Suns @ Grizzlies Friday game thread 11-12-2021

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe, thinking a bit more outside the box, some package for JJJ and Clarke with extra pieces?

Again horrible trade. JJJ hasn’t lived up to the hype at all

Your not going to trade him for role players

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We just came within a couple possessions of a title and Ayton was a massive factor in that run. Ayton is still only 23 years old. I am not considering trading him for anything but a mega-star, even if Ayton does decide he hates Sarver. I don't think we can get anywhere near equal value for Ayton until the summer when we can expand his contract slot.

I'd rather not trade him at all. He does the little things a lot of big men in the league hate doing and he excels at them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about not trading Ayton?

Look, I lean more towards that. If Monty will actually USE all of our depth when he comes back and Ayton adds a needed big body, this team can REALLY cook. But we can’t be naive with the situation the team has put itself in re: his contract situation.

Right now, we’re dealing from a position of strength.

All that being said, we all think this team is only JUST starting to play good basketball and we still have the second best record in the league. Ayton coming back strong would be huge and I might need to start paying closer attention again.

8-3 looks pretty good right now considering the injuries, new rotation on the bench and a GARGANTUAN distraction that the team isn’t letting get to it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look, I lean more towards that. If Monty will actually USE all of our depth when he comes back and Ayton adds a needed big body, this team can REALLY cook. But we can’t be naive with the situation the team has put itself in re: his contract situation.

Right now, we’re dealing from a position of strength.

All that being said, we all think this team is only JUST starting to play good basketball and we still have the second best record in the league. Ayton coming back strong would be huge and I might need to start paying closer attention again.

8-3 looks pretty good right now considering the injuries, new rotation on the bench and a GARGANTUAN distraction that the team isn’t letting get to it.

There will be some growing pains but I hope we start giving Frank and Ayton some minutes along side each other, especially against bigger teams. Spacing should not be an issue and I think Frank's play making and scrapping could make Ayton's life a lot easier.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will be some growing pains but I hope we start giving Frank and Ayton some minutes along side each other, especially against bigger teams. Spacing should not be an issue and I think Frank's play making and scrapping could make Ayton's life a lot easier.

Same. They did it right after the 8-8 start last year and it jump started the whole run. It needs some looks. It’s the size we could have used to counter the Bucks at time last year.

If those guys work together for stretches of games it just makes us multidimensional in a way we just can’t be right now.

Last edited:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree about Ayton but if you can get KAT you do it every damn day of the week.

Your talking about KAT being your 3rd star and that’s insane
KAT is a scorer but he’s so damn soft. We’d sacrifice a lot of defense that will be needed in the playoffs.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KAT is a scorer but he’s so damn soft. We’d sacrifice a lot of defense that will be needed in the playoffs.
It's interesting. Because coming into the league, defense was supposed to be KAT's strength and Ayton's weakness. You wonder how much of that is a bout team culture and coaching. Defense anyway.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's interesting. Because coming into the league, defense was supposed to be KAT's strength and Ayton's weakness. You wonder how much of that is a bout team culture and coaching. Defense anyway.
Hmmm….if the coaching staff thinks KAT can have Ayton’s defense then by all means pull the trigger. But KAT might not have mentality for defense like Ayton might never have KAT’s offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm….if the coaching staff thinks KAT can have Ayton’s defense then by all means pull the trigger. But KAT might not have mentality for defense like Ayton might never have KAT’s offense.
Which is more likely--Kat improving his D or DA improving his offense. Right now, my guess would be the former. Put a player on a team that plays defense and holds people accountable for defense and they often improve. Every player on the court can choose to defend-- even if the offense doesn't run through him.

I am not advocating a KAT trade--primarily for the extra we would have to give up to get him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At a minimum for KAT we'd need to trade Ayton, Saric, and Stix just for salary purposes. I'd imagine at least 1 pick but probably 2 as well.

FWIW if we made that trade ESPN predicts we'd improve by 12 wins. That's a pretty crazy swing. I imagine Ayton's shakiness early on plus Stix and Saric's lack of stats is why the swing in wins is so high. KAT has been playing great so far also.
You must be registered for see images attach

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At a minimum for KAT we'd need to trade Ayton, Saric, and Stix just for salary purposes. I'd imagine at least 1 pick but probably 2 as well.

FWIW if we made that trade ESPN predicts we'd improve by 12 wins. That's a pretty crazy swing. I imagine Ayton's shakiness early on plus Stix and Saric's lack of stats is why the swing in wins is so high. KAT has been playing great so far also.
You must be registered for see images attach
I'm pretty sure that the ESPN "Hollinger" stat being used does not factor in defense at all. I might be mistaken but I also think it factors in playing time (via win shares), where Ayton has played in 6 games vs 10 for KAT.

I bet if you ran that same trade during last year's playoffs the Suns would look like idiots.

But you are correct that, just for salary purpose, the Suns would have to dump a lot into getting Towns, and I honestly don't see how it makes us a better team. If Towns is secretly a far better defensive player than he has ever shown, then yeah, this would improve the team, but if Towns is the same defensive doormat who sulks and gives up when things go south, then trading DA for Towns would be a disaster.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
How about not trading Ayton?

If Sarver remains in control (heaven forbid), that ship may have already sailed.

I am far more worried that the Suns will let Ayton walk for nothing, or trade him for literally pennies on the dollar... again, if Sarver is still calling the shots.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Awesome to see suns blow out memphis very impressive

Glad paul still lookin like paul only worried cause his age also looks like mcgee frank did solid

Great streak keep it up phoenix!!

Toke hit to w heh

Alread ookin for revengei n poffs i hope!!

We are the valley!!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Sarver remains in control (heaven forbid), that ship may have already sailed.

I am far more worried that the Suns will let Ayton walk for nothing, or trade him for literally pennies on the dollar... again, if Sarver is still calling the shots.

Hopefully Sarver allows James Jones to run the team.

Jones has done a good job except I'm no longer trusting when it comes to the draft.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the ESPN "Hollinger" stat being used does not factor in defense at all. I might be mistaken but I also think it factors in playing time (via win shares), where Ayton has played in 6 games vs 10 for KAT.

I bet if you ran that same trade during last year's playoffs the Suns would look like idiots.

But you are correct that, just for salary purpose, the Suns would have to dump a lot into getting Towns, and I honestly don't see how it makes us a better team. If Towns is secretly a far better defensive player than he has ever shown, then yeah, this would improve the team, but if Towns is the same defensive doormat who sulks and gives up when things go south, then trading DA for Towns would be a disaster.

The Suns would be counting heavily on the influence of Devin Booker and Chris Paul if they made the trade for Towns. Both want to win badly.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really want to keep Ayton. KAT is an animal he does crazy things at that position that gets his team fired up. Ayton's Defense is ever improving a lot of the things he does goes unnoticed by casuals but are no less important. This team has no problem scoring points, adding KAT would be taking points away from Book and company and would be a HUGE mid season learning curve to deal with.

In the playoffs when the games are close I think we are better off with Ayton.

We need to go ALL IN this year its not going to get any easier.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to keep Ayton. KAT is an animal he does crazy things at that position that gets his team fired up. Ayton's Defense is ever improving a lot of the things he does goes unnoticed by casuals but are no less important. This team has no problem scoring points, adding KAT would be taking points away from Book and company and would be a HUGE mid season learning curve to deal with.

In the playoffs when the games are close I think we are better off with Ayton.

We need to go ALL IN this year its not going to get any easier.

But we had all these trade ideas going. This is going to mess it up. :)

Oh well, we can still do a trade or add a buyout to fill the final roster spot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose