Kingsbury Still Top Coach in NFC West

Reaction score
Looking around the division, I can’t help
but think we have the best head coach.

Kyle Shanahan has received way too much credit over the years. If this year says anything, it’s that he’s overrated.

Pete Carroll is ancient. The Seahawks have slowly been on the decline for years. I’m not worried about this team at all.

Sean Mcvay may be the threat, but we lit them up at their own place. At this point, I would rather have Kingsbury over Mcvay.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
He's not top 5 IMO but his stock continues to rise. Especially if he continues to prove that he will adapt his style.

Sean Payton, Bruce Arians, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, & LaFleur all have more rightful claims to be considered amongst the best in the game. Maybe Even Rivera & Zimmers.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not top 5 IMO but his stock continues to rise. Especially if he continues to prove that he will adapt his style.

Sean Payton, Bruce Arians, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, & LaFleur all have more rightful claims to be considered amongst the best in the game. Maybe Even Rivera & Zimmers.
Shanahan definitely doesn’t. Especially over the likes of McDermott, Reid, Harbaugh, etc.

Rivera also doesn’t belong anywhere near a top 5, lol.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

gotta put Tomlin on that list too... Big Ben is Fitzing them at the QB spot so it looks bad but he is a great coach

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
Top 5 . . top 10 . . I'm glad he's our coach. He eats all the various failures from lack of ideal personnel to individual player/coach F'ups.
It's Always " I should have called better plays ". Sometimes it is his play calls but either way, he stands up front and takes the bullet.
I've never heard him elude to Kyler's inexperience or Peterson's flash retreat from contact.
He is growing. Our quarterback is growing.
I feel the same about Vance. He's better than we thought.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ehh. He's just a coach like any of the rest. One week he is capable of managing crap games....and the next managing brilliant ones. The biggest difference has been the all around effort of his players this year. Imo.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Shanahan.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Shanahan definitely doesn’t. Especially over the likes of McDermott, Reid, Harbaugh, etc.

Rivera also doesn’t belong anywhere near a top 5, lol.

gotta put Tomlin on that list too... Big Ben is Fitzing them at the QB spot so it looks bad but he is a great coach
I misread the initial post and only included NFC coaches. If I included AFC, Bill B, McDermott, Tomlin, Reid, Harbaugh, are clearly better with Stefanski & Vrabel right there as well.

I think Shanahan is better at this point in their careers. I like his scheme better and his ability to allow different players in. KK seems to need a specific set of players for his offense and Shanny seems to have a system that can bend to any type of player. And from a resume perspective...... when his injuries are down, his teams go to Super Bowls.

Rivera is tough so I understand that can go either way. Ronnie in Carolina was a much better coach than KK for much longer so I give him an edge.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I misread the initial post and only included NFC coaches. If I included AFC, Bill B, McDermott, Tomlin, Reid, Harbaugh, are clearly better with Stefanski & Vrabel right there as well.

I think Shanahan is better at this point in their careers. I like his scheme better and his ability to allow different players in. KK seems to need a specific set of players for his offense and Shanny seems to have a system that can bend to any type of player. And from a resume perspective...... when his injuries are down, his teams go to Super Bowls.

Rivera is tough so I understand that can go either way. Ronnie in Carolina was a much better coach than KK for much longer so I give him an edge.
I agree with this if we’re just only talking RBs. He can throw anybody in there(starting to become a little bit questionable with Trey Sermon being massively underwhelming) However, it’s clearly obvious that he needs a specific type of WRs & OL to make his offense fully work.

This board has to stop doing this thing with Shanny where we just excuse his lack of success outside of 1 year due to injuries, the guys who were already injury prone before he signed/drafted them.

His teams go to Super Bowls to lose them.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I agree with this if we’re just only talking RBs. He can throw anybody in there(starting to become a little bit questionable with Trey Sermon being massively underwhelming) However, it’s clearly obvious that he needs a specific type of WRs & OL to make his offense fully work.

This board has to stop doing this thing with Shanny where we just excuse his lack of success outside of 1 year due to injuries, the guys who were already injury prone before he signed/drafted them.

His teams go to Super Bowls to lose them.
I think Deebo & Julio are different looking guys who are both excelling. Aiyuk last year?
So are Kittle and the TE group from the ATL days.

RB's are just his bread and butter. All positions look better under him. Even Jimmy G looks better.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Deebo & Julio are different looking guys who are both excelling. Aiyuk last year?
So are Kittle and the TE group from the ATL days.

RB's are just his bread and butter. All positions look better under him. Even Jimmy G looks better.
Really just Deebo & Kittle. Julio has succeeded under multiple OCs. Aiyuk has been a ghost *this* year. Present time. Do you even remember the TE group from his ATL days without researching? Jimmy has regressed. Mightily. The OL has regressed. Mightily.

Shanny, like every other offensive mind, needs a specific set of players to maximizes his offense’s potential. He’s no different.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Really just Deebo & Kittle. Julio has succeeded under multiple OCs. Aiyuk has been a ghost *this* year. Present time. Do you even remember the TE group from his ATL days without researching? Jimmy has regressed. Mightily. The OL has regressed. Mightily.

Shanny, like every other offensive mind, needs a specific set of players to maximizes his offense’s potential. He’s no different.
The TE group in ATL? Heck no. It was garbage I bet. But that just speaks to my belief he makes all positions better. Kittle had the best yardage season ever as a TE under Shanny. That just goes to show he can scheme up any position and make it great depending on the talent he has.

Aiyuk being a ghost this year only underscores how he can make a player look (last year). And his backup QB's set NFL records too when Jimmy G got hurt. Nick Mullins if I remember correctly.

This dude makes turds look like competent players and stars look like all-world talents.

Matt Ryan won an MVP under him.
Julio (who was amazing) became dominant under him.
Kittle became TE1 under him.
Deebo looks like a legit WR 1 this year.
Aiyuk looked like a legit WR1 last year.
Nick Mullens went off under him.
CJ Beathard beat us once I think.
And you and I both agree that his RB's and running schemes are top self. Easily top 5 IMO maybe even top 3. And his runners continue to be no-names and re-treads just like his pops.

And his resume...... Has two super bowls on it. The guy is above KK is all I'm saying. And probably top 10 in the NFL. It's not something you should even be debating.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TE group in ATL? Heck no. It was garbage I bet. But that just speaks to my belief he makes all positions better. Kittle had the best yardage season ever as a TE under Shanny. That just goes to show he can scheme up any position and make it great depending on the talent he has.

Aiyuk being a ghost this year only underscores how he can make a player look (last year). And his backup QB's set NFL records too when Jimmy G got hurt. Nick Mullins if I remember correctly.

This dude makes turds look like competent players and stars look like all-world talents.

Matt Ryan won an MVP under him.
Julio (who was amazing) became dominant under him.
Kittle became TE1 under him.
Deebo looks like a legit WR 1 this year.
Aiyuk looked like a legit WR1 last year.
Nick Mullens went off under him.
CJ Beathard beat us once I think.
And you and I both agree that his RB's and running schemes are top self. Easily top 5 IMO maybe even top 3. And his runners continue to be no-names and re-treads just like his pops.

And his resume...... Has two super bowls on it. The guy is above KK is all I'm saying. And probably top 10 in the NFL. It's not something you should even be debating.
My lord the Shanahan suck fest around here is nauseating. Top 10 HC in the NFL? No flipping way. You are what your record says you are PERIOD.

Now if you want to call him a top OC I might be willing to play ball. But as a head coach so far he is in full on failure mode with his record and 9er overall performance. One SB appearance as a HC doesn’t excuse the rest of his seasons of ineptitude. Im sure your response is “injuries man” lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My lord the Shanahan suck fest around here is nauseating. Top 10 HC in the NFL? No flipping way. You are what your record says you are PERIOD.

Now if you want to call him a top OC I might be willing to play ball. But as a head coach so far he is in full on failure mode with his record and 9er overall performance. One SB appearance as a HC doesn’t excuse the rest of his seasons of ineptitude. Im sure your response is “injuries man” lol
Look.... I hate the Niners but I'm not going to argue with someone who is obviously unwilling to look at the body of work. Be it your blind homerism, your hatred of a division rival, or just being obtuse to overwhelming data. Of course I'm going to say injuries. If a coach can win with Nick Mullins and CJ Beathard even after those injuries, then he's a great coach. If his rushing attack continues to dominate year after year, decade after decade, he's great. If his passing attack works with WR's, TE's, RB's etc...... He's great.

I'm sure you would use the same reasoning so don't act like it doesn't matter in this regard.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look.... I hate the Niners but I'm not going to argue with someone who is obviously unwilling to look at the body of work. Be it your blind homerism, your hatred of a division rival, or just being obtuse to overwhelming data. Of course I'm going to say injuries. If a coach can win with Nick Mullins and CJ Beathard even after those injuries, then he's a great coach. If his rushing attack continues to dominate year after year, decade after decade, he's great. If his passing attack works with WR's, TE's, RB's etc...... He's great.

I'm sure you would use the same reasoning so don't act like it doesn't matter in this regard.
I don’t think it has anything to do with “blind homerism” or “divisional rival hate” lol hell everyone here with sense knows HC like McVay is a top 3 HC in the league, top 5 at worst.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Three of the four coaches in the division have been to a super bowl. Three of the four coaches have been to the playoffs.

What’s that song? “One of these things is not like the others?”

Let’s not be prisoners of the moment. Kliff is still the worst coach in the division. He has a chance to change that this season, but he has to prove he can finish out a season first.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tell me what is that coach of the packers record? How many injuries has that guy had to deal with with so far this year? He is easily on par with the 9ers injury wise if not worse… Still keeps winning… I know I know Aaron Rogers right?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Look at everything before and after the one SB season. Tell me that’s a successful HEAD coach to be lauded?

Attachments

• 037B2E2E-719F-4003-ABC5-58D960761912.png
    037B2E2E-719F-4003-ABC5-58D960761912.png
    675.6 KB · Views: 2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson