Post Draft Free Agent Options

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
RB
Toughest part about RB is that Edmonds and Conner are two legit starters even if they are unproven or low-end. Sometimes vets prefer situations with an open opportunity over just being depth.
Todd Gurley
Duke Johnson
Lev Bell
Frank Gore

WR
Tough part here is that we are likely only in the market for another outside WR. I only add Amendola because he would be a nice vet option if the Cards want to move on from Isabella.
Danny Amendola
Damiere Byrd
Dez Bryant

TE
I have said in other threads I don't believe we will be using a TE much. On that note, it is more about adding a professional body than anything else.
Jesse James
Tyler Eifert
Darren Fells
Trey Burton

OL
Both of these guys have had recent injuries but also were difference makers. I don't believe either is likely, but they could be nice fliers.
Mitchell Schwartz
Trai Turner

DL
All four still have a little in the tank. Peters is more of a NT at this point in time. The rest are interior pass rush options. Peters and Atkins are the favorites, Atkins being some insurance for Watt and Phillips.
Geno Atkins
Corey Peters
Jurrell Casey
Kawaan Short

S
Malik Hooker just on a wing and a prayer.

CB
Vets who probably need a zone scheme with a nice pass rush to be successful but will play the assignment coverage VAnce likes.
Casey Hayward
Richard Sherman
Steven Nelson
Brian Poole
Jason McCourty
Bashaud Breeland
Jonathan Joseph

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
RB
Toughest part about RB is that Edmonds and Conner are two legit starters even if they are unproven or low-end. Sometimes vets prefer situations with an open opportunity over just being depth.
Todd Gurley
Duke Johnson
Lev Bell
Frank Gore Bring him in...At this point in his career, if you need 2 yards he's gonna get you 2 yards...If you need 3 yards, he's gonna get you 2 yards.

WR
Tough part here is that we are likely only in the market for another outside WR. I only add Amendola because he would be a nice vet option if the Cards want to move on from Isabella.
Danny Amendola
Damiere Byrd Bring him in...He's got a little speed and knows the system.
Dez Bryant

TE
I have said in other threads I don't believe we will be using a TE much. On that note, it is more about adding a professional body than anything else.
Jesse James
Tyler Eifert
Darren Fells Bring him in...It's a low bar, but he can clear it...barely.
Trey Burton Bring him in...He's still under 30...Is pretty reliable and hasn't missed many games due to injury.

OL
Both of these guys have had recent injuries but also were difference makers. I don't believe either is likely, but they could be nice fliers.
Mitchell Schwartz
Trai Turner

DL
All four still have a little in the tank. Peters is more of a NT at this point in time. The rest are interior pass rush options. Peters and Atkins are the favorites, Atkins being some insurance for Watt and Phillips.
Geno Atkins
Corey Peters Bring him back! Gets the most out of what he has. Is a good leader.
Jurrell Casey
Kawaan Short

S

CB
Vets who probably need a zone scheme with a nice pass rush to be successful but will play the assignment coverage VAnce likes.
Casey Hayward
Richard Sherman
Steven Nelson
Brian Poole
Jason McCourty
Bashaud Breeland
Jonathan Joseph

My picks in BOLD.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
ill add Gareon Conley, CB

young, opted out last year. His best grades are playing man, which is what VJ does

it seems like a cheap flyer on a guy who was drafted in the first round not that long ago

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
RB
Todd Gurley
Duke Johnson
Lev Bell
Frank Gore

WR
Danny Amendola
Damiere Byrd
Dez Bryant

TE
Jesse James
Tyler Eifert
Darren Fells
Trey Burton

OL
Mitchell Schwartz
Trai Turner

DL
Geno Atkins
Corey Peters
Jurrell Casey
Kawaan Short

S

CB
Casey Hayward
Richard Sherman
Steven Nelson
Brian Poole

Jason McCourty
Bashaud Breeland
Jonathan Joseph

My picks in bold.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really can't understand why anybody wants Frank Gore anymore.

I would rather give Eno, or any other unsigned, or better yet 52 man roster cut a chance over him.

Reactions: PJ1
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really can't understand why anybody wants Frank Gore anymore.

I would rather give Eno, or any other unsigned, or better yet 52 man roster cut a chance over him.
He can get the job done for what you need and he is ok with a complimentary role. Not many good vets are. Eno Benjamin just sucks at this point.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Since he never played in the regular season and he had no PS games, we just don't know what he can do. That's why I hope we'll have a TC in order to find out. Seems pretty certain that he can't play ST's and that hurts him. I would think that if we have PS games he'll get an opportunity to be a kick/punt returner which would help him make the 53. If not I doubt he makes the team.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
I would love Byrd back. He did some great things for us. He is better than Izzy and I think still a bit better than Johnson.

Corey Peters is almost a must IMO. He would look great clogging the running lanes between JJ, CJ and Golden

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson. He’s a lot like Edmonds.

James

Peters

Byrd if we are even thinking about another Wr.

A cb. Good lord we need a cb.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd love to have Corey Peters back, but I understand that the team is waiting on a medical report from his season ending injury.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
People need to remember that many vet players prefer to wait to sign if they are signing and don't expect to have a prominent role.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Something else that needs to be considered is roster limitations. Essentially, what spots do we have where a vet that we bring in is worth moving a player to the PS or cutting.

TE is easy as we only have Darrell Daniels and Ian Bunting after Maxx. So a player like Darren Fells would just replace one of those guys.

CB becomes a little tougher because I expect us to carry 5 and Alford, Butler, and Murphy are locks. Add in Gowan and Wilson from this draft class and Jace Whittaker from last year and we are now 5/6 CBs deep. Adding a free agent CB now means we either take a spot from another position or move one of these guys to the PS and risk losing them to another team.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something else that needs to be considered is roster limitations. Essentially, what spots do we have where a vet that we bring in is worth moving a player to the PS or cutting.

TE is easy as we only have Darrell Daniels and Ian Bunting after Maxx. So a player like Darren Fells would just replace one of those guys.

CB becomes a little tougher because I expect us to carry 5 and Alford, Butler, and Murphy are locks. Add in Gowan and Wilson from this draft class and Jace Whittaker from last year and we are now 5/6 CBs deep. Adding a free agent CB now means we either take a spot from another position or move one of these guys to the PS and risk losing them to another team.

Alford isn't a lock to make the 53

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There flex in that though. They could keep 6 CB's, move Whitaker to the PS and have one less safety, or one less LB. Those back end guys are normally for ST's anyway and I assume both Collins and Gowan will play ST's.

Also, they could could Alford too if we are honest. There's a chance Alford doesn't make the grade through camp.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There flex in that though. They could keep 6 CB's, move Whitaker to the PS and have one less safety, or one less LB. Those back end guys are normally for ST's anyway and I assume both Collins and Gowan will play ST's.

Also, they could could Alford too if we are honest. There's a chance Alford doesn't make the grade through camp.

At safeties we have very good depth

Baker
Jalen Thompson
Deonta Thompson
Shawn Williams
Wiggins
Banjo

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member