MCU: Avenger: Secret Wars

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Secret Wars Creator Jim Shooter Details $10,000 Offer From Marvel, Expects Film Adaptation​

Speaking about the industry in general, Shooter brought up a story about how someone from Marvel called him to offer $10,000 for Shooter to write a novelization of Secret Wars.

Shooter went on to mention that he was then sent a retroactive work-for-hire contract, which he ended up turning down. Another call then came in, this time from David Bogart, the Senior Vice President of Operations & Procurement of Publishing at Marvel Entertainment. Shooter says Bogart apologized for the previous call, and that the retroactive offer was for $10,000.

According to Shooter, the reason for the contract he was sent is because Marvel was trying to secure the rights to Secret Wars and to prevent any potential legal issues from arising in the future. While Shooter didn’t think Marvel needed to retroactively pay him for the characters, he ended up taking the money, and deduced on his own that a movie is coming at some point.

“This means you’re making a movie, right?” Shooter asked. “I’m not allowed to tell you that,” Bogart replied, according to Shooter. Shooter followed that up with, “Well, I think you just did.”

Perhaps one of the most well-known and iconic stories in all of comics, Secret Wars has long been rumored to be the next grand-scale film that the Marvel Cinematic Universe would lead up to. The storyline sees various Marvel heroes and villains being taken by a cosmic entity known as The Beyonder, where they then fight it out on a planet called Battleworld.

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Secret Wars Creator Jim Shooter Details $10,000 Offer From Marvel, Expects Film Adaptation​

Speaking about the industry in general, Shooter brought up a story about how someone from Marvel called him to offer $10,000 for Shooter to write a novelization of Secret Wars.

Shooter went on to mention that he was then sent a retroactive work-for-hire contract, which he ended up turning down. Another call then came in, this time from David Bogart, the Senior Vice President of Operations & Procurement of Publishing at Marvel Entertainment. Shooter says Bogart apologized for the previous call, and that the retroactive offer was for $10,000.

According to Shooter, the reason for the contract he was sent is because Marvel was trying to secure the rights to Secret Wars and to prevent any potential legal issues from arising in the future. While Shooter didn’t think Marvel needed to retroactively pay him for the characters, he ended up taking the money, and deduced on his own that a movie is coming at some point.

“This means you’re making a movie, right?” Shooter asked. “I’m not allowed to tell you that,” Bogart replied, according to Shooter. Shooter followed that up with, “Well, I think you just did.”

Perhaps one of the most well-known and iconic stories in all of comics, Secret Wars has long been rumored to be the next grand-scale film that the Marvel Cinematic Universe would lead up to. The storyline sees various Marvel heroes and villains being taken by a cosmic entity known as The Beyonder, where they then fight it out on a planet called Battleworld.

You must be registered for see images attach

I still have the entire 12-issue run of this. Would be a massive undertaking, but Marvel has demonstrated they're up to the task.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember this is the series where Spidey's black symbiote suit was introduced. I need to pull these out of my closet and re-read.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge fan of Secret Wars. Collected and read the series as it was originally released.

Would love to see it done properly, but Marvel sold off the film rights to too many properties over the years to make it as it should be - which is why it has yet to be made, IMHO - including Spider-Man, the X-Men, the first appearance of the alien symbiote suit which eventually becomes Venom, the Fantastic Four, etc.

Still, would be an epic story to see on film.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I love Secret Wars, but the timeline suggested above seems a little ambitious and taking shortcuts on this would really be a mistake. Plus, in order to do it right, we need some strong cohesion with the various properties like the X-men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four w/ Dr. Doom, etc. or else this will be a dumpster fire.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to add that Molecule Man is a huge part of this story, and I don't recall him being mentioned at all in the modern Marvel Universe, although I still need to catch up on a couple movies and tv shows. So, I could be off about that. He's a very interesting character.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't get how they can do this story without the X-Men if they are not set to appear until after Phase 6 or Phase 7?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Feel like Marvel would introduce them in their own films before throwing them into an Avengers flick, no?
You would think so, but they put Spider-Man and Black Panther in a Captain America (basically an Avengers) movie first, so it's not unprecedented...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think so, but they put Spider-Man and Black Panther in a Captain America (basically an Avengers) movie first, so it's not unprecedented...
That’s true, but those were just two characters. The X-Men is an entire super group of their own right.

Will be interesting to see how they do it. I feel like it needs to be sooner rather than later simply because the B Team Avengers group they have leftover and are trying to cultivate right now don’t seem to be bringing anywhere near the same heat the OG Avengers did.

X-Men is probably the last thing Marvel has to get some of their A-list comic stars back in the fold.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s true, but those were just two characters. The X-Men is an entire super group of their own right.

Will be interesting to see how they do it.
Will also be interesting how many X-Men they are going to bring in. It's already known that Professor X and Wolverine are going to be in Deadpool 3. But not sure how they will figure out that when the X-Men are officially going to be in the MCU, they are undoubtedly going to use different actors for the roles.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will also be interesting how many X-Men they are going to bring in. It's already known that Professor X and Wolverine are going to be in Deadpool 3. But not sure how they will figure out that when the X-Men are officially going to be in the MCU, they are undoubtedly going to use different actors for the roles.
Yeah… that news was interesting. I guess it remains to be seen if the Deadpool universe is in the same universe as everything else in this phase or if they keep them silo’d.

And are we sure they use different actors? Professor X already exists in multiple universes as we saw him in Dr. Strange.

And I think people still desperately want to see Jackman play around with the Marvel bunch. He’s as synonymous with Wolverine as any actor has probably ever been with any role. Deadpool 3 will be his… 10th time playing him including cameos and brief pop ups in X-Men New Class movies?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^All this is why I have my doubts about the announced timeline for SW.

If done properly, I feel like they could produce and even better story than they did with the lead-up to Endgame because the SW story is better, IMO. But if they just want to mash up the current crop of poorer performing properties and crowbar them into the SW story, then I'll just prepare myself for disappointment now. I would love to be proven wrong, but this timeline seems far too quick for the development this deserves.

The other possibility is they're going to be referencing the SW story from around 2015 which I didn't get to read. If that's the case, then I could certainly be way off in my predictions of doom.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dead Pool seriously complicates things. He is intertwined with the current X-men franchise. The MCU will reboot/recast X-Men. Does this this mean that they see Dead Pool 3 as being "It" for this iteration of the character?!?!

Will they reboot Dead Pool in a similar fashion as Daredevil down the road after Phase 6 or 7?? I can't imagine them ditching Dead Pool after this. It just doesn't make much sense unless they reboot Dead Pool too with the reboot/recast of X-men.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure this will be the more recent version of Secret Wars, not the original.

Secret Wars (2015)[edit]​

Main article: Secret Wars (2015 comic book)
In May 2015, Marvel published a new Secret Wars miniseries, written by Jonathan Hickman and drawn by Esad Ribić, that picked up from where the "Time Runs Out" storyline running in Avengers and New Avengers at the time had ended.[29] The storyline involved the Marvel Universe combining with other alternate universes, including the Ultimate Universe, as well as the 2099 Universe, to form Battleworld, a world which exhibits aspects of the various universes. The core limited series was nine issues long, and ran for eight months, ending in January 2016.[30][31][32] One of the core miniseries, Ultimate End, had ended the Ultimate Marvel imprint after 15 years at the time. Ultimate End is written by Brian Michael Bendis and artist Mark Bagley, the team that began the Ultimate Marvel universe with Ultimate Spider-Man.[33]

This story fits very much with the Multiverse Saga

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose