Herm will be Back in 2022

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the worst 8-3 team I’ve ever seen.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad 8-4 team also.
That's one side of the coin. If you list out the adversity they had to deal with each game, like playing today without their linebackers, the car accident last week, the coaching suspensions, it's ridiculous.

They have overcome a lot of adversity to end up 8 and 4, beat USC, UCLA, and end up with the 3rd best record in the messy PAC12. But you are right, lots to fix here, passing game, penalties, etc, yet there are many positives too and 8 and 4 is better than a slew of other college teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they didn't keep Herm they might not have been able to lock down their five recruits and the 93rd (scouts) and 100+ (rivals) ranked class in the nation.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Herm declaring "he's back" doesn't mean anything except he doesn't plan to leave voluntarily. If Ray Anderson gets fired (hopefully), or the NCAA cracks down, I don't think it will much matter what Mediocre Herm plans.

Well RA went into the locker room after the game and told the team that Herm will be back next year. So there is that. Under all the circumstances, I think that was the best move.

This has a lot to do with money and just riding out the investigation before changing horses. Fans want national championships, etc. But a University like ASU isn't going to fire their head coach who has beat the rival down South 4 years in a row and finished with an 8-4 record. They will let that contract play out a bit, and not jump into another situation where they would be paying one fired coach, and the new coach.

No doubt, lots to fix for next year. They need to do what they can to get this investigation wrapped up, fully cooperate, self impose sanctions, whatever it takes. They also need to fill their assistant coaching vacancies with solid hires so that the coaching doesn't suffer again next year like it so obviously did this year, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They need to bring in some solid assistants who know how to coach so that the WR's and QB play up to their potential next year, and throw the OLine in their too with all their false starts.

They are still loaded at RB for next year, we've seen Daniels play waaaaaaaaaay better than he performed this year, and there is still a lot of talent in the WR room but they have to show it next year. So I expect they will score some points next year. Defense is a big question mark next year, they will lose a lot of starters and AP may move on, so we'll see what happens. Both corners--Lucas and Jones will be gone and their backups have looked very very shaky this year. That's going to be an area of concern for sure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This has a Dirk Koetter feel to it. He would continuously kick the crap out of Arizona and keep his job. With some major jobs being open it’s probably smart to play it safe with Herm.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
RIP the rest of the P12. Going to be Pete Carroll esque:
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Give it two seasons and the conference will be Diana Ross and the Supremes. USC is back

TJ

Reaction score
As for Herm - I bet the AD looked at the coaching landscape and was like, “yeah let’s just keep Herm.” Then again, asu shouldn’t scoff at being a perennial 8-9 win team.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As for Herm - I bet the AD looked at the coaching landscape and was like, “yeah let’s just keep Herm.” Then again, asu shouldn’t scoff at being a perennial 8-9 win team.
I agree with both points. ASU is really a 7-9 win team annually and the sooner everyone accepts that the better. ASU likely will not be able to get a high profile established head coach that can have the team in playoff contention

TJ

Reaction score
Ironically, I am not sure this isn’t a step down for Lincoln.
Oklahoma was just going to be another school in the SEC in a few years. Smart to go to a team with the potential to rule an entire P5 conference.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The fact is Herm stinks as a coach. ASU could hire literally just about anybody and get essentially the same results they have gotten with Herm. He has done pretty much the same as Graham, Erickson, and Koetter... all of whom were acknowledged underachievers here. The only difference being they didn't have some old pal as the AD covering for them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose