Cats going back to Omaha!!!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cats beat Ole Miss 16-3 and are headed back to Omaha. Jay Johnson is a great manager and the offense is on fire. Third time the Cats are going back to Omaha in 9 years. Hopefully they can bring home the title again.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately it likely won't ever happen again, as the University just made the worst coaching hire possible. Chip Hale ruined the Diamondbacks franchise with his awful, awful coaching, and the University just inexplicably hired him to do the same in Tucson.

Outside of Adia Barnes, the U of A's Athletic Department is in total shambles.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately it likely won't ever happen again, as the University just made the worst coaching hire possible. Chip Hale ruined the Diamondbacks franchise with his awful, awful coaching, and the University just inexplicably hired him to do the same in Tucson.

Outside of Adia Barnes, the U of A's Athletic Department is in total shambles.
Chip will keep the program going. The guy is one of the best to ever put on a UofA uniform and has coaching experience. Coaching the Diamondbacks is a totally different job. Chip is a teacher and college students will listen and play for him. You can't judge a hire until after 2-3 years.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Chip will keep the program going. The guy is one of the best to ever put on a UofA uniform and has coaching experience. Coaching the Diamondbacks is a totally different job. Chip is a teacher and college students will listen and play for him. You can't judge a hire until after 2-3 years.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chip is a nice guy but is anything BUT a teacher. The entire Diamondbacks roster forgot the most basic of fundamentals under his watch. There is zero accountability in his clubhouse, and there is no rhyme or reason to his strategy. His total lack of intelligence, utter passivity, poor communication skills and overwhelming eagerness to be buddy-buddy with his players make a deadly combination for any team that wants to be successful. He is best suited as a third base coach or bench coach (as the player-friendly buffer to the person who actually makes the decisions and holds the players accountable), rather than a manager or head coach, for that reason. He was only at the helm of the Diamondbacks for 2 seasons, and we continue to feel the fall-out of it a half a decade later.

The guy from UCSB or Oregon, or just about ANYBODY else, would have been a MUCH better hire.

If I am on the Board of Regents, I reject the contract, no matter what its terms are, as Hale is no more qualified to be a head coach than my 18 year old son.

Expect this team to be among the worst in the NCAA in categories like fielding percentage, errors, baserunning blunders, situational hitting, situational pitching and blown leads, just like his Diamondbacks teams were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chip is a nice guy but is anything BUT a teacher. The entire Diamondbacks roster forgot the most basic of fundamentals under his watch. There is zero accountability in his clubhouse, and there is no rhyme or reason to his strategy. His total lack of intelligence, utter passivity, poor communication skills and overwhelming eagerness to be buddy-buddy with his players make a deadly combination for any team that wants to be successful. He is best suited as a third base coach or bench coach (as the player-friendly buffer to the person who actually makes the decisions and holds the players accountable), rather than a manager or head coach, for that reason. He was only at the helm of the Diamondbacks for 2 seasons, and we continue to feel the fall-out of it a half a decade later.

The guy from UCSB or Oregon, or just about ANYBODY else, would have been a MUCH better hire.

If I am on the Board of Regents, I reject the contract, no matter what its terms are, as Hale is no more qualified to be a head coach than my 18 year old son.

Expect this team to be among the worst in the NCAA in categories like fielding percentage, errors, baserunning blunders, situational hitting, situational pitching and blown leads, just like his Diamondbacks teams were.
Please. The pros losing their fundamentals because of the coach. Keep reaching. College students are not making money, they are there to get better to improve their chances of getting into pros. Checkers was never going to come here. He has passed up other major programs. Waz has one year of college head coaching and he had a team full of veterans. Recruiting won't be a problem. Chip is much better suited for the college game
I am sure you hated the Fisch and Lloyd hirings. Maybe instead of always having a negative outlook, wait and see how the team does in the next few years

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please. The pros losing their fundamentals because of the coach. Keep reaching. College students are not making money, they are there to get better to improve their chances of getting into pros. Checkers was never going to come here. He has passed up other major programs. Waz has one year of college head coaching and he had a team full of veterans. Recruiting won't be a problem. Chip is much better suited for the college game
I am sure you hated the Fisch and Lloyd hirings. Maybe instead of always having a negative outlook, wait and see how the team does in the next few years

I have seen enough of Chip Hale. He is the worst baseball manager I have seen at any level. I am even on record as believing he was the one and only D-Backs manager who was actually worse than Al Pedrique. There are little league managers I would prefer over Chip Hale. And I am not the only one who believes this. You should see the comments at the Wildcat Authority site. Even the proprietor of the site thinks this was a joke of a hire.

And for the record, I LOVED the Lloyd hire but hated the bungling that occurred to get to what should have been the obvious choice, and I am indifferent on Fisch, though again I hated the bungling that occurred in THAT coaching search.

The fact remains that Robbins/Heeke have been a disaster, and we are beyond lucky that we still have Adia Barnes.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don’t like the hire, but I don’t want to execute the guy like 1Sun does. Let him coach and recruit first

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t like the hire, but I don’t want to execute the guy like 1Sun does. Let him coach and recruit first

My ire isn't directed at Hale here. Like I said, I think Chip Hale is a very nice guy, just a lousy manager. My ire is directed at Robbins and Heeke who seem to be doing all they can to sabotage our Athletic Department (and in the case of Robbins, our University).

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
My ire isn't directed at Hale here. Like I said, I think Chip Hale is a very nice guy, just a lousy manager. My ire is directed at Robbins and Heeke who seem to be doing all they can to sabotage our Athletic Department (and in the case of Robbins, our University).
Fair. Heeke and Robbins have been stressful to watch operate an AD

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m skeptical of his ability to connect with teenagers.

Oh, he'll connect...as their friend, not as a coach who will be able to hold them accountable and get them to grow up...