The Ayton Plan

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
At one point we had the third most franchise wins in NBA history total from consistently winning under Colangelo.
I think the Suns winning percentage has slipped to like 8th now.

Blame baseball for Colangelo divesting himself of the Suns. Just another reason for me to hate that sport.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At one point we had the third most franchise wins in NBA history total from consistently winning under Colangelo.
I believe it was winning percentage, not most wins. And Sarver's ego wiped that out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On a personal level, the guy became a father for the first time, so emotionally he wants security.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Signing Ayton DOES have some risk, but the pay off is a CHAMPIONSHIP. And if you don't believe that, TRADE HIM NOW.

I guess maybe I'd feel like some of you do if I really thought signing Ayton right now actually meant championship this season or next.

I thought we'd have a shot at winning it this season and probably next by signing DA early and I'm not at all sure that changes by signing him later. Not signing him worries me more a few years down the road, just like signing him worries me more a few years down the road.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is the case any longer but we still are one of the most winning franchises in any sport without a title. They have the highest percentage of playoff appearances of any title-less franchise with 29 appearances in 42 seasons (69%). No team has participated in more playoff games, 274, without winning a championship.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Even with the Suns finally clawing back into relevance AND even if Ayton ultimate does resign a longer term contract here, Sarver is still one of the ultimate horse's behinds when it comes to sports franchise ownership/stewardship. The guy is an absolute arrogant clown who ultimately cannot get out of his own way.

Assuming Ayton eventually just decides he wants to remain in Phoenix because he will get more money in RFA (and maybe because it's "home"), how much motivation is he going to have long term to improve here if he feels like Sarver was trying to strong arm him in contract negotiations? Even if he decides to stays here just purely for financial reasons, this approach by Sarver is anything but likely going to foster the kind of goodwill that gets Ayton to go above and beyond to max out his own potential.

Sarver shouldn't own a pro sports team at all. And it's really a shame that it has to be the Suns, which had a fairly proud heritage before he sullied it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns winning percentage has slipped to like 8th now.

Blame baseball for Colangelo divesting himself of the Suns. Just another reason for me to hate that sport.

at least he won us a damn title! and the greatest World Series of all time, in which I went to EVERY home game (but only remember 3 of after blacking out in the 3rd inning of Game 6. Less said about that whole thing the better!).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading that, I see where Sarver is saving money by just matching a restricted offer. I also see where you lose control of a player sooner. Taking a risk. I keep thinking of how Valley sports analysts keep saying, why would you mess with that locker room good will?
THIS. As you're going into a two or three year TITLE RUN.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am wondering if part of this is the Center position in general. Big money seems to go to PGs, SGs, SFs, with PFs and Centers being necessary evils in the modern NBA. It seems easier to pay the Doncics, Bookers, Trae Youngs, etc.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 years // $127m is the max restricted offer he can get according to Kellan.

"And in another layer, the salary cap rose a pretty penny in the middle of that five-year window, making Hayward’s max contract a steal in hindsight. That spike is similar to what is expected to come for the NBA in the mid-2020s as well"

this is another reason I'm pissed about this. The cap is looking to go up SIGNIFICANTLY in a couple years with another big TV deal and Covid behind sports enough that it doesn't hurt the bottom line like the last two years, which means a MAX deal signed NOW, that doesn't even kick in till NEXT season will be much cheaper than another year from now.

this whole thing is so stupid. it's Sarver just pissing in Suns fans' cereal right before we're about to take a big bite. if you don't think this is a question Ayton, already not the most mature guy in the world, is going to get asked and made to think about all the time, you're living in Pollyanaland.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The only thing I exception with is his claim Windhorst stated the Suns wouldn't pay 3 or 4 year max, which the tweet above disproves. So that's a bit off.

I understood the trepidation of a 5 year max with escalators or early opt outs but refusing to agree to a 3 or 4 year max doesn't make sense for the Suns and if Ayton would have taken the regular max for 5 years without opt outs, which this article seems to imply without directly saying it, then do it.

I guess the middle ground might have been the 4 year max with a team option for year 5. I doubt that was offered because I can't see Ayton balking at that if he wanted the full 5 and the Suns wanted 3.

F'ing Sarver

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, that Kellan Olson article says all there is to be said.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"And in another layer, the salary cap rose a pretty penny in the middle of that five-year window, making Hayward’s max contract a steal in hindsight. That spike is similar to what is expected to come for the NBA in the mid-2020s as well"

this is another reason I'm pissed about this. The cap is looking to go up SIGNIFICANTLY in a couple years with another big TV deal and Covid behind sports enough that it doesn't hurt the bottom line like the last two years, which means a MAX deal signed NOW, that doesn't even kick in till NEXT season will be much cheaper than another year from now.

this whole thing is so stupid. it's Sarver just pissing in Suns fans' cereal right before we're about to take a big bite. if you don't think this is a question Ayton, already not the most mature guy in the world, is going to get asked and made to think about all the time, you're living in Pollyanaland.
Cost certainty when you lock up a guy now. I think Kellen Olsen was saying the Suns wanted a shorter contract and Ayton wanted a longer one. Seems the opposite of how I would want it if I was Sarver. For all the reason you stated above. What do I know?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man, that Kellan Olson article says all there is to be said.
"From a distance, it looks like this decision-making comes down to saving money on that luxury tax bill. That’s it. "

"We can sit here and debate if a guy was more worth $7 million a year as opposed to $11 million, but as we’ve seen with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Michael Porter Jr., you cannot nickel and dime with premium young talent. Doesn’t happen."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"From a distance, it looks like this decision-making comes down to saving money on that luxury tax bill. That’s it. "

"We can sit here and debate if a guy was more worth $7 million a year as opposed to $11 million, but as we’ve seen with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Jaren Jackson Jr. and Michael Porter Jr., you cannot nickel and dime with premium young talent. Doesn’t happen."

Jaren Jackson Jr. signed an extension for 4 years/ $105 million. It's hard to believe the Suns wouldn't offer Ayton that.

If they didn't and paid Bridges 4 years/ $90 million there must be more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaren Jackson Jr. signed an extension for 4 years/ $105 million. It's hard to believe the Suns wouldn't offer Ayton that.

If they didn't and paid Bridges 4 years/ $90 million there must be more.

if the Suns did offer that, Ayton should have spit in their proverbial faces. sorry... that just ain't realistic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose