Nuggets @ Suns Monday Playoff game thread 6-7-2021 - Game 1

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver is a good team. Portland won big in their first game too (and on the road no less) which amounted to nothing in the end. The Suns shouldn't take this team lightly, they can and will play better at some point.

this.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Porter is way over hyped , he's got alot to like scoring wise but he brings nothing else to the table, bad defender, average at best rebounder, and doesn't help his teammates much. If he gets hot it's a problem but if he doesn't shoot lights out he's normally a negative on the court

Even offensively there is a lot to be desired. He kills ball movement and can really create. He best skill is his ability to make tough shots at an above average rate, but that can be a double edged sword. Murray is the guy who'd really worry me, without him I feel like Jokic needs to go berserk to give them a chance(kind of like Dame and Luka in the 1st round).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denver is a good team. Portland won big in their first game too (and on the road no less) which amounted to nothing in the end. The Suns shouldn't take this team lightly, they can and will play better at some point.

I thought Denver played excellent in the 1st half and had Phoenix on the ropes until the 3rd quarter when the Suns turned up the defense. The Nuggets are a good team, no doubt it.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F sleep tonight what a great feeling i was sooooo worried suns might choke being to confident but paul book are a deadly combo

Lol gonna try to get few zzz

Rise up we are the valley!!!! :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take Gordon on Booker over Booker on Murry. Didn't think Denver would miss him so much but against the Suns he was the Man. This series is over Utah or Clips?

Yes. The winner of the Utah-Clippers series is the next opponent.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were different descriptions of how the Nuggets played from their players and coach.

Duane Rankin
@DuaneRankin

"Soft, that's a good way to put it. "Scared, that's another way to put it. You can choose between those two words. Either soft or scared. That's what felt like we were playing like. And then we were just breaking down." #Nuggets forward and former Arizona star Aaron Gordon. #Suns
11:54 PM · Jun 7, 2021

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turned it on with Denver up and caught the entire run. If you're Denver you know you can play better but you also have to be thinking Booker didn't even have that great of a game and Phoenix blew them out. CP3 just dominated the 4th quarter.

Denver needs to get Jokic the ball more so he can attack Ayton but I thought the Suns did a nice job of when to double and who to double off, Denver shot way too many contested 3's. I think Porter took 4 or 5 of them in the time i watched off curls, he made one the others were all forced shots.

About the only thing that worked that I saw was them posting Gordon on Booker but the game had gotten away by that point anyways.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turned it on with Denver up and caught the entire run. If you're Denver you know you can play better but you also have to be thinking Booker didn't even have that great of a game and Phoenix blew them out. CP3 just dominated the 4th quarter.

Denver needs to get Jokic the ball more so he can attack Ayton but I thought the Suns did a nice job of when to double and who to double off, Denver shot way too many contested 3's. I think Porter took 4 or 5 of them in the time i watched off curls, he made one the others were all forced shots.

About the only thing that worked that I saw was them posting Gordon on Booker but the game had gotten away by that point anyways.

In the first half it felt like the Nuggets couldn't miss a shot. I thought they really played well and I started thinking it could be a long night.

It was in the 3rd quarter the Suns really got after it defensively and started running. Ayton played excellent defense and the Suns took the Nuggets out of their game.

Looking back, it felt like the Suns were playing Portland.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the interview with Nuggets head coach Michael Malone and players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit, I look at our team and each series I underestimate them. I can't really fully enjoy this run when I keep thinking they are going to lose!

I keep forgetting this team has another gear. We saw that in the third quarter.

The video might not be the best but it shows what the Suns look like in that gear.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the suns realized there’s no shot blocker on the Nuggets. Jokic cannot afford foul trouble as well. Suns stopped jacking 3’s and started attacking.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I keep forgetting this team has another gear. We saw that in the third quarter.

The video might not be the best but it shows what the Suns look like in that gear.

Yup that’s a great example of when they’re engaged and full bore. Book does a little celebratory hop and then immediately remembers they need to get back on D, turns, waves his teammates back on D, and sprints towards the other end.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the suns realized there’s no shot blocker on the Nuggets. Jokic cannot afford foul trouble as well. Suns stopped jacking 3’s and started attacking.
Which is exactly what they need to do. Attack jokic at the basket. He’s big, but he’s not a shotblocker. Go at him. Either you score or draw a crucial foul on jokic or both. They can’t afford jokic in foul trouble.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jokic did have three blocks last night but he only averages 0.7 for his career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jokic did have three blocks last night but he only averages 0.7 for his career.
Every player has outlier games. It’s our forwards and book and Ayton that need to take it at jokic. Paul doesn’t really do that anymore and Payne doesn’t get the lift necessary and won’t get the call (like last night).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good that it loosens up

Bad that it has to loosen up

Back to the topic of Chris Paul's shoulder. Since he doesn't get practice time the only way to check it out is during the game.

By Royce Young ESPN Staff Writer:

"It definitely loosens up," Paul said. "One thing about it is you don't get no practice time. The only way you get a chance to see how it is is during the game. It was good. It was fun to get out there and be involved. That last series was, that was tough. I'm glad to be back helping the team."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-close-phoenix-suns-game-1-win-denver-nuggets