If you wanted DL trade options, here are some.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Look out for stud, Grady Jarrett, from the Falcons. The rumors are flying that they could move on for him – partly because he is in a contract year, and partly to get picks to rebuild. The team has, reportedly, not approach him yet about a new contract, which seems strange.

Like Fletcher Cox, Jarrett has not been quite as dominant so far this year, but he is still more than capable of playing at a high level – and there is always the chance that it is just a down year.

It should also be noted, again, that the salary cap does not matter. There is no such thing as not being able to pay for a player. The salary cap is a ghost-phenomenon that GMs often uses as bad excuse for why they haven’t sign this or that player. The numbers, structure and history tell a different story, but somehow, they still get away with it. Anyway, the point is that no one needs to be worried about that aspect.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Look out for stud, Grady Jarrett, from the Falcons. The rumors are flying that they could move on for him – partly because he is in a contract year, and partly to get picks to rebuild. The team has, reportedly, not approach him yet about a new contract, which seems strange.

Like Fletcher Cox, Jarrett has not been quite as dominant so far this year, but he is still more than capable of playing at a high level – and there is always the chance that it is just a down year.

It should also be noted, again, that the salary cap does not matter. There is no such thing as not being able to pay for a player. The salary cap is a ghost-phenomenon that GMs often uses as bad excuse for why they haven’t sign this or that player. The numbers, structure and history tell a different story, but somehow, they still get away with it. Anyway, the point is that no one needs to be worried about that aspect.

Id trade for Jarrett assuming he can be resigned. I think he has a lot left. What would it take to get him...our 3rd probably?

Id also like to contact Geno Atkins if we haven't already. He was such a good player for so long, I can't believe he literally has nothing left to offer. You would think he could get the juices flowing for a playoff run.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Id trade for Jarrett assuming he can be resigned. I think he has a lot left. What would it take to get him...our 3rd probably?

Id also like to contact Geno Atkins if we haven't already. He was such a good player for so long, I can't believe he literally has nothing left to offer. You would think he could get the juices flowing for a playoff run.

But Grady Jarrett has a $20m cap hit this year and $23m next year. He's still owed about $11m this year.

Even after what the Falcons would swallow in dead money it's about $8m this year and $17m next year.

We already have Watt and Philips on big deals and we can't get rid of Philips next year after his restructure to make way for Ertz.

Don't see Jarrett happening. Not entirely sure I would want to for that money. I don't believe he's been playing anywhere near that value.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't see why the Eagles would trade Cox. The way his contract is structured it saves them very little cap space.

You do it because you are building a roster so young that the cap hit doesn't hurt you and you want to maximize your return for a guy likely not in your competitive window.

Reaction score
I must say I don't think we trade for anyone though. Philips needs to step up, they paid him to do what Watt was doing and Peters, Fotu, Allen, Dogbe etc are enough to carry the load.

Nobody can replace what Watt was doing. He was top 3 iDL in the league.
If Philips had been doing what the Cardinals paid him to do the team would probably have never acquired JJ. Watt!
Always ready to take a couple snaps.
You must be registered for see images attach
Dependable as it gets! He's been showing up every week for years. . .
Since the SDS days I believe!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't see why the Eagles would trade Cox. The way his contract is structured it saves them very little cap space.

They have to wait until after June 1st:

Cox’s contract is now essentially untradeable this season. Because of the complexity of the restructure (it was actually more like two restructures — in 2021 and proactively in 2022)…

…However, as is often the case, the Eagles were too smart for their own good. Instead of moving Cox at a time when they could have rid themselves of his contract completely while also saving a little money and likely acquiring a good asset in return in a non-contending season, Cox’s decline could accelerate, he’ll continue to be “a big rock in the salary cap jar” through the 2023 season, and there will no longer be any sort of good asset that the team will acquire in return for him via trade.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Cox deal would have too many obstacles to overcome, the other two guys...meh.

Shelby Harris makes a lot of sense in that article.

Fuller sounds nice, but slotting a new starting CB into a new scheme mid season is not easy. I doubt you get better performance out of Fuller than the guys we already have comfortable in the scheme.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Fuller sounds nice, but slotting a new starting CB into a new scheme mid season is not easy. I doubt you get better performance out of Fuller than the guys we already have comfortable in the scheme.
Harris is a good DL.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree it would be a difficult transition for most... I think we'd see the most bang for our buck getting an interior D and/or O-line. Yes, we should be getting healthier at both positions but our depth is super thin. I'd say even more thin on the O-Line, haven't heard of any Justin Murray updates. Interior O-Line killed the team last year, it will kill it again this year - esp if Hudson has any set-backs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my target would be a run stuffing guy --

they are typically far cheaper in comp, would add a body in the DL rotation that feels like it has been constantly down two players every week

and the team does pretty well on passing downs -- its keeping run heavy teams out of 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2

im going to see if depth charts from teams that are out of it have a Snacks Harrison kinda guy

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple thoughts.

1-CB is tough because you are acquiring a player who is likely the #4 CB after Wilson, Murphy and Alford. You also have to be careful to disrupt the chemistry that our secondary has going.

2-DL. You want a replacement for JJ Watt but few players are replacements for JJ Watt. For those who want a "run stuffer" it is less feasible with Peters and Lawrence at the NT. You can argue for a player a guy to play at DE, but you have Phillips, Fotu and Allen in that rotation currently. A guy like Shelby Harris makes some sense, but you have to give up an asset for that. The cost of that asset matters.

3-EDGE. I just don't see this happening. I like Trey Flowers but we aren't going to give up a ton for a rotational guy. we already have an overpaid rotational guy in Kennard.

4-OG. This is the one I like the most but probably least likely to see happen. I think our ability to win a super bowl is more about Kyler than our defense. Keeping him comfortable and decreasing the hits he takes in the pocket is most important for me. Jones has been given a chance but he just seems to need more time.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Vaitai from the Lions is a name to be aware of. One of the few teams who can afford to trade a starting OL and he plays RG/RT. Reported earlier in the year the Lions wanted out of his contract.

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
my target would be a run stuffing guy --

they are typically far cheaper in comp, would add a body in the DL rotation that feels like it has been constantly down two players every week

and the team does pretty well on passing downs -- its keeping run heavy teams out of 2nd and 3, 3rd and 2

im going to see if depth charts from teams that are out of it have a Snacks Harrison kinda guy
I agree it's well needed, and could get a IDL rotational player for a lot cheaper... Good ole' Snacks Harrison! At the same time, the more I think of Kyler's health and the Rams move to get Miller - how do we not make a move to get a guard? Texans and GB (w out Zadarius Smith) aren't exactly premiere pass rush teams yet applied plenty of pressure.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
two players on the DL that i would inquire about:

Matt Ioannidis, Washington. Very productive player vs both run and pass -- PRE Ron Rivera. Signed through 2022 at a not terrible $6.6mm. Playing only 45% of snaps this year.

Michael Brockers, Det. Better vs run than pass rush, but long and disruptive. Signed for reasonable numbers through 2023. Not sure Dan Campbell is ready to signal the season is over (even if it is).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
two players on the DL that i would inquire about:

Matt Ioannidis, Washington. Very productive player vs both run and pass -- PRE Ron Rivera. Signed through 2022 at a not terrible $6.6mm. Playing only 45% of snaps this year.

Michael Brockers, Det. Better vs run than pass rush, but long and disruptive. Signed for reasonable numbers through 2023. Not sure Dan Campbell is ready to signal the season is over (even if it is).
Ioannidis is a player I've always liked, but if we like him at that rate, I'm sure the Redskins do too.

What's crazy though is that if all of the Cardinals depth comes back, I don't know how much of an upgrade any of those guys are.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ioannidis is a player I've always liked, but if we like him at that rate, I'm sure the Redskins do too.

What's crazy though is that if all of the Cardinals depth comes back, I don't know how much of an upgrade any of those guys are.

I don't think we trade for anyone for what it's worth

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Any guards on bad teams? Scherff? Norwell?
The tough part about RG is that you have to acquire a guy significantly better than Josh Jones not marginally better.

Obviously guys like Scherff and Vaitai are that. The question would be on a guy like Will Hernandez of the Giants who has played for Kugler. Is he a significant enough upgrade over Jones.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
At this rate, I would throw a pick at the Texans for Ross Blacklock. Only getting 26% of snaps and was drafted under a different HC. I liked him pre-draft.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The tough part about RG is that you have to acquire a guy significantly better than Josh Jones not marginally better.

Obviously guys like Scherff and Vaitai are that. The question would be on a guy like Will Hernandez of the Giants who has played for Kugler. Is he a significant enough upgrade over Jones.

We have two marginally better RG's on the roster: Garcia and Murray (IR).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA