Suns @ Hawks Wednesday game thread 5-5-2021

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's upsetting the way they are playing tonight. But it's not when you consider that we never thought they would be in this position

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to get Stix in the game and the rest of the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty must be resting Saric tonight. I haven't heard anything else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why in the world are the Suns playing Saric now? They could have used him earlier.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe rest paul some before poffs now? Dont run him down

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well knicks gm won't be easy eaither hope knicks gm lot better than this forgot how bad it is seeing suns getting blown out :(

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have only scored 4 points in the 4th quarter with 3:31 left and no baskets.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Looks like I picked a good game to miss. To be fair, out of the remains of their schedule, this one was on my list as probably the most likely L, so I'm not too upset about it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Galloway finally gets a 3-pointer for Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was really pathetic. Not even competitive in the 4th.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final:

Hawks 135 - Suns 103

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A blow out loss hurts but its still just a loss. At least the starters get a little rest. Can't win them all and at least they lost to a surging team that is pretty good. Also its not a western conference team that is beating us, which makes it easier to accept.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Long-time Suns fans: Would you put the 2020-21 Suns in the franchise's top 10 all time incarnations? I don't think I would. This team just isn't that good. I'm excited about the regular season record, but if they're competitive in the second round of the playoffs, I'll be surprised. (I do think they'll get there, at least.)

Yeah yeah, only one game. But look carefully at the roster and compare them to the great Suns teams of old. Obviously Paul and Booker are a great start, and then Bridges and Ayton on their good days. After that, it drops off pretty fast. Are the #5-#9 guys on this roster as good as those of the late 80's Suns, or of the Nash era? Not even close.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still puzzled why the Suns bothered to play Saric when they could have used him earlier against the Hawks size.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After two close games against the Thunder and Cavaliers the Suns were looking for a place to crash and they found it in Atlanta.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well bong hit for self pitty crappy loss and fingers crossed on knicks

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long-time Suns fans: Would you put the 2020-21 Suns in the franchise's top 10 all time incarnations? I don't think I would. This team just isn't that good. I'm excited about the regular season record, but if they're competitive in the second round of the playoffs, I'll be surprised. (I do think they'll get there, at least.)

Yeah yeah, only one game. But look carefully at the roster and compare them to the great Suns teams of old. Obviously Paul and Booker are a great start, and then Bridges and Ayton on their good days. After that, it drops off pretty fast. Are the #5-#9 guys on this roster as good as those of the late 80's Suns, or of the Nash era? Not even close.

I would put this team on par with the late 90's teams with Kidd. Probably most comparable to the year we got McDyess. That team had a ton of potential but it had holes that needed to be filled also. Unfortunately those holes got bigger rather than smaller so it fell apart. I don't want to see that happen here and don't think it will.

Its nowhere near the Nash playoff teams though. Everyone around Book and Paul are too inconsistent. If Bridges and Cam could be counted on to put up 30 a night between them while Ayton played at least 75% of games with energy then it might be even but that doesn't happen regularly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oh, they don’t compare to the 1989-1995 teams or the Nash 2004-2010 teams. But after wandering in the desert for a decade, they’re so refreshing that I can’t help but love them.

that said, I’ve never been “crushed” by a single loss this season. That might just be because of lower expectations, but I think part of it is I know we’re kinda playing with hoise money this year. I don’t expect this team to win a title. I expected multiple versions of the other Suns teams to win a title and would live and die by games a lot more.

or I just grew up and stopped taking sports so seriously.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think this team is closer to the Kidd era teams which is better than the Dragan Bender era.

This team could get lucky and make it deep in the playoffs like the 2010 team, which probably wasn't one of the franchise's best teams either. That was a deep team that got hot at the end of the season.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Honestly, these kind of buttkicking losses aren't the worst thing for a young upstart team having the kind of general success the Suns have had this year. It's a reality check for their egos and hopefully helps to stave off any overconfidence going into the playoffs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only go to get tougher. As I mentioned on another thread they have 6 games to play in less than 2 weeks so they will be going into the playoffs after a rough stretch against 6 teams all playing for playoff positioning so they aren't going to be any gimme games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jebus you can’t breathe on Trae. There were a lot of bad calls against us. Refs deflated our intensity.

what’s with the rotations and substitution patterns again? It’s like Monty time traveled back to the beginning of the season.