Rostered Players w/ Potential to be Traded

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The issue with Moreau would probably be compensation. The Raiders would probably want at least a 3rd rounder for a cost controlled asset. Then again, Moreau might actually be worth it.

I was going to say they ain't going to get a 3rd for a TE with 31 receptions in 2.3 years (although he does have 8 TD's on those 31). But considering we are likely to be picking late then a late 3rd would be about right. He's in that late 3rd to mid 4th range.

In his 3rd year though. Only 1 full year of cost control left after this one. But he'd be a great add. Reminds me of Maxx actually.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Some of convo has to be realistic. Maxx was valuable due to his ability to both block at an adequate level as well as be a factor in the passing game. Few TEs can do that and the moment you get one who skews even further as a blocker the less of a threat is for the defense to account for. The worse thing the Cardinals could do right now is give up a future asset to get the equivalent of a 6th OL. If that is the case just sign a street FA. I would prefer to get a Dan Arnold than a Lee Smith because at least Dan forces the defense to account for him in some way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of convo has to be realistic. Maxx was valuable due to his ability to both block at an adequate level as well as be a factor in the passing game. Few TEs can do that and the moment you get one who skews even further as a blocker the less of a threat is for the defense to account for. The worse thing the Cardinals could do right now is give up a future asset to get the equivalent of a 6th OL. If that is the case just sign a street FA. I would prefer to get a Dan Arnold than a Lee Smith because at least Dan forces the defense to account for him in some way.

I'm the opposite. Maxx is averaging 3-4 targets a game. He's playing 50 snaps. That's 46/47 snaps a game he's blocking in some form.

Teams already aren't factoring in for Maxx in coverage, that's why he's getting some pretty open catches on very few targets. The blocking is far more important, we have a tonne of receiving options already.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. Maxx is averaging 3-4 targets a game. He's playing 50 snaps. That's 46/47 snaps a game he's blocking in some form.

Teams already aren't factoring in for Maxx in coverage, that's why he's getting some pretty open catches on very few targets. The blocking is far more important, we have a tonne of receiving options already.
I am going to challenge this and let you know how you can use that PFF subscription a bit better.

On PFF's fantasy side you can get access to a fun stat that is pretty informative on usage. That stat is routes run and it is paired with the players snaps in that game. Combining those two can tell you how the team is using that player. I don't know why the week 1 data isn't there but from weeks 2 to 5 Maxx Williams played 165 snaps and ran a route on 76 of those so at a 46% clip. So nearly half of Maxx's snaps had him running a pass route which reinforces my assertion that his value was as much about him ability to both vs doing only one at a high level.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am going to challenge this and let you know how you can use that PFF subscription a bit better.

On PFF's fantasy side you can get access to a fun stat that is pretty informative on usage. That stat is routes run and it is paired with the players snaps in that game. Combining those two can tell you how the team is using that player. I don't know why the week 1 data isn't there but from weeks 2 to 5 Maxx Williams played 165 snaps and ran a route on 76 of those so at a 46% clip. So nearly half of Maxx's snaps had him running a pass route which reinforces my assertion that his value was as much about him ability to both vs doing only one at a high level.

Fair enough, so he ran routes. He's still only being targeted 3-4 times a game and blocking 30 times. The blocking is still the most important aspect we need to replace, considering the receiving options we have already.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Fair enough, so he ran routes. He's still only being targeted 3-4 times a game and blocking 30 times. The blocking is still the most important aspect we need to replace, considering the receiving options we have already.
C'mon man, you painted him as a pure blocker and discounted his receiving. He's running routes about half the time, so it's wrong to paint him only as a blocking TE. I can guarantee you the last couple teams have been talking about his receiving contributions.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

While agree with the blocking your numbers aren’t accurate. I’m sure maxx runs routes on more snaps than just targets. So he isn’t blocking 46/47 snaps a game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
C'mon man, you painted him as a pure blocker and discounted his receiving. He's running routes about half the time, so it's wrong to paint him only as a blocking TE. I can guarantee you the last couple teams have been talking about his receiving contributions.

No. He's obviously not a pure blocker. I simply said his blocking his far more important to this offense than his receiving.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No. He's obviously not a pure blocker. I simply said his blocking his far more important to this offense than his receiving.
54% of the snaps he plays you would be accurate.

Maxx also has only 68 yards less than AJ Green with 16% less snaps played, 9 less targets and the same number of receptions.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maxx Williams - 16 receptions - more of a blocker.
AJ Green - 16 receptions - starting WR

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
54% of the snaps he plays you would be accurate.

Maxx also has only 68 yards less than AJ Green with 16% less snaps played, 9 less targets and the same number of receptions.

Sure, and before the last 4 games? His primary purpose on this offense has always been his blocking. His recent receiving is a bonus.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure, and before the last 4 games? His primary purpose on this offense has always been his blocking. His recent receiving is a bonus.
I am just going to go off of this year as each year in football is unique.

Maxx has 16 receptions. The same as AJ Green with less overall snaps. You can't say his primary purpose is his blocking when he has caught the same number of balls as our #2 (starting not production) WR. That is just an incorrect assertion.

So, once again, Maxx Williams value to this team was his ability to both block and be a receiving threat. Both his usage in terms of routes run per snap and his production as a receiver reflect that. This value enabled our team to be more versatile with him on the field.

I will also refer to Bill Belichick's statement regarding his scouting and belief regarding TEs. It is tougher for a defense to account for a TE who can be a threat in the receiving game than it is in the running game and so TEs who can be a pass catching threat and are willing to block should be prioritized.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am just going to go off of this year as each year in football is unique.

Maxx has 16 receptions. The same as AJ Green with less overall snaps. You can't say his primary purpose is his blocking when he has caught the same number of balls as our #2 (starting not production) WR. That is just an incorrect assertion.

So, once again, Maxx Williams value to this team was his ability to both block and be a receiving threat. Both his usage in terms of routes run per snap and his production as a receiver reflect that. This value enabled our team to be more versatile with him on the field.

I will also refer to Bill Belichick's statement regarding his scouting and belief regarding TEs. It is tougher for a defense to account for a TE who can be a threat in the receiving game than it is in the running game and so TEs who can be a pass catching threat and are willing to block should be prioritized.

This is why I'm not interested in Dan Arnold. We need a TE who can do this more than one that can catch 3 balls a game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is why I'm not interested in Dan Arnold. We need a TE who can do this more than one that can catch 3 balls a game.

Arnold is not the ideal fit, but he at least forces the defense to account for him in a legitimate way than some borderline 6th OL TE. The reason we wouldn't trade for Arnold is because we have Demetrius Harris since they are similar style players. I won't be shocked to see Harris get the majority of the TE snaps because of what he forces defenses to account for.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Vernon Butler seems to be being phased out in Buffalo, inactive the last 2 weeks. Base salary this year is $3 million, so about $2.1 for the rest of the year, FA after this season. Big body in the middle, maybe a change of scenery and a chance to play in a contract year gets him going?? Run D needs something

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Vernon Butler seems to be being phased out in Buffalo, inactive the last 2 weeks. Base salary this year is $3 million, so about $2.1 for the rest of the year, FA after this season. Big body in the middle, maybe a change of scenery and a chance to play in a contract year gets him going?? Run D needs something
I feel like we tried this with Jordan Phillips and it hasn't worked out well. I am not sure we will go back to the well and try Vernon Butler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arnold is not the ideal fit, but he at least forces the defense to account for him in a legitimate way than some borderline 6th OL TE. The reason we wouldn't trade for Arnold is because we have Demetrius Harris since they are similar style players. I won't be shocked to see Harris get the majority of the TE snaps because of what he forces defenses to account for.

I agree, I'm not advocating for some borderline 6th OL. Just someone who is a legit blocker who can also receive when required.

But if I had to choose between someone like Dan Arnold who is mostly receiver vs Lee Smith who is mostly blocker I'd go Smith. But thats just me.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Athletic had an article today in which Mike Sando speculates (with input from anonymous NFL execs) on trade deadline buyers and sellers. Here's what he had to say about the Cardinals:
Kyle Fuller for the Cardinals: Arizona is 6-0 and doesn’t need to do anything after acquiring tight end Zach Ertz, but if general manager Steve Keim were sitting at a blackjack table, he’d have to feel great about doubling down, right? Why not send a later-round pick to Denver for veteran corner Kyle Fuller?

“Arizona likes Marco Wilson, they like Byron Murphy, but it is just that opposite corner spot where they could upgrade over (Robert) Alford,” an exec said. “Fuller would be someone to keep in mind. The Broncos are loaded at corner, so they can stomach taking something less for Fuller than, say, the Dolphins with Xavien Howard.”
Other players discussed as potential targets of other teams include:
- Jets safety Marcus Maye for the Chiefs
- Jimmy Garoppolo to Cleveland
- Von Miller
- Xavien Howard to Green Bay or Baltimore
- Odell Beckham
- Brandin Cooks
- Patrick Peterson or Joe Hadento Baltimore
- Bills backup OL Cody Ford to LA Chargers

...dave

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Athletic had an article today in which Mike Sando speculates (with input from anonymous NFL execs) on trade deadline buyers and sellers. Here's what he had to say about the Cardinals:

Other players discussed as potential targets of other teams include:
- Jets safety Marcus Maye for the Chiefs
- Jimmy Garoppolo to Cleveland
- Von Miller
- Xavien Howard to Green Bay or Baltimore
- Odell Beckham
- Brandin Cooks
- Patrick Peterson or Joe Hadento Baltimore
- Chargers backup OL Cody Ford to San Diego

...dave

My head hurts trying to work this one out. ;)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you? Does he still have anything to offer on a vert min deal for the rest of the year?

Former career Texans have been pretty good for us...

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kyle Fuller or Cody Ford would be good fits for late round picks. Cody Ford had a relationship with Kyler if I recall, and could be a decent depth/potential replacement for Beachum at some point.

Fuller would give us an experienced Vet with game reps, which is something we overall lack in the CB room.