Suns @ Spurs Sunday game thread 5-16-2021 / Season Finale

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can watch it here. Play is at about the 9:03 mark of the video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I missed who blocked the shot in live action so I went back to the ESPN play-by-play to check it out because it was a crucial play. They still show it as Jalen Smith.

Clearly Craig blocked the shot as seen in the video but the play-by-play shows otherwise.

Good play by Craig to block the shot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How has Cameron Johnson gotten so good? That guy seems to get away from his defender easily. Like the Spurs announcers said. He is really slippery.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson or Payne?

I'm sure he meant Payne, or at least that's who the Spurs announcers were talking about when they called him slippery. If the other guys are talking about him like that, we may have a hard time keeping him here if we don't give him a hefty contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm sure he meant Payne, or at least that's who the Spurs announcers were talking about when they called him slippery. If the other guys are talking about him like that, we may have a hard time keeping him here if we don't give him a hefty contract.
I think we are lucky that he got hot at the end of the season. His overall season numbers look okay for a backup which might help us with his ultimate numbers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are lucky that he got hot at the end of the season. His overall season numbers look okay for a backup which might help us with his ultimate numbers.

I think he mostly got healthy and in shape at the end of the season. Between Covid layoffs and whatever his foot and ankle injuries were it seemed he was always just coming back from something or other. He finished the season looking like the Payne we saw in the bubble. Now I'd really like our postseason chances if bubble Saric could also find his way to the court, even if it raised their financial expectations.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course a huge offer from another team would be hard to turn down but if the offers are close I think Cam Payne chooses Phoenix. He seems to appreciate the opportunity the Suns have given him. They gave him a chance when his career seemed destined for the G-League or overseas. The Suns may have to use part of the MLE to do it though.

If Jalen Smith can turn into a solid power forward this may help the Suns financially rather than having to use the money on this position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course a huge offer from another team would be hard to turn down but if the offers are close I think Cam Payne chooses Phoenix. He seems to appreciate the opportunity the Suns have given him. They gave him a chance when his career seemed destined for the G-League or overseas. The Suns may have to use part of the MLE to do it though.

If Jalen Smith can turn into a solid power forward this may help the Suns financially rather than having to use the money on this position.
If it’s more money no way Payne gives suns a discount. This isn’t a kid that’s had big contracts.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s more money no way Payne gives suns a discount. This isn’t a kid that’s had big contracts.

I was talking about if the offers are close.

"Of course a huge offer from another team would be hard to turn down but if the offers are close I think Cam Payne chooses Phoenix."

I don't expect a player that hasn't received a large pay day to turn down a much larger contract.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was talking about if the offers are close.

"Of course a huge offer from another team would be hard to turn down but if the offers are close I think Cam Payne chooses Phoenix."

I don't expect a player that hasn't received a large pay day to turn down a much larger contract.
Even if they’re close I don’t think he gives a discount. Particularly not if it’s a starting spot. He’s got to look out for himself.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And I wouldn’t be mad at him. He deserves a payday. hes bailed out JJ not getting a back up PG
Huh? He is the backup point guard. If anything JJ should get credit for picking up Payne who has turned into our backup PG.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? He is the backup point guard. If anything JJ should get credit for picking up Payne who has turned into our backup PG.

Yes I understand that but let’s not act like everybody was happy with this choice to start the season because that’s not how it happened.

Payne has bailed out JJ and exceeded everyone’s expectations and good for him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yes I understand that but let’s not act like everybody was happy with this choice to start the season because that’s not how it happened.

Exceeded your expectations, but that doesn't mean JJ wasn't expecting him to be the answer at backup PG.

He ultimately made the decision to bring him in and to roll with him as our primary backup and he should get credit for that.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think almost everyone was fine with Cam Payne as the backup point guard but most fans wanted insurance if Payne faltered. When the passed on Haliburton I was shocked because I thought he was that insurance.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exceeded your expectations, but that doesn't mean JJ wasn't expecting him to be the answer at backup PG.

He ultimately made the decision to bring him in and to roll with him as our primary backup and he should get credit for that.

not only that, but he brought back Carter and brought on Etwan Moore who played solid enough while Cam Payne was out and shaky for a bit.

even though I wanted Halliburton for long term PG needs, saying JJ didn’t take care of back up PG doesn’t make much sense to me with Payne, Carter and Moore on the bench.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cam Payne mows Montes lawn every two weeks. He aint goin anywhere. It was Montes loyalty that brought him back.

I wouldn't put it past Monte to say go on young buck get yer money and give his blessing.

But Cam has drunk that yummy Phoenix coolaid he's onboard and bucking for a possible promotion when CP3 leaves, if he improves his game.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think almost everyone was fine with Cam Payne as the backup point guard but most fans wanted insurance if Payne faltered. When the passed on Haliburton I was shocked because I thought he was that insurance.

if they had drafted Halliburton everybody would have assumed he would have been the back up not Payne.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the big concern about not having a backup PG was at the trade deadline the year before. Watching Payne in the bubble I think most of us thought we had our backup problem solved.

if they had drafted Halliburton everybody would have assumed he would have been the back up not Payne.

No I think many of us would have assumed he was the PG of the future, backing up Payne for a season or two for grooming. I know I was far more concerned about getting another big man than I was a PG with or without the CP trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So? They didn't draft him. Payne is the back-up PG and has done a great job as that virtually all season. I don't see how JJ believing he could fill that role deserves second guessing or backhanded compliments.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose