I bought a guitar

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have known better than to leave that out right? It’s your basic Les Paul Studio (1990). Glad I kept it because Gibsons have been too rich for my blood ever since!

Yes, you should have known better! :D

Original knobs and mounting rings were black. The original neck pickup is now in the bridge, and there’s a Seymour Duncan Jazz where it used to be.

You must be registered for see images attach

Very sharp! I like the white against the gold pickups.

Studio guitars are a great bang for your buck model of LP for everyday players.

Do you know which neck profile it is? I like the 50's style thick necks but the shredders don't usually like those. (I've never been nor have aspirations to become a shredder)

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very sharp! I like the white against the gold pickups.

Studio guitars are a great bang for your buck model of LP for everyday players.

Do you know which neck profile it is? I like the 50's style thick necks but the shredders don't usually like those. (I've never been nor have aspirations to become a shredder)

Thanks! In person it’s even a little warmer cream, and the tone/volume knobs are amber. I’ve always assumed it has the 50s profile because it’s definitely chunkier than some of the SGs I’ve picked up in the store, and I associate them with the 60s profile. I’m not a shredder either; more of an acoustic and rhythm player.

What’s your #1 these days? I recently got this Godin T-style guitar and have been playing it the most:

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only there was a "#1." :rolleyes:

My daily practice guitar is my Taylor acoustic. Keeps the fingers nice and strong, sounds great, records great. I love everything about it except the lower bout strap button. It's an odd shape so it's extremely difficult to change straps.

My main electrics are:

Guild M-80 - tuned a half-step down for rock and heavy, but sounds great clean too

LP Special w/ P-90's - rock me!

Mexi-Strat S/S/H - clean tones and all-around. Coil split in the neck humbucker

I have a single humbucker SG Special that is awesome to play, but just doesn't get out as much as the three above. It's great for lead work and cuts through a mix extremely well. The humbucker in that thing is killer.

I have posted some pictures before of them here, but maybe I'll use this as an excuse to post a couple more shots of my babies. Since you twisted my arm and everything. ;)

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If only there was a "#1." :rolleyes:

My daily practice guitar is my Taylor acoustic. Keeps the fingers nice and strong, sounds great, records great. I love everything about it except the lower bout strap button. It's an odd shape so it's extremely difficult to change straps.

My main electrics are:

Guild M-80 - tuned a half-step down for rock and heavy, but sounds great clean too

LP Special w/ P-90's - rock me!

Mexi-Strat S/S/H - clean tones and all-around. Coil split in the neck humbucker

I have a single humbucker SG Special that is awesome to play, but just doesn't get out as much as the three above. It's great for lead work and cuts through a mix extremely well. The humbucker in that thing is killer.

I have posted some pictures before of them here, but maybe I'll use this as an excuse to post a couple more shots of my babies. Since you twisted my arm and everything. ;)

Love LP Specials! Back when I started a Hamer Special was one of my dream guitars, but I didn’t know what it was emulating yet. I like pretty much all Specials, Juniors, and their imitators/cousins.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother got me the two guitars of Dad's that I wanted. So, I've got a new Epiphone LP Custom and a Fender P-bass+ now. I wanted those because my wife and I got to perform with Dad at his band's reunion show a couple of years back and that meant a lot to all of us. Dug this out to freshen up the memory:

The Mrs, Dad, and I'm back right. Was such a great night.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother got me the two guitars of Dad's that I wanted. So, I've got a new Epiphone LP Custom and a Fender P-bass+ now. I wanted those because my wife and I got to perform with Dad at his band's reunion show a couple of years back and that meant a lot to all of us. Dug this out to freshen up the memory:

The Mrs, Dad, and I'm back right. Was such a great night.

Very nice pic. A dude I met said they were desperate for a bass player. I told him I hadn't played bass in decades. He said he didn't care... so lent me his P-bass and said to just start chopping around on it. That thing weighs as much as a freaking bag of cement and the fret board is huge. I met up with him (damn good harp player) and managed to chop out a few 12 bar blues tunes without completely embarrassing myself. The main problem is with my guitar lessons I just don't have time to spend with the bass. 1st world problem....

I'll post a pic of it when I get home later.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice pic. A dude I met said they were desperate for a bass player. I told him I hadn't played bass in decades. He said he didn't care... so lent me his P-bass and said to just start chopping around on it. That thing weighs as much as a freaking bag of cement and the fret board is huge. I met up with him (damn good harp player) and managed to chop out a few 12 bar blues tunes without completely embarrassing myself. The main problem is with my guitar lessons I just don't have time to spend with the bass. 1st world problem....

I'll post a pic of it when I get home later.

Good stuff! Now that you have those callouses on the tips of your fingers from the guitar, you get to start over with callouses on the pads of your fingers for bass!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff! Now that you have those callouses on the tips of your fingers from the guitar, you get to start over with callouses on the pads of your fingers for bass!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found one for you to impress your friends, @MrYeahbut .

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found one for you to impress your friends, @MrYeahbut .

I watched that a couple of weeks ago. Paul Davids is fantastic. I love this one. It'll only take me a couple more years!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched that a couple of weeks ago. Paul Davids is fantastic. I love this one. It'll only take me a couple more years!

Agreed, Paul is great. A natural teacher and his videos have amazing production value.

I've been working on a very fast piece recently and I just start with half speed on the metronome and increase by 5-10 bpm after I lock it in at that speed. It comes quick when you go about it that way.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

This is what my instructor has me working on now. I've got the chords and rhythm to where I can play it halfway decent, the lead part is still a ways off. It's got tons of technique in it, slides, pull offs, pre bends, double stops etc... pretty much everything I don't know how to do. Lesson this afternoon.
'

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

This is what my instructor has me working on now. I've got the chords and rhythm to where I can play it halfway decent, the lead part is still a ways off. It's got tons of technique in it, slides, pull offs, pre bends, double stops etc... pretty much everything I don't know how to do. Lesson this afternoon.
'

Fantastic tune that puts a smile on everyone's face when you play it. I still practice it because even though the solo is technically not too bad, the feel is what makes it and that takes a lifetime to master. It's also really fun to play into a looper and then solo over. Have fun this afternoon!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantastic tune that puts a smile on everyone's face when you play it. I still practice it because even though the solo is technically not too bad, the feel is what makes it and that takes a lifetime to master. It's also really fun to play into a looper and then solo over. Have fun this afternoon!

Solo technically not too bad... that's hysterical.. for you maybe!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

'
Get it!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Wish You Were Here, any progress lately, @BigRedRage ?
Nope. It's all but abandoned right now. I occasionally plug into rock smith and play mini games that help with muscle memory and etc but I am stretched so thin that guitar is way back on the back burner.

But, on the positive side, spending lots of time with 5 kids and the lady, got some new puppies, recently passed the SAFE exam to become a licensed mortgage loan originator at a new job within my company and more.

So, busy busy but guitar fell away. @MrYeahbut has done a far better job at discipline than i

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took me a long time to get it down. I'm really not a solo player. I'm the sing and play rhythm guy.
I'm not looking to be a solo guy either, just be able to play lead-ins and fills. I'm not much of a singer, my range is about half an octave... haha

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. It's all but abandoned right now. I occasionally plug into rock smith and play mini games that help with muscle memory and etc but I am stretched so thin that guitar is way back on the back burner.

But, on the positive side, spending lots of time with 5 kids and the lady, got some new puppies, recently passed the SAFE exam to become a licensed mortgage loan originator at a new job within my company and more.

So, busy busy but guitar fell away. @MrYeahbut has done a far better job at discipline than i

It will always be there when you're ready. I'm glad you've got all of those great things going, that's awesome!

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have discipline as much as I have no life. I just hang out with the boss lady, watch sports, play golf with my granddaughter a couple of times a month, watch Nordic Noir shows on Netflix, obsess over the Redbirds and practice guitar as much as I can. We don't socialize at all. But, it's all good!

Really glad you've got a ton of positive things going on in your life!! I'm coming to Phx for Christmas week. I wish there was a way you, @puckhead and me could get together for an hour and have a few laughs. Congrats on the new job.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have discipline as much as I have no life. I just hang out with the boss lady, watch sports, play golf with my granddaughter a couple of times a month, watch Nordic Noir shows on Netflix, obsess over the Redbirds and practice guitar as much as I can. We don't socialize at all. But, it's all good!

Really glad you've got a ton of positive things going on in your life!! I'm coming to Phx for Christmas week. I wish there was a way you, @puckhead and me could get together for an hour and have a few laughs. Congrats on the new job.
I'm not against it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose