UofA Hoops 2021-2022 - Ushering In the Tommy Lloyd Era

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If Lloyd continues to boat race teams and drop a hunnit on the regular, recruits will line up to sign with Arizona again

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I think the top 3 teams in the conference alphabetically are Arizona, UCLA and USC. I had WSU in there too but they just had a bad loss.

UA's starting 5 is as good as just about anybody the question is the bench and if Kriisa holds up defensively at PG. Offensively they are really good and so far the overall defense looks good. USC looks right now to be really good although they haven't played anybody that great except San Diego State and they're pretty good not great this year. UCLA looked good until the flu bug hit the team, 3 straight bad games concluding with the Gonzaga blowout loss. They are past the flu now and might get Riley back soon. I figure that's the top 3. Oregon is a colossal disappointment so far

Early but Lloyd is a leading candidate if not the leading candidate for COTY so far. Colorado and Utah early surprises but schedules iffy.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
poor Oregon state. Wayne Tinkle is gonna ride that fraudulent E8 appearance to eternity

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
This week is going to be crazy. Wyoming is undefeated and #12 in NET ranking. Illinois is underperforming, but they have great players and it's in Champaigne. Gonna be hard.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week is going to be crazy. Wyoming is undefeated and #12 in NET ranking. Illinois is underperforming, but they have great players and it's in Champaigne. Gonna be hard.
BIM - Champaign

I know spelling is hard for the University of Arizona - Tuscon people :)

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
BIM - Champaign

I know spelling is hard for the University of Arizona - Tuscon people :)
I’ll correct it provided the announcers say Kofi’s last name properly

Lol

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2005 Elite Eight loss still stings.
Agreed. For me, that loss rivals the championship game loss to Duke.

I'm not sure which set of refs screwed us the most, the one that let J Will run over Gardner with no call (he was already in foul trouble). Or the set of refs that let Illinois intentionally foul us multiple times on multiple possessions to give them a chance to come back late on us.

I'll give Illinois credit for hitting some incredible shots to win that game but it doesn't happen if the men in stripes even pretended to do their job.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Credit to Miller for continuing to recruit his arse off despite the investigation and dipping into Europe. Credit to Tommy for getting them to buy in from day one. Idk a lot about his staff yet but apparently his assistants are crazy smart/hard workers.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Credit to Miller for continuing to recruit his arse off despite the investigation and dipping into Europe. Credit to Tommy for getting them to buy in from day one. Idk a lot about his staff yet but apparently his assistants are crazy smart/hard workers.

I don't know how good Wyoming actually is they didn't play a strong schedule but I watched enough in the first half to be REALLY impressed. I suspect UA is the best team in the conference right now. Mathurin is the best NBA prospect in the conference IMO and the way he's playing of late a leading POY contender, really upped his game. the pace UA is playing at this year is a huge factor in why they're so good they don't play against set defenses all the time but the crazy thing is for all teh talk about what a good defensive coach Miller was, the defense is better this year IMO.

You have to give Miller and staff credit for taking some of these kids and then for the current staff coaching them up. UCLA looked at Koloko quite a bit but wasn't interested, that was Alford not Cronin but they look stupid now he's probably the DPOY in the conference.

I still am not sure about the depth, and I'm not sure Kriisa won't get exposed a bit on defense but I think right now you are playing the best ball in the conference.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great win. Won at Illinois to go to 9-0. And just a suggestion for any team facing Illinois in the future, if you want to win the game don't get into a 3 point shooting contest with them.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great win. Won at Illinois to go to 9-0. And just a suggestion for any team facing Illinois in the future, if you want to win the game don't get into a 3 point shooting contest with them.
The refs let Cockburn dominate the inside. Amazing he was never called for dipping his shoulder into Koloko.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The refs let Cockburn dominate the inside. Amazing he was never called for dipping his shoulder into Koloko.
My initial post ripped the refs, I decided to edit it but yeah, it was absurd. The Cats dominated down low, something like 40-10 in the paint until late when they started letting Cockburn offensive foul his way to the basket.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How was this a foul?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good win. Showed toughness down the stretch. This team has pieces. Fun to watch! Mathuerin growing up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My initial post ripped the refs, I decided to edit it but yeah, it was absurd. The Cats dominated down low, something like 40-10 in the paint until late when they started letting Cockburn offensive foul his way to the basket.

People complain about NFL/NBA refs but it doesn’t get worse than CBB officiating. Coming from someone who’s team got the benefit of a lot of call at McKale refs are so easily intimidated in hostile environments. There’s almost no point playing a true OOC road game.

That said big win! Robbins got very lucky with the Lloyd hire.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing was Illinois was winning by drawing and kicking for 3's and then decided let's roll with Cockburn and it lost them the game. i think he was 5-15, Koloko just had him bugged the whole game it's why he kept bulling into him, and getting away with it. The final run by UA started because of misses and turnovers by Cockburn. Also agree with the announcer, the changing of defenses really bugged Cockburn he didn't know if they were going to double or not he was never comfortable and it got to where the post feeds to him were helping Arizona.

You saw the defensive issues with Kriisa he got lit up by both guards, but then he went bananas on offense in the 2nd half and ate up the Illini.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Zona actually fun to watch again? The boring ass underachieving Miller teams pretty much eunuchized my Zona ***** for the last six or seven years. Would love to have a college team to follow again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Zona actually fun to watch again? The boring ass underachieving Miller teams pretty much eunuchized my Zona ***** for the last six or seven years. Would love to have a college team to follow again.
Yes, they have talent and play a very exciting brand of basketball. And Mathurin is a star in the making.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes, they have talent and play a very exciting brand of basketball. And Mathurin is a star in the making.
Agreed. They’re fun to watch again. Start watching now so you’re familiar with the players later in the season.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People complain about NFL/NBA refs but it doesn’t get worse than CBB officiating. Coming from someone who’s team got the benefit of a lot of call at McKale refs are so easily intimidated in hostile environments. There’s almost no point playing a true OOC road game.

That said big win! Robbins got very lucky with the Lloyd hire.
Good to see some sanity. I was at the Illinois-Arizona game at McKale at couple years ago and the refs might as well have been in the huddle getting directions from Miller and wearing UA unis