Bringing Son From Nashville for First Sun Devils Game - Tips? Advice?

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm glad to find your forum. I posted in the Utah game thread but @Absolute Zero mentioned I might start a thread. And thanks for your info A/Z!

Coming in Friday, Oct 29 for the ASU/Washington State game. On my annual work trip to Scottsdale in March 2020 I picked up my kids some ASU shirts from your campus bookstore and my son has bugged me to come to a game there. The ASU sun devil has replaced the Wake Forest Demon Deacon as his favorite mascot outside of my alma mater.

The stadium looks very interesting and unique from the air so we're making a short father/son trip. He's 8. We're staying at the Westin Tempe and it looks like we'll have a short commute to the game. I'm seeking advice, suggestions, tips for things to do around the campus/stadium to get the full experience. I know nothing about the traditions and all there, I hate to admit that, but we want to experience as much as we can as this could be a one time event for us. We won't be able to set up a tailgate, but if there's anything like that open to others for a fee, we'd be all in. Any cool food spots around there that are must tries? And we haven't purchased our game tickets yet, so any recommendations on seating areas? I'm hoping it's a night game, but that's out of our hands. We're hoping for a great experience so I thought I'd try to reach out for info and this was the only non-subscription message board I could find. I appreciate any info!!

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They haven't posted the kickoff time yet but it is Homecoming weekend,here is some info on that.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
They haven't posted the kickoff time yet but it is Homecoming weekend,here is some info on that.
Great info! Thank you very much. Looks like we lucked out on that weekend being Homecoming. The lantern walk looks pretty cool, we'll try and find a spot to watch that and the lighting of the A. Just watched a YouTube of that and the devil lighting the A with his pitchfork. Awesome stuff!!

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great info! Thank you very much. Looks like we lucked out on that weekend being Homecoming. The lantern walk looks pretty cool, we'll try and find a spot to watch that and the lighting of the A. Just watched a YouTube of that and the devil lighting the A with his pitchfork. Awesome stuff!!

Hope you guys have a great time, be sure to let us know how it went afterwards!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm glad to find your forum. I posted in the Utah game thread but @Absolute Zero mentioned I might start a thread. And thanks for your info A/Z!

Coming in Friday, Oct 29 for the ASU/Washington State game. On my annual work trip to Scottsdale in March 2020 I picked up my kids some ASU shirts from your campus bookstore and my son has bugged me to come to a game there. The ASU sun devil has replaced the Wake Forest Demon Deacon as his favorite mascot outside of my alma mater.

The stadium looks very interesting and unique from the air so we're making a short father/son trip. He's 8. We're staying at the Westin Tempe and it looks like we'll have a short commute to the game. I'm seeking advice, suggestions, tips for things to do around the campus/stadium to get the full experience. I know nothing about the traditions and all there, I hate to admit that, but we want to experience as much as we can as this could be a one time event for us. We won't be able to set up a tailgate, but if there's anything like that open to others for a fee, we'd be all in. Any cool food spots around there that are must tries? And we haven't purchased our game tickets yet, so any recommendations on seating areas? I'm hoping it's a night game, but that's out of our hands. We're hoping for a great experience so I thought I'd try to reach out for info and this was the only non-subscription message board I could find. I appreciate any info!!
My brother hosts a great tailgate and an invite is always extended to civilized people. If interested, shoot me a private message and I can get you the details.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I was a brief Nashville Resident (2001-06).

If you are able to, the hike up "A" Mountain (Hayden Butte) is awesome - steep but great views - the trailhead is just north of your hotel. You can actually stand by the "A" up there.

Pedal Haus Brewery is good, Cartel Coffee, Casey Moore's Oyster House

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Welcome! I was a brief Nashville Resident (2001-06).

If you are able to, the hike up "A" Mountain (Hayden Butte) is awesome - steep but great views - the trailhead is just north of your hotel. You can actually stand by the "A" up there.

Pedal Haus Brewery is good, Cartel Coffee, Casey Moore's Oyster House

Awesome! I'll check out that hike and see if it's something the little guy can handle. He's small and light for his age but has a big motor. The more I've read and seen regarding the candle hike and lighting of the A, the more I want to make that work. We land at 2:30pm Friday so hopefully we can make it to those events and well as the parade Saturday morning. I'm glad I found this forum, it should shape up to be a good weekend. I just hold my breath since it's dependent on American Airlines...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I'll check out that hike and see if it's something the little guy can handle. He's small and light for his age but has a big motor. The more I've read and seen regarding the candle hike and lighting of the A, the more I want to make that work. We land at 2:30pm Friday so hopefully we can make it to those events and well as the parade Saturday morning. I'm glad I found this forum, it should shape up to be a good weekend. I just hold my breath since it's dependent on American Airlines...
Better than if it was Southwest Airlines... ;)

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
The Chuckbox is a longtime local favorite:

If it's cash only, then you know it's good! Looks like it's less than 2 blocks from the hotel, so we'll give it shot. Thanks!

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks Cat! We'll look to take the light rail, I didn't realize you guys had light rail out there. That will be perfect. I was planning on Ubering to the hotel but the train will be better and the boy will love it.

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Hi guys, one more question about your stadium. I found 2 pairs of tickets I'm considering and wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions. 2 seats in section 208 which is the first of those 200 level sections on the visitors side and some in row 20 of section 29 at mid-field of the visitors side. The section 29 will be self explanatory, but is there any additional benefits of being in the 200 level sections? Prices are about the same so I thought I'd check before pulling the trigger.
Thanks again!

CatBoxBackFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hi guys, one more question about your stadium. I found 2 pairs of tickets I'm considering and wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions. 2 seats in section 208 which is the first of those 200 level sections on the visitors side and some in row 20 of section 29 at mid-field of the visitors side. The section 29 will be self explanatory, but is there any additional benefits of being in the 200 level sections? Prices are about the same so I thought I'd check before pulling the trigger.
Thanks again!
The only downside is that kickoff is at noon so no shade for maybe 3/4th of the game,great view of the scoreboard and when the team comes out of the Tillman Tunnel, I'm in Sec 17 in the Nez under the scoreboard.