Supporting Member
Reaction score
UCLA cancels the UA and ASU games just announced )-:

I assume they really mean postponed

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USC postpones their games with ASU and UA too so it's looking like a state or LA County thing

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I honestly at this point don't know what it is. Clark said in his recent video that all the players are fine, that doesn't mean some of them don't or didn't get Covid but I don't know why they're taking it this long.

I'm guessing it's an LA County thing since USC is doing it too.

The Pac 12 rescinded the UW forfeit against UCLA because of the rule changes so UCLA has 3 conference games to reschedule now

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
@Russ Smith tell your boys to stop being sissies and play Arizona.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith tell your boys to stop being sissies and play Arizona.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's apparently the first practice since Dec 15th.

They just cancelled their bowl game today against NC State

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
It's apparently the first practice since Dec 15th.

They just cancelled their bowl game today against NC State
Gymnastics, too. UCLA is apparently a Covid petri dish

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gymnastics, too. UCLA is apparently a Covid petri dish

No it's that LA County has much stricter rules and protocols. UCLA could have played in every game they cancelled under the Pac 12 rules, just not under LA County rules.

My understanding is every time they got a new case the 10 days part started over because of the close contact rule.

I hope we get to see the games it sounds like the new Pac 12 rules make it far less likely that UA and ASU would refuse to reschedule. The rescheduling stuff is a direct result of what Oregon did last year when Will Richardson was out injured. Oregon kept postponing games against good teams due to Covid breakout, and then stalled long enough to reschedule most of their tough games after Richardson came back. It worked, they won games with him they would have lost without him but it ticked off the rest of the Pac 12 so they put in rules this year to give the opponents more say in if the game got rescheduled. But now there's just so much Covid they changed the rules again. UCLA had won over UW by forfeit, that forfeit has been rescinded they now have to reschedule the game. Hopefully UA and ASU games get rescheduled too I want to see them play.

And as mentioned earlier, UA has incentive to want to play the game as there's not much chance left on their schedule for quality wins beyond UCLA and USC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI after several people including someone whose name rhymes with Case of Beer posted that UCLA should either play Arizona or forfeit having returned to practice, UCLA put out a clarification that said they have just returned to small group workouts, not practice. When the same people still objected, Ben Bolch of the LA Times said UCLA has SIX scholarship players who are currently not in the Covid protocols(again LA County still has a longer quarantine period) and the Pac 12 rule says you have to play if you have at least 7.

Mr case of beer also complained that UCLA got a forfeit from UW in a similar situation, as mentioned yesterday that's because the old rule was different and UW had enough players to play the old rule but asked out of the game because they were short handed. After last season's issues, UCLA declined so the conference forfeited the game. under the new rules the conference basically wiped out all those forfeited games(conference only) so teams now have to reschedule.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
FYI after several people including someone whose name rhymes with Case of Beer posted that UCLA should either play Arizona or forfeit having returned to practice, UCLA put out a clarification that said they have just returned to small group workouts, not practice. When the same people still objected, Ben Bolch of the LA Times said UCLA has SIX scholarship players who are currently not in the Covid protocols(again LA County still has a longer quarantine period) and the Pac 12 rule says you have to play if you have at least 7.

Mr case of beer also complained that UCLA got a forfeit from UW in a similar situation, as mentioned yesterday that's because the old rule was different and UW had enough players to play the old rule but asked out of the game because they were short handed. After last season's issues, UCLA declined so the conference forfeited the game. under the new rules the conference basically wiped out all those forfeited games(conference only) so teams now have to reschedule.
The frustration from the Arizona side comes from the lack of transparency. All that was reported was that UCLA practiced three days before the game was supposed to be held. All UCLA had to say was that there were only six scholarship players available and the confusion wouldn’t be there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frustration from the Arizona side comes from the lack of transparency. All that was reported was that UCLA practiced three days before the game was supposed to be held. All UCLA had to say was that there were only six scholarship players available and the confusion wouldn’t be there.

My guess is that the actual UA program, Lloyd etc knew and it was just people like Sheer that were complaining but I don't really know.

But if UCLA didn't tell Arizona they only had 6 guys then yes I would agree. UCLA has not handled the Covid thing well they cancelled the Holiday Bowl at the last second yesterday because they had 1 interior DL left not on the Covid list and were afraid that meant the entire DL had Covid since they all meet together regularly. Should have tested earlier literally thousands of UCLA fans were driving from LA to San Diego for the game and who knows how many NC State fans had flown there.

Sheer got his panties in a bunch over it but then eventually admitted on Twitter last night that with 6 scholarship players UCLA can't play the game, at least shouldn't play the game.

Believe me the team and the fans can't wait to get back to playing again.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game is supposedly now Tue jan 11th but Arizona hasn't officially confirmed it yet. UCLA plays ASU on the 5th then Cal, then the next week would play UA on Tue and then 2 more games. ASU is official, UA is still unofficial apparently UA hasn't confirmed they can play on Tue.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since Cronin gave more context today it explains in more detail why they had to cancel the game. UCLA has only 11 players with 2 guys out for the year with knee injuries, when Covid hit, Riley was still out so they had only 10. At one point or another all but 3 of their players were positive so he said throughout the shutdown they were below the minimum 7 scholarship players. 2 of the guys were 16 days with no workouts allowed because the UCLA rule is if you were symptomatic you had to take heart tests as well.

ASU game is now postponed ASU has a breakout. UCLA is supposed to play Cal this weekend. The Arizona game is supposed to be Tue of next week but it's not on the schedule yet which either means Arizona hasn't accepted it, the Pac 12 hasn't accepted it, or ARizona might have their own issues. So let's hope it's not the latter. UCLA is supposed to play the Oregon schools after Arizona, both Oregon schools shut down yesterday so those 2 games might not happen either.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Since Cronin gave more context today it explains in more detail why they had to cancel the game. UCLA has only 11 players with 2 guys out for the year with knee injuries, when Covid hit, Riley was still out so they had only 10. At one point or another all but 3 of their players were positive so he said throughout the shutdown they were below the minimum 7 scholarship players. 2 of the guys were 16 days with no workouts allowed because the UCLA rule is if you were symptomatic you had to take heart tests as well.

ASU game is now postponed ASU has a breakout. UCLA is supposed to play Cal this weekend. The Arizona game is supposed to be Tue of next week but it's not on the schedule yet which either means Arizona hasn't accepted it, the Pac 12 hasn't accepted it, or ARizona might have their own issues. So let's hope it's not the latter. UCLA is supposed to play the Oregon schools after Arizona, both Oregon schools shut down yesterday so those 2 games might not happen either.

Rumor is that the conference teams are pissed at UCLA for the UW forfeit/cancellation and is not trying to do UCLA any favors.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now it's my turn having gotten some info, allegedly UCLA edit that I misread it. UCLA offered to play Arizona N Thur apparently THIS thur, Arizona declined. UCLA is trying to get the game next Tue the 11th UA still hasn't agreed to it. UA supposed to play Colorado thur

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor is that the conference teams are pissed at UCLA for the UW forfeit/cancellation and is not trying to do UCLA any favors.

To be clear that's what Scheer said. He also posted today that UCLA is about to make Arizona fans very mad. What he means is UCLA is going to play Long Beach State, again, on thurs. what he's NOT saying is they offered to play Arizona on Thur and UA refused.

Again UW forfeited because that was the Pac 12 rule, they since changed the rule and now the game is reinstated they have to schedule it. It is true UCLA wasn't eager to help UW with that because last year UW postponed a game at the last second wtih UCLA because UW forgot to set up backup refs, then a couple of the scheduled refs had to cancel due to Covid so they couldn't play the game. UCLA was furious because the backup refs thing was part of the process at the time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jan 11th is a no go, nobody seems to know why. That was the proposed game for UCLA and UA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently the Thur thing was not real, it was being discussed in the media as a date both teams had available but it didn't get to the point of Arizona turning it down it sounds like the conference wanted the game to be played with fans and was aware UCLA was probably going to have to play without fans. So UCLA took the LBSU game instead, which will be played without fans.

This whole thing sucks if they had just done a 2 week pause, didn't even have to be national just conferences deciding on their own. they could have gotten everyone under control and bubbled up. We'd still have flare ups obviously this thing is highly contagious but what is happening now is as a couple of teams come out of stoppage, more teams go in to they overlap and you are losing more and more games.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
No game this weekend lol. What a mess

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Embarrassing the conference didn’t force a game
Apparently they didn’t want two Top-10 teams playing on the P12 network. Basically, the conference admitting its channel is unfindable

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game is rescheduled Jan 25th 8pm at Pauley, that's a Tue. There's no fans in Pauley until Jan 21st so hopefully it won't get extended and then they can have fans for this game.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
LOL the conference is so stupid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL the conference is so stupid.
An absolute joke. The conference schedule has a serious back log and they're having teams schedule random OOC teams instead of playing make up games. Apparently all because they know no one watches the pac 12 network?

Maybe the decade long hold out for more money from the providers isn't working, just a thought.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is really really good. Best Arizona team since the one that had the tragic Elite 8 game against Illinois.

They are a legit 9 players deep, they play great on both ends and they're really athletic. Their total lack of experience in the tourny is my only concern... this team is a serious title contender.