Model S Plaid delivery event 6/10

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speculations that this along with cybertruck will actually have longer range than originally announced. The car gets unveiled live tonight at 7pm (website says stream at 7pm but likely actually goes down at 830pm)

Lots of interesting new updates to the vehicle within the article. Should be an interesting night.

Musk claims the Plaid Model S will be the “quickest production car ever made.”. We already know most of the relevant specs: an estimated range of 390 miles, a top speed of 200mph and a 0–60mph sprint in 1.99 seconds The new model is priced at $129,990, compared to $79,990 for a long-range Model S

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/10/22527645/tesla-model-s-plaid-event-watch-how-to-start-time

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no sudden changes to specs but holy crap the features. Between the audip system and the ps5 comparable computing speeds, what a cool ass whip. I'll never be in the market for a $130k sedan but those who are should love it.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That stupid steering wheel is as bad as everyone expected to be…

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stupid steering wheel is as bad as everyone expected to be…

I feel like it's too soon but until I tried one I'll reserve judgement. Just seems it would make things harder in lightning fast situations. This guy driving in his neighborhood isn't much of a test

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if we want to drive from Mesa, AZ to Twin Falls, ID (a little over 800 miles) we can't do it in one day?

Guess we'll keep waiting for the tech to catch up. Need more range than 390 miles.

:shrug:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if we want to drive from Mesa, AZ to Twin Falls, ID (a little over 800 miles) we can't do it in one day?

Guess we'll keep waiting for the tech to catch up. Need more range than 390 miles.

:shrug:
You can, you just have to "fuel up" on the way, just like with gas cars. You can add 150+ miles in 15 minutes of charging while you grab a burger or take a dump. Also, the tablet inside has ps5 level specs and a great audio system so you could watch a show or something while you charge. it also has quite a bit of video games on it.

auto makers see 400 as the goal mark for EV. The average american commute is 30 miles a day. Most gas vehicles get about 400 miles on a tank. (newer sedans at least)

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can, you just have to "fuel up" on the way, just like with gas cars. You can add 150+ miles in 15 minutes of charging while you grab a burger or take a dump. Also, the tablet inside has ps5 level specs and a great audio system so you could watch a show or something while you charge. it also has quite a bit of video games on it.

auto makers see 400 as the goal mark for EV. The average american commute is 30 miles a day. Most gas vehicles get about 400 miles on a tank. (newer sedans at least)
As his usual Musk overpromised Plaid Plus model, would have offered range of over 520 miles but is cancelled now.

Also that 0-60 time is total bs, they are using one-foot rollout and then start the time.

Car is fast, here is passing a McLaren Senna at laguna seca.
Driver on the Senna said he was flat out full gas. Is a 1.3 mil supercar !

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How long does it take to charge most cars from empty to full? Who wants to wait to fill up your car more than 10 min like in a gas powered car. Unless you are shopping at the mall, or going to WalMart, it doesn't seem to work for most people. (yes, they have charging stations at my local WalMart) The range just puts people off.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As his usual Musk overpromised Plaid Plus model, would have offered range of over 520 miles but is cancelled now.

Also that 0-60 time is total bs, they are using one-foot rollout and then start the time.

Car is fast, here is passing a McLaren Senna at laguna seca.
Driver on the Senna said he was flat out full gas. Is a 1.3 mil supercar !

Latest rumors are the cybertruck could be at 610 miles instead of its announced 500+ mileage.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Anything on that long promised $25,000 Tesla? Last I heard it was supposedly going to be a hatchback version of the 3?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to charge most cars from empty to full? Who wants to wait to fill up your car more than 10 min like in a gas powered car. Unless you are shopping at the mall, or going to WalMart, it doesn't seem to work for most people. (yes, they have charging stations at my local WalMart) The range just puts people off.

I'm over it. My truck will have over 500 miles range and it will be plenty. The only time I should ever have to fully charge it is on a road trip and if I have to take a 30 minute break every 500 miles, its really not a big deal. that's 6-8 hours of driving. By then I'm starved and need to stretch anyway.

99% of my driving is less than 500 miles so no reason to concern myself with range. I will plug it in at home when needed and most the time, because of solar on the truck gaining 15 miles per day, I usually wont even have to plug in.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything on that long promised $25,000 Tesla? Last I heard it was supposedly going to be a hatchback version of the 3?

model 2 is rumored to be a 25k vehicle but likely a few years out. Once it does, it will likely replace my ladies hyundai. She drives for a living and the 2020 hyundai already has 70k miles on it so its too late to switch it up and will just keep driving this until model 2 is available.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they need the German gigafactory finished for that one. Main market is Europe for that car, to go against Golfs.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they need the German gigafactory finished for that one. Main market is Europe for that car, to go against Golfs.

I was reading speculation that Tesla China is the one behind the model 2.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
model 2 is rumored to be a 25k vehicle but likely a few years out. Once it does, it will likely replace my ladies hyundai. She drives for a living and the 2020 hyundai already has 70k miles on it so its too late to switch it up and will just keep driving this until model 2 is available.
Replace the Hyundai with another one, the Ioniq 5 is really good. And 800v chargers faster than Tesla

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm over it. My truck will have over 500 miles range and it will be plenty. The only time I should ever have to fully charge it is on a road trip and if I have to take a 30 minute break every 500 miles, its really not a big deal. that's 6-8 hours of driving. By then I'm starved and need to stretch anyway.

99% of my driving is less than 500 miles so no reason to concern myself with range. I will plug it in at home when needed and most the time, because of solar on the truck gaining 15 miles per day, I usually wont even have to plug in.

I don't know if the general public will ever be over the convenience of gasoline powered cars, unless they are banned.

If there is a 25k model 2, it would likely be my next car purchase when my Camry dies.. (if it does)

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Ioniq 5 can charge from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes, at a 350-kw DC fast-charger, and it can recover 68 miles of range in about five minutes.

When the range will pass 450 miles no one will buy an ICE car, EV will be superior in all metric ICE will be obsolete.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I drove a Tesla, I knew I was fully onboard with switching to EV. After one single drive. It's just a whole nother machine. I have no use for a sedan or I would have bought a model 3 years ago. I've now driven my buddies model 3 on multiple occasions, went a distance in auto pilot and more. I cannot wait to make the move.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know if the general public will ever be over the convenience of gasoline powered cars, unless they are banned.

If there is a 25k model 2, it would likely be my next car purchase when my Camry dies.. (if it does)

Camry so that gives you at least 25 more years, that is if you never change the oil !

Gasoline cars will have no advantage. EV charge overnight and is full every day. ICE you have to go to a gas station.

Also won’t be in production for much longer.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camry so that gives you at least 25 more years, that is if you never change the oil !

Gasoline cars will have no advantage. EV charge overnight and is full every day. ICE you have to go to a gas station.

Also won’t be in production for much longer.
This too. The only time you need a supercharger is on a road trip so the convenience of ICE is only there once or twice a year for the average person. Having a full tank every morning is far more convenient to me than saving 15 minutes per fuel up on a road trip.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I drove a Tesla, I knew I was fully onboard with switching to EV. After one single drive. It's just a whole nother machine. I have no use for a sedan or I would have bought a model 3 years ago. I've now driven my buddies model 3 on multiple occasions, went a distance in auto pilot and more. I cannot wait to make the move.

I haven't driven one, but I have been in one. Linda has driven one though. I am Tesla all the way.

There is a 'stigma' out there about EV and it won't go away until they can equal or surpass gasoline.