What I learned. What did you learn?

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There is that. He might be getting spoiled by good pockets. There was one play he had a nice inside lane to step up into and instead pulled a Kevin Kolb and got sacked.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is that. He might be getting spoiled by good pockets. There was one play he had a nice inside lane to step up into and instead pulled a Kevin Kolb and got sacked.

At the very least he needs to remember that curling outside the rusher isn't the only way to escape the pocket. He can step up and run inside the guy too.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep this in mind. The NFL isn’t a fairytale where you convert on 3rd down every time , coast to. Victory by the middle of the 3rd quarter and never make a mistake.

Cling to this….5-0 BABY!

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m concerned about the injuries and the remaining schedule. Looks like the tight end is finished for the year. Two cornerbacks out, center hurt, linemen dinged up along with a running back. Even though Cards are 5-0, the remaining schedule is daunting. Games remain with Seahawks (2), Green Bay, Cleveland, Dallas, 49ers, Rams, Chicago, Carolina. Each of these teams are capable of winning, so I’m uneasy about outcomes. But one thing I’m pleased about is that whoever has been asked to step up to fill a key role, he has done it. Another thing: at 5-0, even if the Cards finish the remaining games 6-6, they’ll end the year 11-6. That likely would be good enough for playoffs. I’m not hoping for an 11-6 record because fans and the media likely would talk about the “collapse” of the season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I learned our injuries are building up at an alarming and unsustainable rate. Also, that we can win when we absolutely suck.

I think Murphy and Wilson will be back. I don;t think Hudson looked too bad. As long as nothing cracked he should be ok.

I'm praying Maxx isn't season ending considering our TE depth.

I think we will be fairly full strength next week besides Maxx.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Murphy and Wilson will be back. I don;t think Hudson looked too bad. As long as nothing cracked he should be ok.

Where are we going to find a TE?

Chopper made a list in another thread, but actually getting someone who can give the production that Maxx was will be hard to find

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where are we going to find a TE?

Chopper made a list in another thread, but actually getting someone who can give the production that Maxx was will be hard to find

Gesicki is a receiving tight end. He blocking on both sides is below average. If you replace Maxx you really need an elite blocker first and what you get in receiving is a bonus. Preferably someone who's already in a zone scheme.

I'm just hoping it's a sprain and he's back later in the year.

Not wanting to invoke PFF but in this case they are right. Maxx is their 4th best TE this year so far with 70+ grades in all area. Only guys above him are Kelce, Schultz and Andrews. He's going to be a big loss.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Doubt that your prayers will be answered re: Maxx.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we somehow make the Super Bowl better hope it isnt against Lamar (even Josh Allen)

Despite the great play its a TD if Lance keeps it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gesicki is a receiving tight end. He blocking on both sides is below average. If you replace Maxx you really need an elite blocker first and what you get in receiving is a bonus. Preferably someone who's already in a zone scheme.

I'm just hoping it's a sprain and he's back later in the year.
Easier did than done

Where are we going to find someone who can block and catch at this point in the season?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we somehow make the Super Bowl better hope it isnt against Lamar (even Josh Allen)

Despite the great play its a TD if Lance keeps it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nah there's a safety back somewhere. Only 10 cards in the shot.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Easier did than done

Where are we going to find someone who can block and catch at this point in the season?

Oh, there isn't one. TE quality is generally crap league wide. Someone like Lee Smith would fit for the blocking side of things. He's currently TE3 at the Falcons but they only have 3 TE's and Smith is a TE guy so don't see them letting him go.

Trey Burton and Tyler Eifert are still FA and the best available TE's. Richard Rodgers had a good year for Philly last year and is still FA. He had 350 yards in limited snaps and a PFF grade of 88.6. Not sure why he doesn't have a team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Easier did than done

It's not that hard really. You call up the bad teams that are already out of playoff contention and overpay. They want draft capital to rebuild with.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It wasn't pretty but it was good to see we could win games when it's not pretty. This was old fashioned football. A lot of ground work, very physical (hence the injuries) and we still pulled it off.

However....Trey Lance might be the worst top 10 pick QB I've ever seen as a rookie. Worse than Trubisky. Worse than Bortles. Many times worse than Josh Rosen. I thought Zach Wilson was bad but man.

His mechanics are crap. His release is slow AF. It's actually embarrassing that he's the #2. They would have been better starting Sudfield. It's a good job he can run. They best hope Jimmy is back soon because they ain't winning a game with Lance at QB

Why they moved up and gave away so many picks for a guy they could have got standing pat is a mystery.
I agree. Some people are fawning over him, but I saw a guy that other teams who are better at stopping the run will embarrass.

He looked so much like Kaepernick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Oh, there isn't one. TE quality is generally crap league wide. Someone like Lee Smith would fit for the blocking side of things. He's currently TE3 at the Falcons but they only have 3 TE's and Smith is a TE guy so don't see them letting him go.

Trey Burton and Tyler Eifert are still FA and the best available TE's. Richard Rodgers had a good year for Philly last year and is still FA. He had 350 yards in limited snaps and a PFF grade of 88.6. Not sure why he doesn't have a team.
I'd go for Richard Rogers. He is a capable NFL TE.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Kyle Rudolph does what you are speaking about the best. Personal opinion is that you are underestimating Gesicki's blocking. He is an effort blocker but Miami asks him to block in a different way than we ask Maxx to block. Gesicki is more than capable and willing to get on the edge and bury a defensive back or get in the way of a pursuit LB. He struggles when the Dolphins ask him to sit and single block EDGE players which they do a lot.

Is he as good of a blocker as Maxx, no. Is he as willing of a blocker, yes. Is he a better pass option that teams would need to account for, yes and significantly so.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Easier did than done

criteria: TEs who are capable blockers but can be counted on to catch a 9 yard hitch, etc that are on teams that are out of it

Chopper is all over Giesecki, so i will leave him out

in order of my preference:

Kyle Rudolph, NYG. inexpensive contract, is playing, good contract and signed in 2022 as well.
Pharoh Brown, HOU. underrated guy, but a starter there and not sure they trade him, maybe expensive in comp
Hayden Hurst, ATL. not sure if ATL thinks they are out of it, and Hurst's grades are all kinda meh
Adam Shaheen, MIA. good run blocker, x-tra large target
Darren Fells, DET another good blocker, pretty good receiver

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is why we get beat next week.

Browns front 4 are at least as good, if not better. Plus they have the DB's to back them up.

They have a good O line and we can;t stop the run. Chubb might run for 200 next week.

Pretty sure Brown's will be our first loss, but that's fine. If anyone said 5-1 with Texans, Packers, Niners, Panthers and Seahawks to come I'd take it. I fancy us to be at least 8-3 after that run.
For sure our stiffest test next week.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At the very least he needs to remember that curling outside the rusher isn't the only way to escape the pocket. He can step up and run inside the guy too.
Yup. He needs to take that page from Russ.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA