Cards can sign vet free agents now and not lose Comp Picks

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is as of Monday, May 3rd. So Cards can now sign free agents and not lose their Comp picks for 2022.
The have $14 million in cap money. Another CB and TE are big needs.

Effective at 4 PM ET, (Monday) unrestricted free agents that sign with a new team no longer count towards the NFL’s compensatory pick formula.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Keim time.

RB, TE, and CB.
I expect WR, CB and TE

EDIT: more specifically

I expect

WR - Damiere Byrd (outside WR the team is familiar with)

TE - Darren Fells (another familiar face who has had success as a red zone target)

CB - Casey Hayward (versatile player who Vance is familiar going against)

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is as of Monday, May 3rd. So Cards can now sign free agents and not lose their Comp picks for 2022.
The have $14 million in cap money. Another CB and TE are big needs.

Effective at 4 PM ET, (Monday) unrestricted free agents that sign with a new team no longer count towards the NFL’s compensatory pick formula.

Easily add another $7m to this with a June 1st designation on Kennard. Although our depth at the position sucks, that's just too much to pay him.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peters will almost certainly be back. I believe he's still working out at the Cards facility while rehabbing is knee. I'm sure they are just waiting on him being healthy.

Hope you are right Peters is a solid contributor and good leader. The key will be his recovery form his knee injury. Just a minor point; I don't think he can work out at the Cards facility as he is a free agent.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope you are right Peters is a solid contributor and good leader. The key will be his recovery form his knee injury. Just a minor point; I don't think he can work out at the Cards facility as he is a free agent.

I'm sure I saw him there in a recent video but may have been mistaken.

Does that rule change if you are injured? Seems harsh that you are robbed of facilities required to recover for an injury you sustained while playing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pharoh Cooper is out there. I thought he did a nice job when he was here -- and can give some help in the return game

I don't see them signing another WR.

We have Nuk, Green, Kirk, Moore, Johnson, Isabella. They kept 6 last year and that's the 6 right now.

They couldn't move Isabella in a trade so I think they give him one more year to improve.

I'm not sure what Cooper would add? Both Kirk and Moore can return.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

We have Nuk, Green, Kirk, Moore, Johnson, Isabella. They kept 6 last year and that's the 6 right now.

They couldn't move Isabella in a trade so I think they give him one more year to improve.

I may be the only one, but I'd sure like to see what the new WR coach can do with Isabella. The possibility of an improved Isabella and Rondale Moore on the field together intrigues me.

Both Isabella and Kirk are so inconsistent it is frustrating. They are the wide receiver versions of Zane Gonzalez IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I expect WR, CB and TE

EDIT: more specifically

I expect

WR - Damiere Byrd (outside WR the team is familiar with)

TE - Darren Fells (another familiar face who has had success as a red zone target)

CB - Casey Hayward (versatile player who Vance is familiar going against)

Man I love Hayward.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kirk can return if you want a guy who runs East-west and backwards on punts.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kirk can return if you want a guy who runs East-west and backwards on punts.

They have Moore too. I don't see them signing a guy just to return with those two already on the roster.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure I saw him there in a recent video but may have been mistaken.

Does that rule change if you are injured? Seems harsh that you are robbed of facilities required to recover for an injury you sustained while playing.

I don't know since he is no longer under contract there could be liability issues if he is re-injured? :shrug:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
they have one. Kirk has literally proven he can’t do the job.

That's really not true. By far the most important job of the punt returner is to consistently catch the ball. Kirk can do that.

He did only average 6 yds per return, which is one of the worst avg's for a primary punt returner in the league - but the average is like 10. The total punt return touchdowns all year was 8 for the whole league - no Returner had more than one.

The way I look at is if you have a very good offense an additional 5 yards per punt is really not a big deal, and is not going to cost you scores very often at all.

I am pretty sure Moore will be used as the return man - they even mentioned it while they were drafting him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's really not true. By far the most important job of the punt returner is to consistently catch the ball. Kirk can do that.

He did only average 6 yds per return, which is one of the worst avg's for a primary punt returner in the league - but the average is like 10. The total punt return touchdowns all year was 8 for the whole league - no Returner had more than one.

The way I look at is if you have a very good offense an additional 5 yards per punt is really not a big deal, and is not going to cost you scores very often at all.

I am pretty sure Moore will be used as the return man - they even mentioned it while they were drafting him.

Agreed, and while I agree Kirk isn't a great returner you also have to factor in the situations too. A good defense that's going to force more punts deep in a teams own half are going to force more deep punts while allow the returner more space to return.

Teams with lesser defenses where teams are punting more often from the 50 and going to be high and short and less returnable.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why now makes a difference for guys like Nelson and Hayward who were released thus do not count against comp pick calculation.

The only reason why Nelson should still be available is because
1. He wants too much money
2. Teams waited until after draft to see if they still need a CB.

I can't imagine Nelson thinking he deserves north of $10M but maybe because he had better seasons than Peterson & Griffin PFF grade wise and is under 30 he is overvaluing himself.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For me the main thing on a punt return is not to fumble or lose yards. Anything else is a plus. However in Patrick Peterson's rookie year he was phenomenal!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose