Keim’s Homage to George Allen

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Many of you youngsters won’t even know the name George Allen. He was the GM in Washington and dominated the league for a few years by trading away his draft choices for veteran players. As I looked over the draft results I couldn’t help but think Keim had borrowed a page from George’s script. As a draft aficionado, it was hard for me to build enthusiasm with so few early picks. That said, I’m excited about next season. Before getting too carried away, if I’m not confused, in Allen’s time there was no cap and I think they only played about 12 games. These factors need to be considered. The Cards didn’t have space to buy the CB personnel they needed. Also no one knows for sure if this vet group can hold up for 17 games and hopefully some playoff games as well.

They often made fun of Allen, showing his team as cartoon old guys in wheelchairs. However, their guile and experience made Allen’s warriors dominant teams. They were highly motivated. They played smart football. Most importantly they won.

I expect the Cards to offer similar results. It’s a little early to start predicting records, but this is a playoff team, barring serious injuries. I’m expecting a big year from Watt. I’ve already written how I think adding Watt makes this an outstanding pass rush. I think Green will make his share of big catches and create opportunities for the other receivers. Simply put these Cards will have lots of ways to beat people.

While the draft was light I think Collins and Moore will both contribute, perhaps significantly. I also think this will be a fun team to watch. They know how to win and win they will. I applaud Keim for remembering this strategy. It is true transitioning back to a more traditional process will likely lead to a few lean years at some point. That is, however, a small price to pay for a team that’s never won a Super Bowl. There are no guarantees in the NFL that they can win it all, but I’m looking forward to a great ride.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Many of you youngsters won’t even know the name George Allen. He was the GM in Washington and dominated the league for a few years by trading away his draft choices for veteran players. As I looked over the draft results I couldn’t help but think Keim had borrowed a page from George’s script. As a draft aficionado, it was hard for me to build enthusiasm with so few early picks. That said, I’m excited about next season. Before getting too carried away, if I’m not confused, in Allen’s time there was no cap and I think they only played about 12 games. These factors need to be considered. The Cards didn’t have space to buy the CB personnel they needed. Also no one knows for sure if this vet group can hold up for 17 games and hopefully some playoff games as well.

They often made fun of Allen, showing his team as cartoon old guys in wheelchairs. However, their guile and experience made Allen’s warriors dominant teams. They were highly motivated. They played smart football. Most importantly they won.

I expect the Cards to offer similar results. It’s a little early to start predicting records, but this is a playoff team, barring serious injuries. I’m expecting a big year from Watt. I’ve already written how I think adding Watt makes this an outstanding pass rush. I think Green will make his share of big catches and create opportunities for the other receivers. Simply put these Cards will have lots of ways to beat people.

While the draft was light I think Collins and Moore will both contribute, perhaps significantly. I also think this will be a fun team to watch. They know how to win and win they will. I applaud Keim for remembering this strategy. It is true transitioning back to a more traditional process will likely lead to a few lean years at some point. That is, however, a small price to pay for a team that’s never won a Super Bowl. There are no guarantees in the NFL that they can win it all, but I’m looking forward to a great ride.

I think so too. This is a team that we should expect to win 10+ games next year...but it's not built for sustained success.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
George is my fav all time coach. He loved older experienced players, and would usually trade his top draft picks for established older players.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think so too. This is a team that we should expect to win 10+ games next year...but it's not built for sustained success.

I think this is my biggest gripe with the off-season. We aren’t built for sustained success and so being built for just a 10ish win team feels like this weird... middle place. I could get sacrificing for the future for really going all in for a Super Bowl run, but as you said, this seems like a short-term plan merely to get in the playoffs.

we’re currently like 15 million under the cap, with solid dead weight that could have been cut to make even more with Kennard and even the mythical Jones restructure where we could have gone really hog wild in FA. Instead we just kinda went hog mild in FA to me... while still not addressing major holes in the team.

It’s just a weird off-season that possibly moves the needle a little from 8 to 10/11 wins but does nothing for the future of the team at the same time. Gives me similar vibes to the last “ALL IN” year where somehow people convinced themselves that the 2017 Cardinals were going for one more big run, despite losing Calais. That seemed like a waste of a season.

hope this isn’t the same.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It appears to me that the Rams are doing this as well.
It will work long term if he starts drafting better. No more 1st and 2nd round busts and find a gem in the later rounds.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this is my biggest gripe with the off-season. We aren’t built for sustained success and so being built for just a 10ish win team feels like this weird... middle place. I could get sacrificing for the future for really going all in for a Super Bowl run, but as you said, this seems like a short-term plan merely to get in the playoffs.

we’re currently like 15 million under the cap, with solid dead weight that could have been cut to make even more with Kennard and even the mythical Jones restructure where we could have gone really hog wild in FA. Instead we just kinda went hog mild in FA to me... while still not addressing major holes in the team.

It’s just a weird off-season that possibly moves the needle a little from 8 to 10/11 wins but does nothing for the future of the team at the same time. Gives me similar vibes to the last “ALL IN” year where somehow people convinced themselves that the 2017 Cardinals were going for one more big run, despite losing Calais. That seemed like a waste of a season.

This where my rational darkside comes into to place.

I agree.

This team will literally have to recock after the 2021 season. That's no way to build sustained success.

I don't think RB and TE will be the death's knell for this team, because frankly that's a completely misinformed take. What will be the death's knell is that this will be a one and done team that will have to be rebuilt next year. That's not sustainable.

Keim should have traded all tradeable players after the Wilks year and committed to a complete rebuild. I think based on the way Bidwill reacted, Wilks was his hire. As bad as that team was, it easily could have won two+ more games if not for how incompetent the coaching staff was.

Keim is good at finding cheap vets and good at trades. This draft at least brought in some plus athletes and I see how each of the early picks makes sense. Collins replaces the dreadfully awful Hicks. Rondale Moore fits some of the gadgetry that the KK offense runs. The corners are both young guys with potential. Solid draft overall.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I always enjoy your unique opinion. Harry.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I see what your saying but they filled a lot of holes this off season. Upgraded at Cb, Center, RG maybe, Upgrade at WR if Green has anything left let’s Kirk play slot Moore at slot, RB same IMO, not TE. Watt HUGE upgrade if he stays healthy. Inside LBs both are athletic fast and can cover. Upgrade at kicker. Upgraded returner. Still need to sign another vet CB for #2 Still need a pass catching TE

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see what your saying but they filled a lot of holes this off season. Upgraded at Cb, Center, RG maybe, Upgrade at WR if Green has anything left let’s Kirk play slot Moore at slot, RB same IMO, not TE. Watt HUGE upgrade if he stays healthy. Inside LBs both are athletic fast and can cover. Upgrade at kicker. Upgraded returner. Still need to sign another vet CB for #2 Still need a pass catching TE

Fully disagree that CB has been upgraded, this is the weakest unit on the team. RB is still a concern at least depth wise. Not sure Kicker position is an upgrade. What returner did we get for an upgrade?

I do believe this team has been improved but SK still has some work to do on the CB and RB position. I'm not as concerned about TE as some because it seems obvious KK plans on running a lot more 10 personnel. Max Williams ankle should be good and he is more than adequate at what KK needs.

I agree SK has had a very good off season but there was a ton of work to be done and there is still more to do. I'm expecting he will sign a vet CB and RB to shore up those positions.

I'm excited for the season and expect a good record if some of the remaining holes are addressed.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Stop. George Allen was a paranoid control freak, an infamous cheat, who won the NFC East exactly once and had a postseason record only slightly better than George Custer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Stop. George Allen was a paranoid control freak, an infamous cheat, who won the NFC East exactly once and had a postseason record only slightly better than George Custer.

In the 50s the Washington best finish was 1 second place. The same was true of the 60s. Under Allen they finished first once and second 6 times in the 70s. Hard to say he wasn’t effective.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm not sure if we have to use the $15M (see above) to sign the rookies and UDFA's. If we do, how much is left to use for:
*Larry insurance
*Vet CB
*Vet WR
*Vet TE

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big difference between Allen and Keim. Allen roster was by design. Keims moves this year we’re out of necessity.

Can we win 10 games? Maybe. More likely Watt will miss 6 games. Green will not transcend back in time to 4 years ago. We lost our 3rd leading receiver in Arnold. Conner has been prone to injury and I would bet the mortgage Edmonds won’t play all 17 games. No worries cause we got Benjamin to fill in.

Now consider injuries and consider a 17 game season AND tougher schedule. We really don’t need a rash of injuries to crush this team. Just a few key ones. If Budda or Butler get injured we may as well play a 3-6-2 defense.

Lot of people saying the cap will go up next year and I’m sure it will. But it will go up for everyone.

Sorry, but I’ve run out of kool-aid. If you annually

Predict doom for this team you will be right 90% of the time. Keims total inability to draft has forced him to put together a patchwork squad.

Has anybody seen the over/ under on wins this season? I’ll take the under sight unseen.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I remember George Allen's Redskins lost Super Bowl VII to Don Shula's undefeated Miami Dolphins. Allen was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2002.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

There was, however, one large flaw in the Allen approach.

He worked his team to death in practice and as a result had no legs at end of the season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
This team will literally have to recock after the 2021 season.
i think your and Cheese' observations are good ones

the one thing i would differ on is that the above describes about 80% of the teams with winning records this year

every "contender" with the exception of the Browns and Colts is tight to the cap -- and all addressed it with one year and short term deals.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I remember George Allen as coach of the Redskins and I hated the guy primarily because his teams used to beat the Cardinals with regularity. He had this nervous habit of licking his fingers at critical moments during the game, and then he would explode with emotion on the sideline ala Pete Carol when the Skins prevailed . He was an East coast guy with a big personality and was considered a great defensive minded coach.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If we win 10 games next season I will be shocked. This team is not coached well enough to avoid bad performances, and our schedule is doing none of us any favors.

7-9 wins is my expectation. And 9 wins may be a wild card. The most shallow of wild card births IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave