Isaiah Simmons is Invisible

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is tough for a player like Simmons to have an impact on a defense that says Tanner Vallejo is a better fit than Zaven Collins. Some schemes enable players to maximize their talents and others minimize their talents. At least for LBs, it is obvious which one ours is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought he’d be more of a playmaker. Felt like he flashed more the first half of the season than this second half.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vance Joseph doesn't put players in position to be playmakers. He does everything extremely vanilla, play your role and be in the zone you are supposed to be in, and hope the other team makes a mistake and throws the ball to you. Almost all of our INTs come from bad throws or receivers tipping the ball into the air. Simmons is great at blitzing but rarely gets the opportunity. When he's put in coverage you don't see much of him because he does a good job there. Todd Bowles would have the kid flying downhill.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really thought he’d be more of a playmaker. Felt like he flashed more the first half of the season than this second half.
How do you want him to flash? He flashes in coverage but that is not sexy at all for a LB. Also, the disadvantage to having him in this hybrid LB role is that he can't bulk up to be a LB or lean down to be a DB. He sits in the middle. Also, playing in a scheme that is assignment complicated slows fast players down.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Vance Joseph doesn't put players in position to be playmakers. He does everything extremely vanilla, play your role and be in the zone you are supposed to be in, and hope the other team makes a mistake and throws the ball to you. Almost all of our INTs come from bad throws or receivers tipping the ball into the air. Simmons is great at blitzing but rarely gets the opportunity. When he's put in coverage you don't see much of him because he does a good job there. Todd Bowles would have the kid flying downhill.
Yup. It is week 14 in a year where he has started every game, played huge snaps and Simmons has one more blitz this year than he did last year. Vance has him playing backwards.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I am not sure if you have noticed but Vance doesn't really change much. His scheme is pretty much the same as it was in Denver and has the same issues.

I'm sure you're a better student of the game than I Chopper, and I mean that man. I know I give you a hard time sometimes, and you're not always right, but I acknowledge your football acumen, and so I trust what you say above is true.

With that said, I wonder how many times we blitzed last night, and if it was below our average? It didn't seem like we blitzed a lot. Maybe we should blitz more then next time we play them. I'm not sure that we have much to lose.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm sure you're a better student of the game than I Chopper, and I mean that man. I know I give you a hard time sometimes, and you're not always right, but I acknowledge your football acumen, and so I trust what you say above is true.

With that said, I wonder how many times we blitzed last night, and if it was below our average? It didn't seem like we blitzed a lot. Maybe we should blitz more then next time we play them. I'm not sure that we have much to lose.
The only reason I take these stands on Vance is that I live in Colorado and watch Broncos games. I saw the transition from Wade Phillips to Vance to Fangio and heard the comments from the players. I feel like I have a good handle on what Vance is trying to do and where it has gotten him. All schemes have their weak spots but Vance's isn't like great DCs where he adjusts his scheme a bunch because of the matchup. It is very similar week to week regardless of the matchup and then he tries to adjust in-game as needed. That is why you didn't see him pressuring Stafford early to try to make him uncomfortable like other teams have recently done. Vance didn't do it because that is not what Vance does early in games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is tough for a player like Simmons to have an impact on a defense that says Tanner Vallejo is a better fit than Zaven Collins. Some schemes enable players to maximize their talents and others minimize their talents. At least for LBs, it is obvious which one ours is.
And yet we’ve invested two consecutive first round picks at the position. Keim not understand his coaches or schemes?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. These silly takes are just tiresome.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope he makes few nice plays at det he has been to incosisten but also has made some decent plays this yr

Still have faith simmons can be a valuable player for cards maybe new dc would help.... just sayin

Goooooo cards

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope he makes few nice plays at det he has been to incosisten but also has made some decent plays this yr

Still have faith simmons can be a valuable player for cards maybe new dc would help.... just sayin

Goooooo cards
He is already a valuable player. Lots of players weren't good this week, including two that will be in the hall of fame in Hopkins and Hudson.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It seems to me the officials are now targeting Simmons for dirty play. Between his late hits, hitting vulnerable receivers and QB roughing, he’s getting a rep as a dirty player. If he doesn’t clean this up he’ll become a bigger liability than an asset.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It seems to me the officials are now targeting Simmons for dirty play. Between his late hits, hitting vulnerable receivers and QB roughing, he’s getting a rep as a dirty player. If he doesn’t clean this up he’ll become a bigger liability than an asset.
Yeah, he's gotten way too many personal fouls, and most of the time it just stupid head hunting. Very discouraging.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yup. It is week 14 in a year where he has started every game, played huge snaps and Simmons has one more blitz this year than he did last year. Vance has him playing backwards.
I agree with you VJ has not been using Simmons to his versatility and talent level, but blitz him we will have Hicks in coverage. I saw that happen a few times in Seahawks and Bears games and I was not a fan of those play calls. Maybe Hicks should be the person to blitz more. Just a thought.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s commendable you’re still fighting this fight.

Wirfs over there locking up every EDGE he sees, protecting his QB with ease. Meanwhile, Simmons just overran another run play.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose