2021 NBA COVID Related. No Personal or Political Attacks!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA announces postponements.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA has no plans to suspend it's season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBPA reports 97% of NBA player have been fully vaccinated and 65% have received booster shot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ninety-seven percent of NBA player have been fully vaccinated.

65% have gotten the booster too. I hope the Suns have helped that number get to that point. With 11 games in 21 days, we could struggle if all of a sudden we have a rash of Covid cases and the race for the 1 seed has very little room for error.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
65% have gotten the booster too. I hope the Suns have helped that number get to that point. With 11 games in 21 days, we could struggle if all of a sudden we have a rash of Covid cases and the race for the 1 seed has very little room for error.

This is really encouraging news although even with a booster shot I understand it's not 100% one can't get infected.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really encouraging news although even with a booster shot I understand it's not 100% one can't get infected.

It’s not 100% but your chances of protection are much much higher compared to people who got two doses six or eight months ago. That immunity is down to like 30% efficacy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not 100% but your chances of protection are much much higher compared to people who got two doses six or eight months ago. That immunity is down to like 30% efficacy.

I think Suns players are likely more conscientious about getting vaccinated than probably a lot of other NBA players.

My hope that it doesn't come back to bite them during a crucial part of the season or playoffs when the booster shots diminish in effectiveness.

I don't know the data on that but I suspect those who have been most recently infected may be protected longer going forward than someone who had a booster vaccine further back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Suns players are likely more conscientious about getting vaccinated than probably a lot of other NBA players.

My hope that it doesn't come back to bite them during a crucial part of the season or playoffs when the booster shots diminish in effectiveness.

I don't know the data on that but I suspect those who have been most recently infected may be protected longer than someone who had a booster vaccine further back.

I think we’re gonna find that we need boosters like every six-eight months until this thing really runs through almost everyone and becomes endemic.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we’re gonna find that we need boosters like every six-eight months until this thing really runs through almost everyone and becomes endemic.

I'd like to see routine booster shots approved to protect those who are conscientious about it and those who need it out of necessity for protection.

Really everyone needs to be doing it after being fully vaccinated.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cheesebeef

I just saw this. The Omicron variant is responsible for 90% of NBA cases.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the interview with the NBA Commissioner, Adam Silver.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the interview with the NBA Commissioner, Adam Silver.

I’m gonna be pissed if the league moves our game to help the Warriors because they are hit hard by Covid. Teams that take care of business off the court during a pandemic shouldn’t be penalized while those that haven’t get rewarded.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna be pissed if the league moves our game to help the Warriors because they are hit hard by Covid. Teams that take care of business off the court during a pandemic shouldn’t be penalized while those that haven’t get rewarded.
I have no idea whether GS is following all the guidelines or not - but you can still do everything you're supposed to and still get screwed if your opponent has players with covid that haven't yet been identified.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we are going to see throughout the season and the playoffs.

I'm hoping the next round of boosters will be approved soon or the team that's being careful and cautious will be penalized.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread, should have put it here: Regarding Omicron

It's been in England for about a month, really exploded the case rates starting about 3 weeks ago. In that time their hospitalization rates have hardly budged.

In South Africa their hospitalization rate is actually down during an explosion in cases.

Hospitalizations do lag behind cases but the early signs so far are good, it is the dominant strain all over the western world, the NBA said that the vast majority of their current cases are Omicron. This variant seems far less severe than those that preceded it, it also seems so contagious that efforts to contain it may be futile.

On Gambo's show they said the NBA is considering letting asymptomatic players play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks have 7 players in health and safety protocols.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

·
15m

New Orleans Pelicans G Nickeil Alexander-Walker has entered the league’s Covid protocols, sources tell ESPN. He had 27 points in victory over Portland on Tuesday. Alexander-Walker is Pels’ first player in protocols this season.