Preferred 1st round opponent

Would do you think we match up with best in a series?

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of debate about who we match up well against and who we don't. Who would you like to see us face in the 1st round?

I put the teams seeded 4th through 10th in the poll, leaving out the Jazz and Clippers since its very unlikely we'd see either in the 1st round.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was much harder picking just one than I thought it would be. Besides Dallas though I wouldn't mind seeing Memphis as a second choice but I think they're most likely to choke during the play-in round.

Here are the rules for that also...

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Should be Spurs #1 bc they really aren’t that good and it’s a 7game series. But pop has me spooked. So it’s kind of a toss up with spurs/griz/mavs

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be Spurs #1 bc they really aren’t that good and it’s a 7game series. But pop has me spooked. So it’s kind of a toss up with spurs/griz/mavs

I almost allowed people to pick 2 choices but I figured results wouldn't vary that much since most people would probably pick the same 2 or 3 teams.

That said, I agree 100% on the Spurs and the Pop factor. Maybe if the first round was still a 5 games series, I would like our odds better but 7 games against Pop doesn't sound fun or easy. That could very well kill our chances in the 2nd round even if we win just because of how grueling it would be.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost allowed people to pick 2 choices but I figured results wouldn't vary that much since most people would probably pick the same 2 or 3 teams.

That said, I agree 100% on the Spurs and the Pop factor. Maybe if the first round was still a 5 games series, I would like our odds better but 7 games against Pop doesn't sound fun or easy. That could very well kill our chances in the 2nd round even if we win just because of how grueling it would be.

I'm the opposite. If it were a 5 game series I'd have to think twice about facing Pop. He's a good enough coach that he can steal a game from you which could be huge in a 5 game series but I don't think he can have the same impact over 7 games. I think we're enough better than the Spurs to survive a 7 game series even with the coaching edge going to the other guys. As it is, the Spurs would be my second choice behind Portland for a first round opponent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Oh no I think 7 games favors us. Shorter series allows the fluke under talented team to steal a series. Talent should play out with longer series.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. If it were a 5 game series I'd have to think twice about facing Pop. He's a good enough coach that he can steal a game from you which could be huge in a 5 game series but I don't think he can have the same impact over 7 games. I think we're enough better than the Spurs to survive a 7 game series even with the coaching edge going to the other guys. As it is, the Spurs would be my second choice behind Portland for a first round opponent.
Agree with 7 vs 5 series. Disagree with Portland. The Dame and McCollum backcourt is deadly and they’ve got bigs that trouble us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with 7 vs 5 series. Disagree with Portland. The Dame and McCollum backcourt is deadly and they’ve got bigs that trouble us.

We're 2-0 against Portland this season including a 32 point blowout but I agree, their backcourt has caused us problems in the past. When I first opted for Portland it was in part because they've lost 10 of their last 13 games. But after looking over their schedule, it appears they've lost a lot of close games to good teams so they aren't struggling as much as I thought they were.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Portland is in a major funk right now. It's possible they shed it in time for the playoffs, but there are rumors that Dame isn't fully healthy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's always dangerous to pick your poison. I guess I'd rather face the Grizzlies because they are a relatively inexperienced playoff team.

Portland has the talent. If they put it together in the playoffs they could be hard to beat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland is in a major funk right now. It's possible they shed it in time for the playoffs, but there are rumors that Dame isn't fully healthy.

They had double digit losses to Milwaukee, Utah and the Clippers but the rest of their losses during this 3-10 stretch were all close and all to good teams. But if Dame isn't healthy they might not make it out of the play in game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We're 2-0 against Portland this season including a 32 point blowout but I agree, their backcourt has caused us problems in the past. When I first opted for Portland it was in part because they've lost 10 of their last 13 games. But after looking over their schedule, it appears they've lost a lot of close games to good teams so they aren't struggling as much as I thought they were.
I don’t McCollum played in those two games against us, did he?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They had double digit losses to Milwaukee, Utah and the Clippers but the rest of their losses during this 3-10 stretch were all close and all to good teams. But if Dame isn't healthy they might not make it out of the play in game.
If Dame isn’t healthy that changes everything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Dame isn’t healthy that changes everything.

Lillard had 23 points and 6 assists in Portland win over Pacers tonight.

I don't want to face a healthy Portland team with Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic and Kanter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't want to face a healthy Portland team with Lillard, McCollum, Nurkic and Kanter.

thats definitely got the makings of a 6-7 game series, especially if our inexperience costs us Game 1 and Dame goes nuts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats definitely got the makings of a 6-7 game series, especially if our inexperience costs us Game 1 and Dame goes nuts.

Trail Blazers are a team that can forget about the regular season and put it together in the playoffs.

There are no easy outs in the West.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavericks more than doubling up the Warriors at the half

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trail Blazers are a team that can forget about the regular season and put it together in the playoffs.

There are no easy outs in the West.

Yeah depending on health I think there are probably 12 teams that could win it all and most of them are in the West.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mavericks more than doubling up the Warriors at the half

The Warriors have been clobbered a few times this season. I recall a game they lost to Toronto by almost 60 around the All-Star break. They're either on or off and if they're off they're really off.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I picked golden state , curry is going to be curry but that team isn't very good right now. I see them or memphis being the teams we should beat without to much problems, atleast we "should"

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am probably in the minority but the Spurs scare me.

whatever they were doing defensivly to us in that last game was disrupting us incredibly well.

I feel like we can guard Steph pretty well, they really don’t worry me at all. Memphis I don’t worry about either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

If our wings falter in that series it’s game over. Kanter/nurkic will outperform Ayton/saric as duos. And Dame/McCollum are more explosive than Paul/Booker. It will likely come down to bridges/cam/crowder/Craig and that’s a really inconsistent bunch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose