he plays less minutes because of GP2 or Poole but the team wins, he doesn't care. And they can reduce Steph's minutes now too which saves him for the playoffs.

The real concern to me is integrating Wiseman because nobody has any idea what to expect.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The good thing about Klay too is he seems to not really care who scores if they win. Someone asked him about GP2 because obviously in theory they compete for minutes and he said I could watch that guy play defense all day I would pay to watch him he's that good. So if he plays less minutes because of GP2 or Poole but the team wins, he doesn't care. And they can reduce Steph's minutes now too which saves him for the playoffs.

The real concern to me is integrating Wiseman because nobody has any idea what to expect.

As an opponent, I'm more concerned about the Warriors style of play than specific players. I know that sounds kind of weird but I thought the Suns worried too much about Curry when they last played.

They are an excellent, crisp passing team always looking for the open player and as you noted, they play predatory defense.

Klay Thompson will be fine as long as he stays healthy. The Warriors offense will find the open shooter because they are an unselfish team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an opponent, I'm more concerned about the Warriors style of play than specific players. I know that sounds kind of weird but I thought the Suns worried too much about Curry when they last played.

They are an excellent, crisp passing team always looking for the open player and as you noted, they play predatory defense.

Klay Thompson will be fine as long as he stays healthy. The Warriors offense will find the open shooter because they are an unselfish team.

My concern in a Warriors series is that I think Kerr is just a better coach than Monty. And that’s not a knock on Monty. He’s a very very good to possibly flat out great coach, but I think Kerr is a HOF coach.

The way the picked apart our D in that Xmas day game, down multiple starters was... startling for lack of a better word. They knew exactly where and when to attack to get us scrambling and end up with wide open shots. Spoelstra, another great coach, saw those same angles and it didn’t seem like Monty had a counter.

Talent wise, I think both teams are pretty much equal so in the end, it comes down to Kerr v. Monty coaching and I think whatever edge Kerr has there is why I think the Warriors will be such a tough out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grizzlies and Warriors in tight game

memphis is the best team in the NBA right now. With Draymond maybe Warriors pull it out but Memphis is legit, great defense. Ziaire Williams and Tyus Jones had unusually good shooting games but they are REALLY good.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way we've played of late just getting to the 2nd round is starting to sound good to me.

It's amazing the Suns have the best record in the NBA playing at half speed. If they ever kick it into gear, watch out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damian Lillard is planning to have surgery per sources.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damian Lillard is planning to have surgery per sources.

Whoever gets that 10th spot for the play in game is going to have a putrid record. Might see a 50+ loss team trying to make the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever gets that 10th spot for the play in game is going to have a putrid record. Might see a 50+ loss team trying to make the playoffs.

Agree. The bottom of the West is really down. The Spurs were 10th last season at 33-39.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. The bottom of the West is really down. The Spurs were 10th last season at 33-39.

Out East it is wild to see that the Hawks are all the way down in 12th. 6 months ago they were a Trae Young rolled ankle from maybe making the Finals, now that is all looking pretty flukeish.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out East it is wild to see that the Hawks are all the way down in 12th. 6 months ago they were a Trae Young rolled ankle from maybe making the Finals, now that is all looking pretty flukeish.

It's amazing what happened to the Hawks and the Pacers should be so much better than their record.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yup. I expected the Hawks to take a big step forward. Watching them is what makes me take my foot off the "oh no" button when the Suns have a bad loss here or there. We've sustained our good-great play from last year and it's probably because of one guy... CP3. We have the calm within almost any storm with his leadership while Trey Young just isn't that kind of guy.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damian Lillard is to undego surgery on Thursday,

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damian Lillard is to undego surgery on Thursday,

Concession. Giving in to the tank. Not that the surgery isn't warranted, but doing it now is the issue.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concession. Giving in to the tank. Not that the surgery isn't warranted, but doing it now is the issue.Lillard isn't ruled out for the season.

Lillard isn't ruled out for the season. Maybe it's what is best.

Frank Kaminsky had surgery in hopes of a more certain return this season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably in the thread somewhere but the block by Ja Morant against the Lakers? My goodness that kid is an athletic freak. He closed the win over teh Warriors took over down the stretch too

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably in the thread somewhere but the block by Ja Morant against the Lakers? My goodness that kid is an athletic freak. He closed the win over teh Warriors took over down the stretch too

Here is a replay if anyone hasn't seen the Ja Morant block on Avery Bradley.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a replay if anyone hasn't seen the Ja Morant block on Avery Bradley.

Thanks I actually meant to post the clip but forgot to attach it. His hands are at the top of the square.

GP2 had a lob dunk over Morant in the recent game but Morant was backpedalling so it wasn't like he outjumped him, Morant is one of the few guys his size in the league I think could outjump Payton. Payton actually won a jump ball against a 7 footer last week, didn't even steal it just outjumped him, Valanciunis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson