Positional Battles

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to select three positional battles (any three) and pick who and why you think your guy will win it. My three:

1. Backup QB, McCoy vs. Streveler-I'm going with McCoy, just based on experience. I feel that Streveler has a higher upside, but having seen him in one game, last year, I think McCoy is the safer choice. I'm hoping for at least two PS games and they will probably decide the winner. And even if it is McCoy CS still has a shot at an NFL career.

2. CB2, Alford vs. TBD-My guess is that TBD is not yet on the roster. The law of averages says that Alford is due an injury free year, or at least that's my hope. I'm going with Alford, and since I've never even seen him on the field, my choice is based upon the team signing him in the first place. They must have seen something, so that is what I'm placing my hope on.

3. RG. Murray vs. Winters vs. Jones. I think that Jones loses out because they think he's too valuable, being able to backup at both tackle spots. So that leaves us with Murray and Winters. The argument for Winters is that he started nine games for a pretty good Buffalo team, last year, and has a chemistry with Beachum when both played for the Jets. And, for me the winner is Murray. I've overlooked him for the past two years, but it seems that the OL became better when he was inserted into the lineup. And I hope that will only improve playing next to a Pro Bowl center.

What is everyone else looking at?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cole mcdonald is probably the back up qb with more upside compare the other two whom have very little to offer

Alford, I can't count on him, 33years old who didn't play a snap in two year, I hope one between Wilson and Gowan can be a pleasant surprise

Justine Murray is a good back up but a below average starter so I hope Jones get the edge in that positional battle

The tigh end position is dramatic thin, Williams is also injury prone

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Collins vs Hicks will probably be the most highly publicized and most frustrating positional battle

Kirk vs Moore has an opportunity to heat up. Its not a glaring problem for the team if there's no battle but if there is any debate at all then this team has greatly improved in the WR room. (hopefully replacing Invisibella with a competent NFL WR)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I see battles at RG, TE, 3rd WR, 3rd RB on offense.

On defense, back up #2 at OLB, 2nd-5th CB and 3-however many safeties they keep.

RG is a three way battle between Murray, Winters, and Josh Jones. I wouldn't say there is a clear favorite, but I know I want Jones to take that spot because he moves better than Murray and Winters.

3rd WR is purely academic since I think the Cardinals will play both Moore and Kirk in the slot, but Kirk will also move outside at times. I wonder if part of the plan is to occasionally line Green up in the slot like Fitz has been used as well? Either way I'm excited to see Moore on bubble screens, as he should make that play a lot more effective and it's a staple of Kingsbury's offense. Kirk and Moore on mesh plays could be lethal as well.

It was quite telling that we saw Ward get some PT over Eno. Ward should be the favorite for the 3rd RB job and he has a nice blend of size and speed. Not much else on the roster other than Eno who is very much on the bubble. I'd expect the Cardinals will raid an end of the roster guy from a team like the Niners to compete for the 3rd and 4th job.

CB Mainstays are obviously going to be Butler CB1 and Murphy Slot. I won't be shocked if we see a situation where Alford gets hurt, none of the young guys win the outside corner job and we see Murphy as CB2 and Whittaker in the slot.

The Cardinals top three outside LBs will obviously be Jones, Golden, and Gardeck, but after that I think the jobs are wide open. Dikmuje (spelling?!?!) has a legitimate shot at beating out Fitts and Kennard could be a camp cut if the Cardinals decide to bring in a vet corner.

Safety has a lot of bodies and special teams players. I think Wiggins will get a long look to see if he can play better than the others in sub packages. When Baker and Jalen went down, the safety play cost the Cardinals big time, and I think Wiggins was an attempt to address that situation.

I think Collins is basically going to be handed the ILB job and I welcome that. Hicks was awful last year! I'd rather have a young guy with loads of potential make mistakes on the field than watch a guy who has lost a step, lose ball games.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to select three positional battles (any three) and pick who and why you think your guy will win it. My three:

1. Backup QB, McCoy vs. Streveler-I'm going with McCoy, just based on experience. I feel that Streveler has a higher upside, but having seen him in one game, last year, I think McCoy is the safer choice. I'm hoping for at least two PS games and they will probably decide the winner. And even if it is McCoy CS still has a shot at an NFL career.

2. CB2, Alford vs. TBD-My guess is that TBD is not yet on the roster. The law of averages says that Alford is due an injury free year, or at least that's my hope. I'm going with Alford, and since I've never even seen him on the field, my choice is based upon the team signing him in the first place. They must have seen something, so that is what I'm placing my hope on.

3. RG. Murray vs. Winters vs. Jones. I think that Jones loses out because they think he's too valuable, being able to backup at both tackle spots. So that leaves us with Murray and Winters. The argument for Winters is that he started nine games for a pretty good Buffalo team, last year, and has a chemistry with Beachum when both played for the Jets. And, for me the winner is Murray. I've overlooked him for the past two years, but it seems that the OL became better when he was inserted into the lineup. And I hope that will only improve playing next to a Pro Bowl center.

What is everyone else looking at?

I'm not sure there's much stock in Winters and Beechum having chemistry. Wasn't Beechum LT for the Jets and Winters RG?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I see battles at RG, TE, 3rd WR, 3rd RB on offense.

On defense, back up #2 at OLB, 2nd-5th CB and 3-however many safeties they keep.

RG is a three way battle between Murray, Winters, and Josh Jones. I wouldn't say there is a clear favorite, but I know I want Jones to take that spot because he moves better than Murray and Winters.

3rd WR is purely academic since I think the Cardinals will play both Moore and Kirk in the slot, but Kirk will also move outside at times. I wonder if part of the plan is to occasionally line Green up in the slot like Fitz has been used as well? Either way I'm excited to see Moore on bubble screens, as he should make that play a lot more effective and it's a staple of Kingsbury's offense. Kirk and Moore on mesh plays could be lethal as well.

It was quite telling that we saw Ward get some PT over Eno. Ward should be the favorite for the 3rd RB job and he has a nice blend of size and speed. Not much else on the roster other than Eno who is very much on the bubble. I'd expect the Cardinals will raid an end of the roster guy from a team like the Niners to compete for the 3rd and 4th job.

CB Mainstays are obviously going to be Butler CB1 and Murphy Slot. I won't be shocked if we see a situation where Alford gets hurt, none of the young guys win the outside corner job and we see Murphy as CB2 and Whittaker in the slot.

The Cardinals top three outside LBs will obviously be Jones, Golden, and Gardeck, but after that I think the jobs are wide open. Dikmuje (spelling?!?!) has a legitimate shot at beating out Fitts and Kennard could be a camp cut if the Cardinals decide to bring in a vet corner.

Safety has a lot of bodies and special teams players. I think Wiggins will get a long look to see if he can play better than the others in sub packages. When Baker and Jalen went down, the safety play cost the Cardinals big time, and I think Wiggins was an attempt to address that situation.

I think Collins is basically going to be handed the ILB job and I welcome that. Hicks was awful last year! I'd rather have a young guy with loads of potential make mistakes on the field than watch a guy who has lost a step, lose ball games.
On exactly the same page.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cole mcdonald is probably the back up qb with more upside compare the other two whom have very little to offer

Alford, I can't count on him, 33years old who didn't play a snap in two year, I hope one between Wilson and Gowan can be a pleasant surprise

Justine Murray is a good back up but a below average starter so I hope Jones get the edge in that positional battle

The tigh end position is dramatic thin, Williams is also injury prone
Justine:p:p

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's much stock in Winters and Beechum having chemistry. Wasn't Beechum LT for the Jets and Winters RG?
Brit, you might be right, but I have a good friend who is a long time Jets fan, and he told me that Beachum was mostly a RT.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Collins vs Hicks will probably be the most highly publicized and most frustrating positional battle

Kirk vs Moore has an opportunity to heat up. Its not a glaring problem for the team if there's no battle but if there is any debate at all then this team has greatly improved in the WR room. (hopefully replacing Invisibella with a competent NFL WR)

well not even a full week and my prediction was a steaming pile of poo. Keim has other plans, which I am OK with. Seems like a Keim power play to avoid letting Vance botch the rollout of the 1st round LB (AGAIN).

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
well not even a full week and my prediction was a steaming pile of poo. Keim has other plans, which I am OK with. Seems like a Keim power play to avoid letting Vance botch the rollout of the 1st round LB (AGAIN).

How about.... Vance reviewed the season prior to FA and the draft and pointed out that HICKS was a weak link?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen Isabella and Steve-O together at the same time? Didn’t think so.

Been saying it since we drafted him when he has his hair short he IS Steve O

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
id like to see Josh Jones challenge for RT

3rd round choice but seemingly first round talent --- if he can legit win the job, it sets up the Cards o-line for the next three years

I am pretty sure that is not happening. If jones plays it will be at guard.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's the DC's job, with his positional coaches, to do a post-mortem and grade the individual effort.

This report goes to the H-C and GM before the FA period.

Agreed and further proof is hicks had to take a pay cut

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kirk is going to get 1000 yards and we will have endless debates in the off-season about whether or not he is a contract player.

Someone will argue that he was most successful in the role he should have been drafted to play , and the rest will say he is a one year wonder. Reddick debate all over again.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kirk is going to get 1000 yards and we will have endless debates in the off-season about whether or not he is a contract player.

Someone will argue that he was most successful in the role he should have been drafted to play , and the rest will say he is a one year wonder. Reddick debate all over again.
Eh if Kirk eclipses 1,000 yards I’m fully open to resigning him. Is he great? Nope. Has been a total bust? Nope. Can he step forward? Sure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eh if Kirk eclipses 1,000 yards I’m fully open to resigning him. Is he great? Nope. Has been a total bust? Nope. Can he step forward? Sure.
He is going to want at least 13 mil per year. Corey Davis has never had a 1000 yard season and just got 12.5 mil per year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose