Some Random Thoughts

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm one of the biggest homers there is, but I'm shocked at our team. I don't even mean our record, that's a byproduct of everything else. Here are some (mostly random) things that shock me, feel free to add your own:

1. Kyler's development in every area of quarterbacking. Obviously this has to be #1. Some folks scoff at the "demeanor during games" narrative, but this year is night and day. This year he's striding the sidelines like a leader, pumping up his teammates. Several players have commented offhand this year that he's the "best player on the field". Not best player for our team, best player on the field. I wish my wife would look at me the way Conner looks at Kyler Murray. After his big day yesterday, he was all up in Kyler's grill, getting the love, almost like Kyler told him we need you today, go beast mode, and Kyler's leadership is now such that players having career days--career days!!--are going up to Kyler to hug the dude. That's not normal. Couple weeks ago when Kyler ran like 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage and found Hopkins, Dhop looked to the sideline at Kingsbury as if to say are you kidding me? Coming from a future hall of famer, that isn't normal either. Lastly regarding Kyler, anyone who watched even a few games of football this weekend should recognize that his accuracy is sick. I mean disgustingly good. He doesn't leave receivers out to dry, he rarely lets them take a big hit (Deandre touchdown several weeks ago inside the 10 is an example, he threw it on his outside shoulder so Dhop could simply rotate and catch and scamper in--the following week Hop put that juke on, and Kyler threw it on his inside shoulder so he could make that move), and he has a cannon for an arm. It's not just his long ball which is exceptional, it's the short stuff too: the rotations he puts on the ball make me feel like other QB's are throwing with much less velocity when I see it.

2. The physicality of our team. This is a head coaching thing, because it's our entire team. I truly believed we were a finesse (IE. College) team who ran a finesse scheme. Also believed Watt injected that physicality on defense and gave him all the credit but I was wrong. It's head coaching. They're forcing fumbles, which tells you how physical they are (I still believe that yesterday we tackled in open space really poorly, but it's hard to discuss that when you recover 2 fumbles). On offense...everyone wants to talk about James Conner being physical, and I agree, but on that 20 yard run for a TD, it was Kirk (whom I've been critical of, to say the least) who crashed from outside WR and blocked 2 defenders inside, allowing Conner to score. On Conner's other TD run on the screen pass, it was also Kirk who sprang him with blocking downfield. Those are physical and smart plays by Kirk--it's literally 14 points, especially with a backup QB, when you need stars to step up, and he did--every bit worthy of the praise we'd give Fitz if he did the same thing. This team is physical. They put hands on everyone in all phases.

3. Kingsbury. Those who said he was a bro coach were probably right. The players absolutely love him. Willing to fight for him on the field. He totally outcoached Shanahan. He ran plays even people who love him were like wait, what, where'd that come from. He also completely outcoached Vrabel on their home field. I'm not sure I'd add the Rams in there, but he coached well enough to win. He's built a very physical team and isn't so enamored with Kyler that he won't give it to Conner and allow him to lead the league in TD's. He's built a team where it seems like they don't care who gets the ball and truly enjoy each others success. That's championship football. Kingsbury understands these young players and he's tapped into it. Don't out them publicly by criticizing them (you can do that in meetings), take ALL the blame publicly. Kingsbury is meant for the NFL, not trying to recruit kids--you see him walking into your house and mom and grandma gotta be like no it's okay, I don't want it. But in the NFL all that matters is winning.

The team this year is a transformation and I don't understand it. The increases in all phases is ridiculous.
PS. I didn't mention Keim because I don't like him and that's the only reason. Also, I know nothing about him as a person.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The physicality of this team is mind blowing to me. We impose our will on other teams in ways I’ve never seen us do before. that 2013 D with Dansby and Washington manning the middle of the field, Abraham coming off the edge with Calais/Dockett/Big DT Whos name I can’t remember up front was great, but that was a D based on speed. This one just has bone crushing hits on opposing offenses.

Love it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The physicality of this team is mind blowing to me. We impose our will on other teams in ways I’ve never seen us do before. that 2013 D with Dansby and Washington manning the middle of the field, Abraham coming off the edge with Calais/Dockett/Big DT Whos name I can’t remember up front was great, but that was a D based on speed. This one just has bone crushing hits on opposing offenses.

Love it.
Dump truck Dan Williams? Loved that guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose