Draft Grade

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pats saved us by going Mac. If Mac got drafted earlier, they would’ve went Zaven from what I read, & then Keim would’ve completed his jackassery by drafting a RB.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What jackassery did he do in this draft? Please explain.

He is saying that we got saved by the Pats because if the Pats drafted Collins instead of us, we would have drafted a running back, ruining the draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cards had a deal to trade with the Saints if the Pats hadn't taken Mac Jones

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I knew any oops were erased the minute he was selected by the pats. Wonder what the deal would’ve looked like.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I knew any oops were erased the minute he was selected by the pats. Wonder what the deal would’ve looked like.

Gambo did say that with Collins gone, Harris was the next guy up, but only after a trade down

Reaction score
He is saying that we got saved by the Pats because if the Pats drafted Collins instead of us, we would have drafted a running back, ruining the draft.

So he's guessing that Keim would be a jackass but he doesn't know & if he did pick a RB he's guessing again that it would be a failure but doesn't know for sure? Does that about cover it?

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True but then you’re essentially hoping that keim can continually luck into these 3-4 year players. Remember, we wouldn’t have had a new center had the raiders not inexplicably decided to get rid of Hudson. I mean, it’s not something for which keim can effectively plan.
He can't plan for it, you're right, however that's the one good thing he does do, make trades. I was just saying getting a good vet for 3-4 years is better than risking a pick that doesn't pan out in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I know it will cost a little more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He can't plan for it, you're right, however that's the one good thing he does do, make trades. I was just saying getting a good vet for 3-4 years is better than risking a pick that doesn't pan out in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I know it will cost a little more.
Or a lot more. The expense is why you can’t build solely through trades, no matter how good you are at them - and keim has proven to be amongst the best in that department.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Or a lot more. The expense is why you can’t build solely through trades, no matter how good you are at them - and keim has proven to be amongst the best in that department.
I didn't mean solely through trades, that would be expensive. One or two a year while trading a pick or two for some proven vets with 3-4 good years left. That is a whole lot less riskier than drafting & missing like Keim does a whole lot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I didn't mean solely through trades, that would be expensive. One or two a year while trading a pick or two for some proven vets with 3-4 good years left. That is a whole lot less riskier than drafting & missing like Keim does a whole lot.
Agreed, but again if that’s your “plan” it’s no plan at all bc you have no idea who comes available at what position. Trades are solely about being opportunistic. They’re a last resort when a gm fails on option #1 - drafting well and option #2 - signing good free agents to reasonable deals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he's guessing that Keim would be a jackass but he doesn't know & if he did pick a RB he's guessing again that it would be a failure but doesn't know for sure? Does that about cover it?

past pathetic drafting performance leans towards repeat jackassery more likely than not.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair, you don't have to guess most times if Keim would be a jackass when it comes to drafting.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agreed, but again if that’s your “plan” it’s no plan at all bc you have no idea who comes available at what position. Trades are solely about being opportunistic. They’re a last resort when a gm fails on option #1 - drafting well and option #2 - signing good free agents to reasonable deals.
It's a plan that could work if Keim continues to make good trades? Not saying get 4-5 players each season that way but 2-3 would work out if you're only dealing away your 4-5 round picks? 3rd in some cases if you're getting a stud vet for that 3rd? It's not ideal I get it but with Keim making good trades & not drafting well it's a way to build a roster at the very least. Let's see how this season goes cause this is exactly how he built it? Yes, building a roster this way may not work out every time but drafting players isn't an exact science anyway, especially with Keims track record in the draft lol.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I gave a B- in another thread and I stand by that.

drafts are always tricky but the Covid draft was trickier than most..... a B- is a very good grade

for me it’s all about Collins... Moore.... and Menet

the first two to be seeing fifty percent of the snaps by the end of the season and Menet to be ready to take over for Hudson by the 2023 season

I’m excited for what the middle of our defense can be in a season or two

concerned that with olinemen blocking Kyler and six foot defensive backs blocking Moore..... all their connections may have to happen behind the line of scrimmage

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Four ways to grade a draft:

1. Value of each player as projected & based on how they looked on paper.

2. Value of each player based on how he does in ensuing action.

3. How each pick compares to other possible picks value-wise in terms of how they looked on paper.

4. Comparisons based on actual ensuing performances

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with trades is cap implications.
3rd round pick for Hudson eventually adds 10m to your cap.
2nd round pick for Hopkins adds 17m to your cap.
Successful drafts get you the discounted price for 4-5 years allowing you to sign additional needs.
Not putting down the trades but draft well and your team greatly benefits in free agency.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
U must be on a lot of anti depressers :) lol jkin

Yea I feel u I'm hopeful on every class though i know shouldn't get hopes up..... only few work with kiem history
Unfortunately, Keim history is significantly better than Cardinal history. Most on this board cannot wait until Keim is gone. Be careful what you wish for. Even though it’s inevitable, especially if we’re not in the playoffs this season, Cardinal history would indicate we’ll end up with a worse GM not a better one. Oh well, that’s the risk you take.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Keim history is significantly better than Cardinal history. Most on this board cannot wait until Keim is gone. Be careful what you wish for. Even though it’s inevitable, especially if we’re not in the playoffs this season, Cardinal history would indicate we’ll end up with a worse GM not a better one. Oh well, that’s the risk you take.
@DVontel: only one poster had a low bar for success for the cardinals? This is another. If your benchmark is the cardinals you’ll never expect more from the team.

I think it’s ironic that it’s the darksiders that typically possess higher expectations.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the 8 years before Keim took over, the Cardinals went to the playoffs twice, won four playoff games, two division titles, an NFC Championship and were within 34 seconds of winning the Super Bowl.

In the 8 years since Keim took over, the Cardinals have gone to the playoffs 2 times, won 1 game, and won 1 Division title.

So, even with a GM like Graves, who we all thought was terrible, the Cardinals had more post season success, won more division titles and a conference championship, while drafting some of the major impact players who helped buttress Keim’s success in his first three seasons, having drafted Larry, PP, Calais.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
In the 8 years before Keim took over, the Cardinals went to the playoffs twice, won four playoff games, two division titles, an NFC Championship and were within 34 seconds of winning the Super Bowl.

In the 8 years since Keim took over, the Cardinals have gone to the playoffs 2 times, won 1 game, and won 1 Division title.

So, even with a GM like Graves, who we all thought was terrible, the Cardinals had more post season success, won more division titles and a conference championship, while drafting some of the major impact players who helped buttress Keim’s success in his first three seasons, having drafted Larry, PP, Calais.
Truth.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Keim is 65-61, which —on paper— is much better than Graves’ 65-95 record (.406 win percentage).

He was 34-14 in his first three seasons. As he’s shed players from Graves and stocked the team with “his guys” he has gone 31-47 (.397 win percentage).

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose