Suns @ Spurs Sunday game thread 5-16-2021 / Season Finale

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Halliburton Smaliburton he's too small to play like he does, and now he's hurt just like Jamal Murry just like Ja will be soon. Not wishing injuries on anyone but that playstyle eats up ACLs on those skinny legged kids. Plus Stix showed me something tonight. Monte and JJ know what they want, and its working. Wouldn't you say?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the big concern about not having a backup PG was at the trade deadline the year before. Watching Payne in the bubble I think most of us thought we had our backup problem solved.

No I think many of us would have assumed he was the PG of the future, backing up Payne for a season or two for grooming. I know I was far more concerned about getting another big man than I was a PG with or without the CP trade.

so everybody here was pissed we didn’t draft a guy who would have been a 3rd strong point guard this year

Right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so everybody here was pissed we didn’t draft a guy who would have been a 3rd strong point guard this year

Right.

It wasn't so much who Halliburton would be this season but who he'd be later on, taking over for CP3.

Even if people here were mad, JJ made the pick. He believed in Cam Payne and was correct. I don't why you're trying to spin this now as posters here being wrong when your initial comment, that people took exception to, was your claims of Payne bailing JJ out. JJ did his job and was proven correct in who he had penciled in as the backup PG this year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It wasn't so much who Halliburton would be this season but who he'd be later on, taking over for CP3.

Even if people here were mad, JJ made the pick. He believed in Cam Payne and was correct. I don't why you're trying to spin this now as posters here being wrong when your initial comment, that people took exception to, was your claims of Payne bailing JJ out. JJ did his job and was proven correct in who he had penciled in as the backup PG this year.

Im not trying to spin anything. This is what happens guys rewrite history as it goes when it turns out good.

If everyone was so happy with Cam Payne then why was everyone so pissed when we didn’t draft Halliburton? Don’t even for a second try and say he would of been drafted to be a 3rd string PG on this team cause that’s pure BS.

Payne has played better than anyone thought and that’s awesome and if some team wants to pay him this offseason he needs to take the money he’s earned it.

are you going to sit here and tell me James Jones thought Cam Payne would have the year he had? Of course not because if he did he would of locked him up. That’s all you need to know right there.

sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good and we got lucky with Cam Payne, but if your going to sit here and tell me at the start of the season we were going to have the season we had and Payne would be a top 5 6th man in the NBA your full of it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Im not trying to spin anything. This is what happens guys rewrite history as it goes when it turns out good.

If everyone was so happy with Cam Payne then why was everyone so pissed when we didn’t draft Halliburton? Don’t even for a second try and say he would of been drafted to be a 3rd string PG on this team cause that’s pure BS.

Payne has played better than anyone thought and that’s awesome and if some team wants to pay him this offseason he needs to take the money he’s earned it.

are you going to sit here and tell me James Jones thought Cam Payne would have the year he had? Of course not because if he did he would of locked him up. That’s all you need to know right there.

sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good and we got lucky with Cam Payne, but if your going to sit here and tell me at the start of the season we were going to have the season we had and Payne would be a top 5 6th man in the NBA your full of it.
Because they saw Haliburton as the best prospect on the board. A lot of people around here were completely fine with Payne as the backup PG.

The idea was that by drafting Haliburton we would have been set at both starter and backup for the future.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payne couldn't be locked up beyond this season. He signed a 2 year deal with the second year not guaranteed. If we would have waived him, that's it. He couldn't be extended either because of the deal he signed. So JJ did what he could, let the season play out.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There’s no justifying passing on Halliburton. Most of us thought it was as bad in the moment as it was in hindsight. Besides they can both play together anyways. But at this point Payne is a solid backup PG so there’s no point complaining about it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they had drafted Halliburton everybody would have assumed he would have been the back up not Payne.

Nobody knew Haliburton would be as good as is. I would have guessed he would have been the third point guard behind Payne and insurance if he didn't play up to his performance in the bubble.

Payne's performance was superb in Orlando but he only played in 8 games. It was not a big enough sample to reliably predict how well he would play this season.

The reason many fans thought the Suns should draft Haliburton is because he was the BPA and a player to be developed for the future. Afterall, he was the 10th pick so immediate success was not assured.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA