Quick Thoughts - Jacksonville

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
~Byron Murphy is starting to play like the #33 pick in the draft. Guy has a knack for getting his hand on the ball whether it be by pick or PD. Not sold 100% on being a lockdown corner, but he’s definitely becoming a reliable defender

~Where’s the pass rush? After Tennessee, it’s been pretty bleak. Trevor Lawrence was one of the worst QBs against the blitz coming into this game, so I would’ve dialed up more pressure, but we still made him look like a rookie. Moving forward, I wouldn’t be shy about sending Budda at the QB

~One thing I learned about WRs from watching Fitz over the last 100 years was that not everything depreciates with time. AJ Green, though not the AJ Green of 8 years ago, still has good hands (except for the 3&1 drop) and great mechanics. The types of adjustments he made on under-thrown balls and sideline catches were vintage AJ. When Hop is being bracketed, or just off, AJ is a reliable weapon

~That Kirk price tag keeps going up. I dont count on him being a Cardinal after this season

~Rondale Moore needs to touch the ball more than three times in a game. I guess since Kirk and AJ were balling it wasn’t imperative, but when the offense was playing in mud in the first half, Kliff should’ve thrown some gadgets out there to get Moore in space

~That Kyler interception was almost cookie cutter from the one last week. No, it’s not a hand to the face/helmet, it’s a poor decision. It’s fine to admit that, since he’s done far more great than bad, but he has to considerably minimize the brain cramps if this team is going to be a contender moving forward

~Overall, the defense has played 10/12 good-to-great quarters of football. Credit to Vance Joseph, who’s done a stellar job putting his players in positions to succeed. I was on him about Isaiah Simmons last year, but it looks like VJ knew what he was doing.

~I’m not budging on my Kliff take. That FGA was one of the dumbest play calls I’ve seen in this sport. The touchdown that happened was far more likely to happen than the FG going through. As well as the Pugh injury that ensued. I wouldn’t even do that crap in Madden. Same with the fake punt that never was. There’s everything to lose and much less to gain with those types of plays. It’s this pattern of reckless play calling that makes me think he’s nothing more than an offensive coordinator in this league. I give you credit if you can come away from that and think Kliff can coach this team into a contender, because his recent history indicates otherwise

~Obviously too soon, but this current crop of rookie QBs kinda sucks. I think Lawrence figures it out sooner rather than later, but none of these guys have stood out as locks.

~Gus Johnson is becoming one of my most favorite PxP callers in sports. His Gus-gasms are hysterical. FOX has to save him from the catastrophe that is Aqib Talib.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The FG was stupid. Maybe Kyler is already Secret Injured?

I’m fine with the punt. I don’t think the fake was on; I think that’s in the book whenever there’s a block presented. Bad job on special teams, IMO.

Agreed on Vance. The defense has been good without splash plays from Budda or Watt and with almost nothing from our highly touted first round pick. Thompson’s were all over the field.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I just wonder if the fake...fake punt was a ploy, and ran in practice. I mean that the gunners aren't covered cuz they're coming after the punter. We're taking a penalty anyway to snap it late throw the ball to a gunner and that forces them to put people out wide and slows the punt block rush. Not sure KK is that smart but if it is it's a sharp minded play.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Golden ended up with a sack but for the most part I thought the rotting corpse of Joey Porter was wearing 44 for the Cards.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FG was stupid. Maybe Kyler is already Secret Injured?

I’m fine with the punt. I don’t think the fake was on; I think that’s in the book whenever there’s a block presented. Bad job on special teams, IMO.

Agreed on Vance. The defense has been good without splash plays from Budda or Watt and with almost nothing from our highly touted first round pick. Thompson’s were all over the field.

Agreed that wasn't a fake punt but when they leave both gunners totally uncovered it's a gimme first down so yeah I'm sure with Lee as the punter the rule is look if it's open we fake it. Just didn't get the snap off

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny but if we simply tackle Agnew nobody is talking about this.
On that play your linemen shouldn’t be running down the field like a kickoff. Field position didn’t matter and 300 lb linemen are closed to gassed after running 40 yards.

I think this is more on our special team coach.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On that play your linemen shouldn’t be running down the field like a kickoff. Field position didn’t matter and 300 lb linemen are closed to gassed after running 40 yards.

Right? Situational awareness. You tell your guys - if the kick is good - great. If the kick is missed - stop the returner. Like you said - field position does not matter at all. You only have to prevent one guy with the ball from going 109 yards untouched.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his commentary.

I do too. My thing with announcers is I want them to tell me something I don't already know and each week he does. It's why I love Tony Romo who I hated as a player, he predicts so many plays from formation, in fact allegedly they asked him to stop doing it because NFL teams were complaining like Romo was giving away state secrets. like a team is going to monitor the broadcast so they can warn their players hey Romo said it's a run.

Talib tells me stuff about coverage I don't know otherwise. I don't like gus so much he's just too forced with the drama, but I do like how he asks Talib to explain stuff so that the viewer gets it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple thoughts on your thoughts.

1-Moore and Kirk operate in a bit of the same space. There are going to be games where Moore just doesn't get the snaps.

2-My biggest issue with the INT was that it was clearly a two-high safety look and Kyler didn't see it or understand it or care about it. Neither are really ok and I expect better. The Rams will and the many other teams that love the two-high look will continue to bait him into that until he learns. You can split the S if it is a cover 2, but generally not that deep. If it is 4 or 6 you also have very little chance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

How often do you think kk provides time for the FG unit to practice kick coverage? Likely zero bc no one in their right mind contemplates attempting a 68 yard FG.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It’s this pattern of reckless play calling that makes me think he’s nothing more than an offensive coordinator in this league.

People around the league and on this board (inlcuding me) said the same exact things about BA (no risk it no biscuit). He did really dumb stuff but it was surrounded by an amazing offense (most of the time).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often do you think kk provides time for the FG unit to practice kick coverage? Likely zero bc no one in their right mind contemplates attempting a 68 yard FG.
If the players weren’t aware of what could happen they wouldn’t of ran downfield.
Not saying they work on it a ton but technically any fg attempt from 50 yds or more leaves the possibility of a return.
Before you say Prater won’t leave a 50 yd kick short, it could always be partially block.
The execution of the kicking team is what failed. Rodgers should catch some of the heat.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I cringe every time Murray throws to the middle of the field…

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like his commentary.

His tone is very high, which makes it difficult to hear while the crowd is cheering. I called it Mike Tyson doing commentary.

When the crowd is silent or it is just the booth he does have some good analysis. He would probably kill it as a studio host but I don't see him being super successful in live events without changing that tone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
76.5% completion on 9.9 yards an attempt is making you cringe? He is throwing it all over the middle with just a couple errors.

One of the things I notice with Kyler and he did it even as a rookie is he has a feel for where the help is. He's had some picksixed but you don't see too many plays where he leads his WR into a big hit. Gronk got crushed in the Rams game and the announcers were commenting on how Brady takes it personally he prides himself on protecting his receivers. i see that with Kyler too I have seen throws "behind" and then you realize it's because he saw the safety and led his guy away.

What he's doing better THIS year is he's both protecting them and completing them at a high rate.

We need to stop with the INT's, but realize he's done this for 3 games now and he's only got 17 runs for 70 yards, he had 70 yards in a game 5 times last year, he's only got 70 in 3 games this year. I think getting hurt last year clearly let him see the downside to running and while I'm sure when we need it, he'll run, he's being more careful this year which is going to keep him healthy I hope.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray is:

3rd in passing yards
Tied for 2nd in completion percentage
7th in Passing TDs
Tied for 2nd in total TDs
5th in QBR
6th in QB Rating
6th in QB Rushing

And here are some of the commentary I have seen today:

Makes me cringe
What will keep us from going to the super bowl
A top 10 to 15 QB

Dude could turn water to wine and people would bitch it is a blend and not a Malbec

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Murray is:

3rd in passing yards
Tied for 2nd in completion percentage
7th in Passing TDs
Tied for 2nd in total TDs
5th in QBR
6th in QB Rating
6th in QB Rushing

And here are some of the commentary I have seen today:

Makes me cringe
What will keep us from going to the super bowl
A top 10 to 15 QB

Dude could turn water to wine and people would bitch it is a blend and not a Malbec
Because you mentioned the Super Bowl comment which I know I said. We have beaten the Titans, Vikings and Jags...all very meh defenses though the Vikings is at least a tough scheme. This upcoming game against the Rams will be an actual test to see how he elevates his game vs top competition. At that point, if he balls out, you can justifiably argue that he has proven he can take the Cardinals to the Super Bowl as he has beaten a Super Bowl contending team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the players weren’t aware of what could happen they wouldn’t of ran downfield.
Not saying they work on it a ton but technically any fg attempt from 50 yds or more leaves the possibility of a return.
Before you say Prater won’t leave a 50 yd kick short, it could always be partially block.
The execution of the kicking team is what failed. Rodgers should catch some of the heat.
I don’t think you understand offensive linemen and kick defense.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave