Cam Johnson

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was good tonight. Not trying to hate but in general he bites on everything and gets beat 1v1 defense every time. If hes not hitting threes hes not offering much (except tonight). Lakers series they were hunting him and nobody talked about that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never been more mad and upset on a draft night than when we drafted Cam. He is now one of my favorite players and I absolutely love watching him play.

same. I think he eventually makes Bridges expendable when we need to use him as a big piece of a trade for our next PGOTF for the next era of title contention post-CP3.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh my god we need to draft a PF!!!!

where’s that crowd now? Cam has turned into a hell of a player for us and man talk about not being scared of the moment he’s been lights out this whole playoff run.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where are the SAVANTS that wanted Crowder to play over CamJ because the former was so much better?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
James Jones has proven to be an almost genius team builder, parlaying gambles into more sure things.

I liked the Cam pick because that's what I saw, giving up on more of a gamble for more of sure things (Johnson and Saric). Jones has been proven right.

My thing with looking at BBall players coming out of the draft is that I want a guy that has one NBA trait that he can hang his hat on right away. Cam was a lights out shooter so I was confident he'd get some PT. Well I didn't think he would be as feisty on defense, and he is turning into a legit good player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
same. I think he eventually makes Bridges expendable when we need to use him as a big piece of a trade for our next PGOTF for the next era of title contention post-CP3.
Blasphemy LOL....but you might be right here. Bridges is just such a damn good glue guy, but I'm more confident in Cam's shooting ability and I think he can turn into a decent fourth scorer and plus defender. I'm not confident Bridges will ever be a decent fourth scorer even though he's a near elite defender.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy LOL....but you might be right here. Bridges is just such a damn good glue guy, but I'm more confident in Cam's shooting ability and I think he can turn into a decent fourth scorer and plus defender. I'm not confident Bridges will ever be a decent fourth scorer even though he's a near elite defender.

i also think Sarver is going to draw the line at taking bajillions out of his wallet at some point this summer after forking over a MAX to Ayton and 100/3 for CP3. So unless Bridges is happy with something in the 13-15 million dollar range, I see him as the odd man out of a growing payroll moving forward.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not unless Cam makes huge leaps with his defense. Bridges despite his offensive struggles has played lock down defense multiple times. Plus the Suns go how Bridges goes. The Suns are 10-1 in the playoffs when Bridges scores in double figures. Bridges doing it on both ends is devastating to other teams. Cam is not even close to the defender Bridges is. I love Cam but not over Bridges at this stage in his career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i also think Sarver is going to draw the line at taking bajillions out of his wallet at some point this summer after forking over a MAX to Ayton and 100/3 for CP3. So unless Bridges is happy with something in the 13-15 million dollar range, I see him as the odd man out of a growing payroll moving forward.

Bridges is likely to be overpaid, and could end up being that guy who gets too much and has a bad contract for 3-5 years, and then ends up being a bargain player closer to the end of his career.

I'm confident that Jones will make the right call because he has probably 80% of the time so far. Even trading away Warren WITH assets looks good now, because it cleared the cap to make future moves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges is likely to be overpaid, and could end up being that guy who gets too much and has a bad contract for 3-5 years, and then ends up being a bargain player closer to the end of his career.

I'm confident that Jones will make the right call because he has probably 80% of the time so far. Even trading away Warren WITH assets looks good now, because it cleared the cap to make future moves.

yup. Total agreeement.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not unless Cam makes huge leaps with his defense. Bridges despite his offensive struggles has played lock down defense multiple times. Plus the Suns go how Bridges goes. The Suns are 10-1 in the playoffs when Bridges scores in double figures. Bridges doing it on both ends is devastating to other teams. Cam is not even close to the defender Bridges is. I love Cam but not over Bridges at this stage in his career.
Offense > defense in the NBA. I know this isn't always true, but I think I'd rather have a plus scorer who is a decent defender over a plus defender who is decent on offense. I think Cam will be a better offensive player long term, and I think he will also be cheaper than Bridges.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offense > defense in the NBA. I know this isn't always true, but I think I'd rather have a plus scorer who is a decent defender over a plus defender who is decent on offense. I think Cam will be a better offensive player long term, and I think he will also be cheaper than Bridges.

No no and no. Almost every NBA analyst has said the opposite. Almost universally they have said the biggest reason for the Suns turnaround and run is defense. I 100% agree. That doesn't mean offensive isn't really important. However, the Suns defense is absolutely why we are here. The Suns have been able to put up points before. The biggest change was being a top 5 to 10 defense all season long. We have NEVER had that and here we are.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. What guy is out there that will be in his mid 30s in a couple years? :). In all seriousness.. I've mentioned it before, but I'm down for this line of thinking. Easier said than done. But I want maturity out there from my floor manager. A guy with one foot in the door and the other out. Elder Nash and CP have me convinced. Jmo

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. We all know Sarver at some point gets the "sweats". You might very well be right. I just think the team is weaker defensively where Cam is at right now. Maybe he will make a leap. Heck....Ayton did.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I found that quite interesting when the announcers were discussing how Cam graduated in 3 years then transferred for his masters and continued to play because he had eligibility left. I may have heard that before but it didn't stick in my head. Makes more sense why he was an older player when drafted.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yep, Jones is turning out to be a team building genius. Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges are so poised at such a young age maybe partly due to their college championship experience.

Reaction score
I just want to say that I LOVE Cam Johnson as a player and I hope to see him wearing the Suns colors for a long time. I like his ability as a shooter, his athleticism, his attitude... and the awesome dunk he did in game 3...a masterpiece!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose