15 thoughts - draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rookie minicamp is here, the undrafted rookie class has been announced and now it is time to evaluate a little on the draft.

1 – I have never understood why many argue that you can’t judge a draft until three years down the road. Why? It is not like I am talking about how the players have done on the field in the NFL. It is just about evaluating how a team did according to your thoughts about the players before the draft.

2 – The best Cards-defense I have seen since I jumped on the fan-wagon in 2008 was the one with Karlos Dansby and Daryl Washington together. Can Simmons and Collins mimic that?

3 – I don’t mind that they did not take a runningback. Yes, I did expect that they would, but I like Chase Edmonds and I think Jonathan Ward had a really good training camp last year.

4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: Victor Dimukeje majored at Duke in evolutionary anthropology. Anyone even know what that is?)

5 – Rondale Moore is not your typical undersized speedster. He is like a tank with a turbo engine. If he pans out, defenders will have a really hard time stopping him. I am much, much, much higher on this pick than I ever was on Andy Isabella.

6 – I know almost nothing about Michal Manet, but I want them to draft at least one offensive lineman every year, so I am fine with the pick.

7 – Not really an inspiring undrafted free agency class, but I did study Cary Angeline, the tight end out of NC State, before the draft. The tight end-position is not important in the Cards’ offense, but as a big receiver, Angeline might have a shot.

P.S. By the way, look out for the runningback tryout-player Michael Warren. I studied him before the draft last year, and thus he is in his second year after spending time with the Eagles, Panthers and Washington last year. I am telling you. Maybe he will be gone after his tryout, but he is on a level where he at least has a chance.

8 – What a wonderful trade with the Ravens. It was basically giving them a fifth-round pick for their sixth-round pick, and then a simple swap of fourth-round picks.

9 – Anyone else also think that Collins were trolling Kyle Shanahan in his draft call after Shanahan´s “I can’t promise we are alive on Monday”-comment? #WeAreGoingToKillThemAll

10 – Maybe Bernhard Seikovits will never become a contributor, but to me he at least gives training camp another interesting aspect – more than most undrafted rookies does. Also, think about that his name is pronounced Psychovits. I would want a guy like that on the field.

11 – I am very excited about day three. This is where you take fliers on high upside guys and both Marco Wilson, Tay Gowan and James Wiggins are extreme athletes who, with the right mindset and coaching, could develop into legit contributors. And athletes like that can often be good special teamers.

12 – It seems risky to me to go into next season with only the current cornerbacks in the squad. I would prefer another veteran.

13 – I don’t know a lot about Dimukeje, so this is only a hunch, but I just think he will beat out Kyle Fitts and have a role in the rotation.

14 – I find it a little funny how both Keim and Kingsbury, in the press conference, made it absolutely clear that Collins would play middle linebacker. No experimental position-switching Reddick-style and Hicks is out.

15 – On to Derek Stingley.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
“4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: V4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: Victor Dimukeje majored at Duke in evolutionary anthropology. Anyone even know what that is?)

^^:lmao:
Does it have anything to do with football? If it doesn’t, then who cares?:mrgreen:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
“4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: V4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: Victor Dimukeje majored at Duke in evolutionary anthropology. Anyone even know what that is?)

Does it have anything to do with football? If it doesn’t, then who cares?:mrgreen:
Of course I do. But if I told you, I'd have to kill you. :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gandhi Man, in no order.
1. The two to three years USED to make sense as it was rare for rookies to play very much. At least not until after Thanksgiving. But, you're correct since that's no longer true except for the Cardinals. :)
2. Trade with Baltimore was a good one because of how it was constituted. And it will be considered a VG one if Wilson makes the 53.
3. Certainly agree about CB's. And expecting Alford to remain healthy, and Wilson and Gowan to make the team, is like needing three cards to fill an inside straight. It can happen, but never to me.

Thanks, for your '15'.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
1. The two to three years USED to make sense as it was rare for rookies to play very much. At least not until after Thanksgiving. But, you're correct since that's no longer true except for the Cardinals. :)
Even if they do play year 1 than it would still be wise to at least wait until after year 1 to make a meaningful grade.

Any sort of grade that someone tries to make solely off the value of the pick is flawed by the fact that you likely don't have all the info about all of these prospects that the NFL teams have.

There is a reason that every single year many players are picked much lower and higher than anticipated pre draft and that is simply because the NFL teams are seeing more than the rest of us.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Evolutionary anthropology, the interdisciplinary study of the evolution of human physiology and human behaviour and of the relation between hominids and non-hominid primates, builds on natural science and on social science.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
5 – Rondale Moore is not your typical undersized speedster. He is like a tank with a turbo engine. If he pans out, defenders will have a really hard time stopping him. I am much, much, much higher on this pick than I ever was on Andy Isabella.

was thinking about Moore vs Isabella and its almost laughable they both went 2nd round. not sure why I ever thought Invisibella would be good

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
was thinking about Moore vs Isabella and its almost laughable they both went 2nd round. not sure why I ever thought Invisibella would be good
I would agree with this. I am obviously not an NFL scout, but the difference between Moore and Isabella as prospects seems pretty large.

I will always remember Mayock commenting about Isabella's release off the LOS at the senior bowl (I think it was Mayock). He said that Isabella had to use too many moves to try and get separation and it would take too long at the NFL. I then watched it and saw exactly what he was talking about. It was like watching ball hog basketball players over dribble outside the three point line. A lot of show but no go.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Evolutionary anthropology, the interdisciplinary study of the evolution of human physiology and human behaviour and of the relation between hominids and non-hominid primates, builds on natural science and on social science.

Ah, now I understand, clear as mud. :confused:

Reaction score

I was going to say human evolution but this is way more accurate. Study of primates.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know why Moore was drafted in the 2nd round. He's a local kid to me & I've followed his whole career. If he stays healthy he will do wonders for us? I remember the game Isabella went off for over 200 receiving yards against Georgia because I watched that game. They couldn't cover him & they had a damn good defense. Totally forgot about him though until we drafted him. Imo, he will either be cut or put on the PS unless he improves which I highly doubt he does.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know why Moore was drafted in the 2nd round. He's a local kid to me & I've followed his whole career. If he stays healthy he will do wonders for us? I remember the game Isabella went off for over 200 receiving yards against Georgia because I watched that game. They couldn't cover him & they had a damn good defense. Totally forgot about him though until we drafted him. Imo, he will either be cut or put on the PS unless he improves which I highly doubt he does.
I was at that game and I really thought UGA just didn't care. It was a cupcake and UGA was up 3 scores before Andy started going off. I still hold onto hope that Andy improves, as foolish as that may be.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was at that game and I really thought UGA just didn't care. It was a cupcake and UGA was up 3 scores before Andy started going off. I still hold onto hope that Andy improves, as foolish as that may be.
Yes, power 5 schools play to the level of competition for sure but 200 yards is 200 yards. You'd think the DC would be pissed even up 3 scores letting one man burn them over & over lol?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score

It’s like the text book study for Scientific procedure.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If I were built like an offensive lineman and had to deal with that, the good and the bad, growing up, I would be interested in it also.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I know you are joking, Gimpy, but honestly, I do actually care about off-field-things like that. :) I like to root for players that I sympathize with, for whatever reason. In fact, I am not nearly as negative to Keim because of his team building-abilities as I am because he got a DUI.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Thank you, GC! It seems like something I would not have majored in. :D

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi Man, in no order.

I absolutely agree, Garth, but I think you still hear the “you can’t judge a draft class right after the draft.” Okay, I think you are right that three years might be an exaggeration, but the idea that, for example, this post comes too soon, I do think that narrative is out there, and I don't agree with that.

Reaction score
Rookie minicamp is here, the undrafted rookie class has been announced and now it is time to evaluate a little on the draft.

1 – I have never understood why many argue that you can’t judge a draft until three years down the road. Why? It is not like I am talking about how the players have done on the field in the NFL. It is just about evaluating how a team did according to your thoughts about the players before the draft.
It's not so much that a draft can't be evaluated and graded soon after its occurrence, as that the grade will rarely be the same as one given three years hence. Both; grading immediate and three years hence; have their own value and meaning.
2 – The best Cards-defense I have seen since I jumped on the fan-wagon in 2008 was the one with Karlos Dansby and Daryl Washington together. Can Simmons and Collins mimic that?
We can only hope so! And that it also lasts for a longer period.:stick: (I'm still dismayed over Daryl Washington's selfishness!)
4 – I think the theme continued from what I wrote about Collins after day one, in that they all the way through selected smart players, probably with the hope that they can learn the playbook fast and thus contribute fast (case in point: Victor Dimukeje majored at Duke in evolutionary anthropology. Anyone even know what that is?)
Taken from an article at azcardinals.com: {Dimukeje is interested in physical therapy and went to Duke thinking he'd attend medical school, which is still among his long-term goals.
Right now, "I'm just focused on football, playing as long as possible," he (Dimukeje) said.}

If for no other reason than my own sanity, I also believe Moore is nothing like Isabella! Yes, they are both short, fast, wide receivers; and the comparison ends there.
6 – I know almost nothing about Michal Manet, but I want them to draft at least one offensive lineman every year, so I am fine with the pick.
Michal Menet was a three year starter/two year team captain at Penn State. Technically sound, with decent mass and strength. But he has shorter than ideal arms and sluggish feet. So think of a larger version of A. Q. Shipley. Adequate, not great!
8 – What a wonderful trade with the Ravens. It was basically giving them a fifth-round pick for their sixth-round pick, and then a simple swap of fourth-round picks.
Here's to hoping Marco Wilson is the steal of the draft!

:cheers:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
3 – I don’t mind that they did not take a runningback. Yes, I did expect that they would, but I like Chase Edmonds and I think Jonathan Ward had a really good training camp last year.

10 – Maybe Bernhard Seikovits will never become a contributor, but to me he at least gives training camp another interesting aspect – more than most undrafted rookies does. Also, think about that his name is pronounced Psychovits. I would want a guy like that on the field.

Good stuff as always, Gandhi, and well thought out. My thoughts:

#3: Unfortunately, not getting a day-one contributor RB (a late-round nobody likely wouldn't have been a difference maker) at RB is going to haunt us. I don't think we have enough when the RB room is healthy, let alone when the inevitable injury woes occur. I know, this is a shocking opinion on my part :D

#5: He's a tiny tank that throws track all the time, meaning he can't depend on his wheels. Even IF he's got the size to succeed in the NFL--and he might not--he has huge durability issues. Not a good combo, for me. It sounds great to hear sound bites like, "How tall is fast?" How about, "How fast is injured?" or "How fast is 260lb linebacker laying you out?" Can't fault the kid for his attitude. I just hope his play backs it up. I have doubts.

#6: Ditto! Also, I'll take an underrated PSU center any day of the week :)

#10: I'm rooting so hard for this kid. I mean, we are desperate for any kind of warm body at TE, granted, due to mishandling the position thus far, but I would have been behind this kid no matter what. What a great story, and how much better will it be if he makes the team?