Deandre Ayton discussion

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill give Ayton game 1, game 2 was AD, game 3 was LeBron, game 4 was Paul, and game 5 was Booker. That's what I saw.

I would say Booker has been better in our wins than Ayton but Ayton was more consistent through the losses. I'd give Booker the edge now for how he played Schroeder the last 2 games on D and also how his performances have resulted in wins. Even though I said Ayton was the best player in game 1, Booker was not far behind in that one.

That's not knocking Ayton by any means. He's doing more than I expected of him. I hope to see this version of him more often. I just wish he expanded his offensive game more so he could be a real option we could go to for easy buckets when our outside shots aren't falling.

14 points/17 rebounds was a dominant defensive performance by Ayton which keyed that W. If anything, it's a push between Ayton and CP3 for that game. That gives Ayton 4 very good to great games and keying 2 of the 3 wins. Booker was good/great in Games 1 and 5, but was pretty mediocre and awful down the stretch in Game 2, bad in Game 3, AWFUL in Game 4 and great in Game 5. I think in a series where Booker was a bust in 2 games, I think it's fair to say Ayton has been our best player in the series overall.

and this is coming from an Ayton skeptic.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill give Ayton game 1, game 2 was AD, game 3 was LeBron, game 4 was Paul, and game 5 was Booker. That's what I saw.

I would say Booker has been better in our wins than Ayton but Ayton was more consistent through the losses. I'd give Booker the edge now for how he played Schroeder the last 2 games on D and also how his performances have resulted in wins. Even though I said Ayton was the best player in game 1, Booker was not far behind in that one.

That's not knocking Ayton by any means. He's doing more than I expected of him. I hope to see this version of him more often. I just wish he expanded his offensive game more so he could be a real option we could go to for easy buckets when our outside shots aren't falling.

You can see almost anything. However, it doesn't change the fact that his presence in the game has completely bothered the Lakers. Have you actually seen any of the post game? Lakers have brought it up multiple times. Commentators in the game have brought it up multiple times. The stats bare that out through the first 4. Hell even the stats not being tracked like altered shots bare that out.

The Lakers literally talked about scheming around Ayton since game one to get him out of the paint. Can you name another time that has happened all season long? I don't recall another team scheming for Ayton. Booker yes. Paul yes. AYTON?!?!?!?

His offense has just been exactly what the team needed until this last game. Why? Because they didn't need it. He made his presence felt in other ways and still grabbed 7. I don't know about you but I would rather NOT depend on Ayton's offense because that means the team is lighting it up in other ways. Ayton scoring is icing on the cake.

Look I get it. Ayton has been inconsistent, immature and at times disappeared this season. He DESERVES all that criticism. He has not been perfect in this series. No Suns players have. However, there is no way you can downplay his impact in this series. Remove him from the team and we are not in this series IMO.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
14 points/17 rebounds was a dominant defensive performance by Ayton which keyed that W. If anything, it's a push between Ayton and CP3 for that game. That gives Ayton 4 very good to great games and keying 2 of the 3 wins. Booker was good/great in Games 1 and 5, but was pretty mediocre and awful down the stretch in Game 2, bad in Game 3, AWFUL in Game 4 and great in Game 5. I think in a series where Booker was a bust in 2 games, I think it's fair to say Ayton has been our best player in the series overall.

and this is coming from an Ayton skeptic.
Agreed. Even without scoring and rebounding as much last night he shut down the paint. Ayton has been the most impactful player for the series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Even without scoring and rebounding as much last night he shut down the paint. Ayton has been the most impactful player for the series.

I'd definitely say he was the most consistent but I'm not sure he's been the most impactful. The reason I say that is we've seen how this team has been so up and down based on how much of an impact CP3 has been able to have. If he can be himself, we're good to.great but when he's struggling, we struggle.

I love what Ayton has done this series. He's been a huge part of our success and wasn't the reason we lost when we did. I've even changed my stance on extending him this offseason. I'm not in favor of maxing him out right away but if that's what it takes, and it likely will, then so be it. Despite all that I'm not ready to profess he's been the MVP of this series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd definitely say he was the most consistent but I'm not sure he's been the most impactful. The reason I say that is we've seen how this team has been so up and down based on how much of an impact CP3 has been able to have. If he can be himself, we're good to.great but when he's struggling, we struggle.

I love what Ayton has done this series. He's been a huge part of our success and wasn't the reason we lost when we did. I've even changed my stance on extending him this offseason. I'm not in favor of maxing him out right away but if that's what it takes, and it likely will, then so be it. Despite all that I'm not ready to profess he's been the MVP of this series.
Then I think you’re missing his impact. Our offense hasn’t been good this series until last night. But our defense has kept us in almost every game (except 1). The primary reason for that has been Ayton. He’s lead our defensive effort every game. Take him away and we get swept. That’s impact.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then I think you’re missing his impact. Our offense hasn’t been good this series until last night. But our defense has kept us in almost every game (except 1). The primary reason for that has been Ayton. He’s lead our defensive effort every game. Take him away and we get swept. That’s impact.
yup

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has been balling and doing so consistently. Booker has balled but not every game. same with Paul. Ayton has been the rock. Lets get this win thursday and be done with LA.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To all the folks crying and wanting to trade Ayton.

See... just relax and let it happen.

He's gonna be even better next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He’s definitely brought it this playoffs. But every time he has a stretch of good games some one comes on here to say I told you so. Then he inevitably recedes to underwhelming play. I’m excited for what he’s done in the playoffs. I’m reserving my notion that he’s finally arrived at consistency.

and despite my criticism, I’ve never been one to clamor for a trade.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Nobody with a modicum of NBA knowledge and intelligence thought for one second he was tradeable. Naturally, it was a majority opinion of Suns fans over the last year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Nobody with a modicum of NBA knowledge and intelligence thought for one second he was tradeable. Naturally, it was a majority opinion of Suns fans over the last year.

You remind me of a guy I knew in college. When he expressed his opinion, he'd begin by saying "Any intelligent human being thinks such-and-such." He did it so consistently and narrow-mindedly that, after a couple of months, we ignored his name and started referring to him as "Any Intelligent Human Being." It stuck for all four years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He’s definitely brought it this playoffs. But every time he has a stretch of good games some one comes on here to say I told you so. Then he inevitably recedes to underwhelming play. I’m excited for what he’s done in the playoffs. I’m reserving my notion that he’s finally arrived at consistency.

and despite my criticism, I’ve never been one to clamor for a trade.
Ayton has been engaged and playing well far more often than not this season. I would say he threw up a stinker 1 out of every 4-5 outings, but you could say that about most of our guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has been engaged and playing well far more often than not this season. I would say he threw up a stinker 1 out of every 4-5 outings, but you could say that about most of our guys.

this is ridiculous. Just in Ayton’s last six games of the season he threw up 4 horrific stinkers of:

8 points and 8 rebounds in a terrible loss to GS

6 points and 6 rebounds in a terrible whooping by a Bronless Lakers

7 points and 8 rebounds in another awful 30 point loss to the Hawks

5 points and 7 boards in a wayyyy too close for comfort win against the Pelicans

the idea that he was going strong in 4 of 5 games all season is revisionist history at its finest.

he had an up and down year all season. Even started getting benched in fourth quarters midway through because Monty couldn’t trust him and needed to send a message.

yes, he’s been GREAT in the playoffs so far, but that’s not the issue here. He’s had great 7-8 game stretches before. And then fallen off a cliff. The question is what happens this time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre has played exceptionally well in 4 of the 5 playoff games though.

In game 5 none of the starters did a lot offensively except Booker with 30 and Bridges with 13 points.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre has played exceptionally well in 4 of the 5 playoff games though.

In game 5 none of the starters did a lot offensively except Booker with 30 and Bridges with 13 points.

I think he played well in Game 5 also. Doesn’t change the fact that he disappeared A LOT during the season.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Even with the Davis injury, we don’t win the series without DA. Kaminsky and Dario have no chance against their frontline. Nor would they vs Denver maybe even Portland. His size, length, and athleticism we literally cannot do without if you look at the others short minutes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even with the Davis injury, we don’t win the series without DA. Kaminsky and Dario have no chance against their frontline. Nor would they vs Denver maybe even Portland. His size, length, and athleticism we literally cannot do without if you look at the others short minutes.

Jokic plays at a slower pace and a lot lower to the ground, i could see Dario or Kam guarding him to give DA rest.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
You remind me of a guy I knew in college. When he expressed his opinion, he'd begin by saying "Any intelligent human being thinks such-and-such." He did it so consistently and narrow-mindedly that, after a couple of months, we ignored his name and started referring to him as "Any Intelligent Human Being." It stuck for all four years.
I guess it's better than, "Any idiot will tell you...".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah. The Suns really only have small ball players upfront beyond Ayton in Jae Crowder, Cam Johnson and Torrey Craig.

Dario Saric has been a disappointment thus far and Frank Kaminsky has been Frank.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hes always been the x-factor to how far this team can go. Probably even more so now with Paul likely limited throughout the rest of the playoffs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
this is ridiculous. Just in Ayton’s last six games of the season he threw up 4 horrific stinkers of:

8 points and 8 rebounds in a terrible loss to GS

6 points and 6 rebounds in a terrible whooping by a Bronless Lakers

7 points and 8 rebounds in another awful 30 point loss to the Hawks

5 points and 7 boards in a wayyyy too close for comfort win against the Pelicans

the idea that he was going strong in 4 of 5 games all season is revisionist history at its finest.

he had an up and down year all season. Even started getting benched in fourth quarters midway through because Monty couldn’t trust him and needed to send a message.

yes, he’s been GREAT in the playoffs so far, but that’s not the issue here. He’s had great 7-8 game stretches before. And then fallen off a cliff. The question is what happens this time.
This. If you look at game logs of Ayton’s 2020-2021 season it’s most assuredly NOT 4 good games and 1 stinker. It’s spates of high production followed by stretches of disappointing play. His season was the very definition of continued inconsistency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree 100%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson