Greetings from Austria

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First of all I wanted to thank you all! I have been a Cardinals fan for almost 15 years now and this board has always been my primary source of information. Thanks to you guys I learned more about the Cardinals and football in general than anywhere else.

To be honest I was always a bit scared to sign up because of my very average english skills and because I am afraid I can't really contribute football knowledge wise. But as Bernhard Seikovits has become the first Austrian Cardinal today, I thought it would be the perfect day to become the first (?) Austrian user here.

Football in general has become more and more popular over here in the last years. I think that has a lot to do with TV coverage. Now you are able to watch 1-2 games each Sunday and all playoff games in free-TV and with dazn you can watch TNF, NFL Red Zone, SNF and MNF. Unfortunately that resulted in a lot of new Seahawks fans and the 49ers have always been quite popular, even before the football boom. At least nobody seems to care about the Rams ;)

Go Cards!!

Welcome to the board! Put another shrimp on the barbie mate!

J/k :) your english is fine by the way. Looked perfect to me my friend. ;)

Reaction score
Had to google what that means and I am not sure if you just placed me on the wrong continent, no kangaroos in Austria! :D

It was a joke. Yes it placed you on the wrong continent. That was the point of the obviously bad joke. My apologies. I forget some things get lost in translation. Especially if you've never watched Crocodile Dundee. ;)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I was beat to it. Was going to demonstrate how pathetically bad Americans are at geography by saying: "Welcome, I used to live down under for a couple years." But CardCubFan beat me to the joke, and with something even better. At least I hope it was a joke.

Welcome and Nice to have you amongst us. Bare with some of the negativity you will read on hear. Most of us are such long suffering Card fans. That first game and year you watched the Cardinals was a good one. We all loved our team with Larry, Anquan, and Kurt together. Certainly one of our favorites.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First of all I wanted to thank you all! I have been a Cardinals fan for almost 15 years now and this board has always been my primary source of information. Thanks to you guys I learned more about the Cardinals and football in general than anywhere else.

To be honest I was always a bit scared to sign up because of my very average english skills and because I am afraid I can't really contribute football knowledge wise. But as Bernhard Seikovits has become the first Austrian Cardinal today, I thought it would be the perfect day to become the first (?) Austrian user here.

Football in general has become more and more popular over here in the last years. I think that has a lot to do with TV coverage. Now you are able to watch 1-2 games each Sunday and all playoff games in free-TV and with dazn you can watch TNF, NFL Red Zone, SNF and MNF. Unfortunately that resulted in a lot of new Seahawks fans and the 49ers have always been quite popular, even before the football boom. At least nobody seems to care about the Rams ;)

Go Cards!!
Willkommen an Bord

Welcome aboard!

OP
OP
A

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
It was a joke. Yes it placed you on the wrong continent. That was the point of the obviously bad joke. My apologies. I forget some things get lost in translation. Especially if you've never watched Crocodile Dundee. ;)
Damn it, I honestly was on the fence with this one, but given that I have never heard that phrase I should probably watch Crocodile Dundee without german dub one day ;)

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Love Austria! Spent two weeks there 15 years ago as part of the Master's program from WP Carey School of Business.

Went to the opera, spent some time with the Finance Minister, visited Salzburg (amazing), the Monistary winery, Mauthausen, and more.

Can't wait to visit again!

Per "shrimp on the barbie" the clip from the movie would have helped:)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Your football knowledge is surely better than @Solar7 and @Stout so no reason you can't join in ;)

Your English is certainly better.

Wow, what a...snide way to welcome someone to the board while insulting other posters. But winking makes it better? smh Thanks for the @, @BritCard, I guess?

Welcome to the board, @AustrianCardFan! As you can see, we're like a giant family here lol Also, newbies buy dinner, but I don't want anything but schnitzel with mushroom gravy. Schnitzel for an appetizer, a main dish, and desert. Nothing to drink--the gravy will suffice. Oh, I guess we can throw in some pomme frites to dip in the gravy, too.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Welcome!

I’d be really interested to see how many countries are represented on this board. Is there any way to find that out? We should try to get someone from as many countries as possible.

OP
OP
A

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd really love to get back to Europe and visit Vienna. I went to loads of countries while stationed in Germany, but literally only got to stop at a bus stop in Austria :(
That's really unfortunate. I think that Salzburg and Vienna are always worth a visit, even if it is only for a couple of days.
Many people don't know but there are actually a few surveys, that place Vienna at number 1 in a quality of living ranking. For example the Mercer study:
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2019-quality-of-living-survey.html

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, what a...snide way to welcome someone to the board while insulting other posters. But winking makes it better? smh Thanks for the @, @BritCard, I guess?

Welcome to the board, @AustrianCardFan! As you can see, we're like a giant family here lol Also, newbies buy dinner, but I don't want anything but schnitzel with mushroom gravy. Schnitzel for an appetizer, a main dish, and desert. Nothing to drink--the gravy will suffice. Oh, I guess we can throw in some pomme frites to dip in the gravy, too.

Jeez mate. Remove the Wurst from your butt. I was just joking around with you.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's really unfortunate. I think that Salzburg and Vienna are always worth a visit, even if it is only for a couple of days.
Many people don't know but there are actually a few surveys, that place Vienna at number 1 in a quality of living ranking. For example the Mercer study:

Ooh, I forgot Salzburg! Gah, there are so many incredible landmarks and cities in Europe to visit that I guess it's impossible to get to all of them. Well, once I'm an exceedingly rich spec fic writer, I'll get there :D

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mm hm, figured that would be the reply, to (try to) turn it around on me. Pretending a lame joke by adding a winking smiley to welcome another poster to the board? Yeesh.

Whatever dude. I was just having a bit of fun with you and Solar regarding our recent chats on RB's while welcoming a new member. If you want to take it some other way, that's your prerogative. Have a nice day.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I always wanted to visit Zell Am See after seeing it in the final episode of Band of Brothers many years ago. It looked stunning.

Then I found out many years later they cheated and filmed those scenes in Switzerland.

I have never found those places in Switzerland, all places I have ever been have been dull (I have a theory that the Swiss are famous for clocks because they are always wondering if it is time for bed yet). I have been to Austria a couple of times for business and that was much nicer.

I do know a couple of people that holiday regularly in Austria which is not really a common destination for Brits. They swear by the lakes there and say that they can have 30 degrees and sunshine on the lakes beaches then 30 minutes later be skiing.

OP
OP
A

AustrianCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I do know a couple of people that holiday regularly in Austria which is not really a common destination for Brits. They swear by the lakes there and say that they can have 30 degrees and sunshine on the lakes beaches then 30 minutes later be skiing.
That's funny because I actually don't know anyone that has ever done that. But yeah, we have a few skiable glaciers for summer skiing, so it's certainly possible.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's funny because I actually don't know anyone that has ever done that. But yeah, we have a few skiable glaciers for summer skiing, so it's certainly possible.

To be fair, I don't think they have ever done it either. I think they were just trying to point out the variety of activities available.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose