Memory lane: Do you remember your initial reaction to this draft pick?

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
If so what was it in real time?
-
You must be registered for see images attach
I was happy with the pick and also with my prognostic skills in pre-draft thread. I called he and JJ Arrington.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rolle was a fun pick. Getting a DB from the U seemed as automatic as it comes at the time.

Remember when he fumbled a punt because no one told him he was returning punts before the game so he greased up his forearms?

On Rodgers: he wasn’t a sure thing for at least the first couple years of his career. If Green Bay thinks thay have a Hall of Famer behind Favre, zero chance they draft Brian Brohm in the second round.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It was always clear he was a safety and later made several Pro Bowls as such. My most vivid memory of Antrel is the off-season where Graves and Keim Time essentially swapped him, Anquan, and DRC for Kerry Rhodes and Kevin Kolbcussion.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was always clear he was a safety and later made several Pro Bowls as such. My most vivid memory of Antrel is the off-season where Graves and Keim Time essentially swapped him, Anquan, and DRC for Kerry Rhodes and Kevin Kolbcussion.
Kerry Rhodes was a very good addition
Rhodes Adrian Wilson was probably the best Cardinals safety duo I remember

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rolle was a fun pick. Getting a DB from the U seemed as automatic as it comes at the time.

Remember when he fumbled a punt because no one told him he was returning punts before the game so he greased up his forearms?

On Rodgers: he wasn’t a sure thing for at least the first couple years of his career. If Green Bay thinks thay have a Hall of Famer behind Favre, zero chance they draft Brian Brohm in the second round.
But they were drafting QBs frequently. I think they drafted one per year for a while abd get churning them into other assets.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
HA!!! For sure! Pat Summerall used to butcher Aeneas Williams name as well!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But they were drafting QBs frequently. I think they drafted one per year for a while abd get churning them into other assets.
You must be registered for see images attach

Drafting two QBs in the 2008 draft after taking one in the fifth round the year after Rodgers doesn't do much to shake my feeling that the Packers weren't 100% on their guy while he was sitting behind Favre.

It's one thing to keep drafting mid-round picks and hoping to spin them off like Andy Reid was doing at the time. Three years into the Aaron Rodgers experiment they were picking up a very highly regarded prospect in the middle of the second round.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Teams would draft QB’s despite having franchise QB’s back then. The Patriots took Rohan Davey, Ryan Mallett and Jimmy G while Brady was in his prime. I think San Diego drafted Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd rd after Rivers first year starting going 14-2. The WFT took RG3 and Cousins in the same draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would Rodgers be Rodgers if he came to AZ? I would wager no.

I was thinking the same. Where a player lands has an indelible impact on whom they become.

But maybe if he was even sub Rodgers he could’ve been the best QB we ever had for a decade+

He'd still be great maybe not as great but he'd have inherited 2 great WR's in Fitz and Boldin. But I think if he has this much issues over the years with GB management and coaches, he'd have never stuck it out in Arizona he'd have gotten fed up and forced his way out.

To this day I can't believe the 49ers took Alex Smith and he wound up being a very good player. But that choice cost them multiple Super Bowls
They had to totally overhaul his mechanics and Rodgers seemed brittle his first couple of years. Think he got injured in preaseason.

Man thats a name I forgot. I still remember Steve Young saying Aaron needs to worry about him.

I know they werent sold on Rodgers because the GM all but said they'd draft Vince Young one year later. He'd said they'd hate to pass on the next Michael Jordan. Funny since Rodgers gets a few people calling him the GOAT now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Teams would draft QB’s despite having franchise QB’s back then. The Patriots took Rohan Davey, Ryan Mallett and Jimmy G while Brady was in his prime. I think San Diego drafted Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd rd after Rivers first year starting going 14-2. The WFT took RG3 and Cousins in the same draft.
Dear God, I remember this board being OBSESSED with getting Charlie Whitehurst at QB via trade/FA (can't remember which), and being mocked mercilessly for not wanting him at all. Thank goodness we didn't go that route.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Rodgers it was mainly where he held the ball because Tedford teaches QB's to hold the ball up by the ear so you're ready to throw. Rodgers learned that by having the ball there it made it harder to use his legs so the Packers convinced him to drop it down to where he'd held it in HS and Juco. Rodgers said it took awhile because Tedford had drilled him so much the other way but he eventually got back to where he used to throw the ball.

The other thing was then learning to use his legs to get power and velocity. he said that's when he became a better deep thrower before it was mostly arm when he learned to generate velocity from his legs he suddenly became a much better deep thrower.

Interestingly his QB coach was Tom Clements who of course coached Kyler for 2 years here. I suspect Rodgers would have been great eventually anywhere but maybe not THIS great he was in the perfect situation, watch Favre for a few years, suck up the coaching and then put it all to use

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man I was on Cloud 9 with entire 2005 Draft after it was over. I thought ARZ had 5 future All Pros with Rolle, Arrington, Green, Blackstock & Brown. All 5 were studs coming out of college.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Dear God, I remember this board being OBSESSED with getting Charlie Whitehurst at QB via trade/FA (can't remember which), and being mocked mercilessly for not wanting him at all. Thank goodness we didn't go that route.
That was absolutely the strangest obsession.

Everyone was so sure Whisenhunt could coach him up. I am pretty sure Whitehurst signed in Tennessee when Whisenhunt was the head coach there and had some unremarkable games.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ahhhh, Charlie Whitehurst, AKA Clipboard Jesus!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose