SpaceX Tests Experimental Starlink Terminal That Uses 2 Square-Shaped Dishes

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SpaceX Tests Experimental Starlink Terminal That Uses 2 Square-Shaped Dishes

https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-tests-experimental-starlink-satellite-that-uses-2-square-shaped

SpaceX is testing a new version of Starlink that operates via two satellite dishes instead of one.

The company revealed the experimental dish in an FCC filing last week, which was spotted by Wccftech. The document indicates the dish separates the transmitting and receiving antennas into two squares that’ll communicate with SpaceX’s satellite internet network. Each square measures 12.2 inches by 12.2 inches.

The design is notably different from the circular satellite dish design on a standard Starlink terminal, which the company has been distributing to thousands of eager customers. That dish, which measures 23 inches in diameter, contains both the transmitting and receiving antennas.

SpaceX’s application to the FCC doesn’t reveal much about the experimental dish or its purpose. The document merely says the company is seeking a six-month license to test the dish starting on July 10 in five states: California, Colorado, Utah, Texas, and Washington.

The application was filed as SpaceX is rolling out Starlink across the globe to potentially millions of users in need of high-speed internet. To reach the goal, the company is trying to reduce the $499 upfront cost of each Starlink terminal, which includes the dish and a Wi-Fi modem.

More at the link: https://www.pcmag.com/news/spacex-tests-experimental-starlink-satellite-that-uses-2-square-shaped

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly worth keeping an eye on. Still pretty expensive and it sounds like congestion is going to be a big hurdle as they add users. Not likely to help folks in the big cities, but I'm sure rural communities are very interested.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certainly worth keeping an eye on. Still pretty expensive and it sounds like congestion is going to be a big hurdle as they add users. Not likely to help folks in the big cities, but I'm sure rural communities are very interested.

It is 100% for rural communities and most of the world vs our big cities.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Indeed, the latency on satellite internet is quite bad. (something about shooting a long shot up into space doesn't help!)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Indeed, the latency on satellite internet is quite bad. (something about shooting a long shot up into space doesn't help!)

Surprisingly latency isn't a kill with Starlink. From what I've read the initial users are getting 20-80ms depending on their location and Starlink is claiming it'll be 20-40 ms once they get their issues worked out. That's killer compared to the 600 or 700+ ms of traditional satellite internet.

A guy I work with lives in the rural mountains of North Carolina and he can't wait to get Starlink. It'll be a game changer for him compared to the options he has now. He gets less than a 20 meg connection and the latency is in the same range as Starlink.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly latency isn't a kill with Starlink. From what I've read the initial users are getting 20-80ms depending on their location and Starlink is claiming it'll be 20-40 ms once they get their issues worked out. That's killer compared to the 600 or 700+ ms of traditional satellite internet.

A guy I work with lives in the rural mountains of North Carolina and he can't wait to get Starlink. It'll be a game changer for him compared to the options he has now. He gets less than a 20 meg connection and the latency is in the same range as Starlink.

I deal with a lot of rural customers and they might as well be on dial up with how bad their internet is. This service is going to be a big deal for getting everyone online and the same benefits that us city dwellers have.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
articles coming out talking about this being used on airplanes too

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Gigabit fiber up and down and I would love a 10GB solution. If I had to pay $500 or even $2k for that, I probably would.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I have Gigabit fiber up and down and I would love a 10GB solution. If I had to pay $500 or even $2k for that, I probably would.

Going to have to move to Chattanooga. It's the only place I know that has 10GB residential service. $300/month for both up and down. No data caps either. I wish we could get their provider here. Even their 1GB connection are capless and under $70. Blows Cox away.

I was joking with the guys at work at the start of the year that we should move our team there for it. At the time the city was also offering a $10k housing allotment for programmers that relocated there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to have to move to Chattanooga. It's the only place I know that has 10GB residential service. $300/month for both up and down. No data caps either. I wish we could get their provider here. Even their 1GB connection are capless and under $70. Blows Cox away.

I was joking with the guys at work at the start of the year that we should move our team there for it. At the time the city was also offering a $10k housing allotment for programmers that relocated there.

That would be nice. $300 is steep though. I pay $55 right now for the 1 up and down.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
That would be nice. $300 is steep though. I pay $55 right now for the 1 up and down.

Wow, $55! My 1 up and down with Cox is $120. What part of CO are you in? I've thought of maybe going up there. I think my work would allow it since we have a few other people working remote in there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, $55! My 1 up and down with Cox is $120. What part of CO are you in? I've thought of maybe going up there. I think my work would allow it since we have a few other people working remote in there.

The city is called Longmont. The internet is owned by the city, so you don't have to deal with all of the BS from Cox/Comcast, whomever. Quite a few cities in the area are putting fiber up.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SpaceX launches third rocket in four days, putting up another 49 Starlink satellites
Following successful launches Monday and Wednesday, SpaceX fired off another Falcon 9 rocket Thursday, boosting 49 more Starlink internet relay satellites into orbit. It was the California rocket builder's sixth launch in just 28 days.

It was the third Starlink launch so far this year and the program's 36th dedicated flight, pushing the total number of SpaceX broadband satellites orbited to date to 2,091 as the company builds out a globe-spanning network of commercial internet satellites.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I pay $90 a month for 500gb. yuck.

and my router is only putting out 250mbps....time to upgrade I guess.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NASA says SpaceX satellites could kill astronauts and threaten Earth​

SpaceX could be on the receiving end of some bad news soon. A letter from NASA has surfaced which shares concerns that the SpaceX plan for Starlink Gen2 could endanger astronauts. NASA also says it could endanger people on Earth, too.

The letter was spotted by CNBC space reporter Michael Sheetz and SpaceNews. The five-page letter was submitted to the Federal Communications Commission on February 8, 2022. It was submitted by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration on NASA’s behalf. SpaceX shared new plans for the launch of Starlink’s second-generation satellites earlier this year.

The new plan would see SpaceX’s Starship taking the 30,000 satellites needed for Gen 2 up to orbit. Based on the new letter, NASA looks to be pushing back, citing possible risks to its ongoing missions and even human life.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SpaceX: Here's Why Starlink Poses No Orbital Hazard​

SpaceX is pushing back on worries the company’s Starlink network will one day crowd Earth’s orbit with too many satellites.

SpaceX on Tuesday published a 2,100-word statement on its website that lays out why it believes Starlink will never litter Earth’s orbit with space junk or cause orbital collisions with other satellites. The company also says it’s been sharing all orbital data from the existing Starlink network with governments and other satellite providers.

“SpaceX is striving to be the world’s most open and transparent satellite operator,” the company added, “and we encourage other operators to join us in sharing orbital data and keeping the public and governments updated with detailed information about operations and practices.”

The post comes as SpaceX is seeking FCC clearance to operate a second-generation Starlink network, which will span nearly 30,000 satellites, making it far and above the largest satellite constellation ever.

In response, SpaceX on Tuesday said it’s the leader in satellite safety and listed the various reasons why.

* Each Starlink satellite is built with an anti-collision avoidance system, capable of maneuvering the satellite. “If there is a greater than 1/100,000 probability of collision (10x lower than the industry standard of 1/10,000) for a conjunction, satellites will plan avoidance maneuvers," the company said.

* SpaceX satellite operators are on call 24/7 to coordinate and respond to requests from other satellite companies.

* The satellites have also been tested for high reliability, enabling SpaceX to launch over 2,000 satellites for the existing first-gen Starlink network with a failure rate at “only 1% after orbit raising.” Another 200 Starlink satellites have been safely deorbited.

* All Starlink satellites operate in a “self-cleaning” low-Earth orbit below 600 kilometers, meaning the satellites will naturally de-orbit in five to six years and burn up in the atmosphere, generating no debris at all.

In addition, the company said it’s already been openly sharing information about Starlink orbits with the FCC, US Space Force, and Space-Track.org, a public website.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose