Suns @ Knicks Monday game thread 4-26-2021

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow fun to wake n bake :) have a cup of sbucks coffee and watch fun highlights of that gutsy w last night

Huge tests vs clipps jazz mainly want to beat jazz not expecting both w

Amazing season monty coach of yr jones gm of yr imo

Amazing turnaround in a short period!!

Also good gms on the bench by payne!! Bridges Cam

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I know people are trying to manage their expectations and it’s tough to put the past decade behind us, but I think this is a silly comment about a team that is a game back of the best record in the league.

Could be... But Ayton, Book, Bridges, Cam J & Carter have played in a total of ZERO playoff games... And guys like Saric, Craig, Payne and Kaminsky have limited (one series) playoff experience...
IMHO, regardless of the how many regular season wins a team puts up, the post season is an entirely different dynamic. There will be several critical moments in each game of the post season, where players who have never taken a post-season shot, will need to make a basket at a huge juncture in a game. Maybe I still suffer from the PTSD brought on by the past decade... But I really would be more surprised if this team made it through round 1, than if they get bounced.
And before I get pounced on... I LOVE this team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Could be... But Ayton, Book, Bridges, Cam J & Carter have played in a total of ZERO playoff games... And guys like Saric, Craig, Payne and Kaminsky have limited (one series) playoff experience...
IMHO, regardless of the how many regular season wins a team puts up, the post season is an entirely different dynamic. There will be several critical moments in each game of the post season, where players who have never taken a post-season shot, will need to make a basket at a huge juncture in a game. Maybe I still suffer from the PTSD brought on by the past decade... But I really would be more surprised if this team made it through round 1, than if they get bounced.
I’d agree if (a) Paul wasn’t their leader - a leader they all listen to; (b) monty wasn’t their coach - I think he has a calming effect on a young team and that’s why they can stink for three quarters and then come back and win games; and (c) they’ve been in nail biters all season against the best teams in the league and have prevailed more frequently than not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Playoff games.

Chris Paul--109
Jae Crowder--72 (51 starts)
Dario Saric--10 games (10 starts)
Torrey Craig--33 games (14 starts)
Frank Kaminsky--7 games (5 starts)
Abdel Nader--17 games
Cameron Payne--11 games
ETwan Moore--21 games (9 starts)
Langston Galloway--4 games

Thats 284 playoff games and 198 starts represented on this roster.

Then, of course, you consider the bubble which was essentially playoff basketball. That gives Ayton, Bridges, both Cams, Carter, Saric, Kaminsky, and Book 8 more games each.

Also, Mikal Bridges has 14 NCAA tourney games and two NCAA championships. It's different, but the one-and-done format has all its own pressures. Cam Johnson has 6 NCAA tourney games.

I do not have the time to tally it but I would guess that stack up with the Mavericks and maybe another WC team or two.

Honestly, I do not think playoff experience is as much a problem as people make it out to be. The issue really is just how good is this team?

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Playoff games.

Chris Paul--109
Abdel Nader--17 games
Cameron Payne--11 games

Then, of course, you consider the bubble which was essentially playoff basketball. That gives Ayton, Bridges, both Cams, Carter, Saric, Kaminsky, and Book 8 more games each.

Also, Mikal Bridges has 14 NCAA tourney games and two NCAA championships. It's different, but the one-and-done format has all its own pressures. Cam Johnson has 6 NCAA tourney games.

I do not have the time to tally it but I would guess that stack up with the Mavericks and maybe another WC team or two.

Honestly, I do not think playoff experience is as much a problem as people make it out to be. The issue really is just how good is this team?

I'm not trying to be any sort of "voice of doom..." But, none of what you state here gives me even the slightest bit of additional comfort about this teams' chances in the post season. It would've been better if you just said something like "This team is incredibly talented and tight. Chris Paul is a world-class leader. And they're gonna ride their regular season momentum."

Ouchie presented some very sound rationale in his response...and still, knowing how vastly different the post season is from the regular season, none of what he wrote makes me feel any more comfortable about having to rely on guys who have no, or at best, extremely little playoff experience.

All that said, I hope my gut is entirely wrong and that this team not only gets past the first round, but makes an impressive run in this post season!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoff games.

Chris Paul--109
Abdel Nader--17 games
Cameron Payne--11 games

And don't forget Kaminsky has 11 NCAA tourney, with two final fours, one championship game and twice knocked UA from getting to the Final Four ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playoff games.

Chris Paul--109
Abdel Nader--17 games
Cameron Payne--11 games

man, this feels like a lot of talking yourself into something you really don't believe.

the bubble wasn't even CLOSE to playoff basketball, because while they were the longest of longshot odds involved for us to make the playoffs, teams we played didn't have NEAR the intensity or need to win that we did. Half of the games we played were against the scrub versions of other teams as well who were resting guys for the actual playoffs. And we were playing with nothing to lose. massive difference between just going out there and trying to do the unthinkable when no one expects anything out of you as opposed to being a top seed in the league where if you do lose early, the season will feel a bit like a failure.

NCAA games? Uh no. Again, you're talking about Bridges who played on one of the most stacked college teams ever, who had massive talent advantages on most if not all of their opponents. Cam played in... 6 tourney games? Come on JC.

Out of our main rotation guys, two of them have really good playoff experience. trying to come up with reasons why the rest of our rotation does is kinda silly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are going to go as far as Chris Paul leads them. He has been teaching the Suns how to win close games all season.

See the Knicks game last night

The key is getting past the first round. After that, the team will know better what it is all about. I'm more concerned about the Suns staying healthy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
man, this feels like a lot of talking yourself into something you really don't believe.

the bubble wasn't even CLOSE to playoff basketball, because while they were the longest of longshot odds involved for us to make the playoffs, teams we played didn't have NEAR the intensity or need to win that we did. Half of the games we played were against the scrub versions of other teams as well who were resting guys for the actual playoffs. And we were playing with nothing to lose. massive difference between just going out there and trying to do the unthinkable when no one expects anything out of you as opposed to being a top seed in the league where if you do lose early, the season will feel a bit like a failure.

NCAA games? Uh no. Again, you're talking about Bridges who played on one of the most stacked college teams ever, who had massive talent advantages on most if not all of their opponents. Cam played in... 6 tourney games? Come on JC.

Out of our main rotation guys, two of them have really good playoff experience. trying to come up with reasons why the rest of our rotation does is kinda silly.

Fine. Discount the NCAA tourney games. Cam's six games are not really consequential, but Mikal's championship experience is.

Still, our depth and the experience of our depth matters. Look at the Mavs. Even though our team hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, many of our players have. That will have a positive impact on the locker room. All I posted was the games and facts. Games played don't matter so much as the games started and played significant minutes in a playoff environment. Players like Crowder, Saric, Craig, and Moore will make a difference in any playoff success we might have this year. I just don't think the bright lights will make that much of a difference. I think the experience thing is overrated.

The real issue is how good is this team, really? CP3 is an interesting character. He produces wins in the regular season because his leadership demands consistency from those around him. So we get better and more consistent performances in the regular season. In that sense, this team might be overachieving in comparison to its peers.

It will interesting to see what happens in the playoffs when every team is more engaged in every game. I am not expecting the Suns to perform in the playoffs as well as they have in the regular season, but it's not because of inexperience. It's because they are well-coached and motivated in the regular season and therefore maybe over-achieving right now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Unless the seeding shifts quite a bit, the Suns should be playing a substantially weaker opponent in the first round. They'll be favorites, even with their lack of experience. After that, all bets are off.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While the Suns are boasting the second-best record in the league, come playoff time I think the Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Sixers, Nets, and Bucks are better teams. They are not as enganged in the regular season as the Suns are, and all of them have had injuries that might or should be better once playoff time comes.

Also, I am just afraid of the Spurs. Pop just seems to figure teams out in the playoffs. I also think a series with the Nuggets and Portland would be a toss-up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While the Suns are boasting the second-best record in the league, come playoff time I think the Lakers, Clippers, Jazz, Sixers, Nets, and Bucks are better teams. They are not as enganged in the regular season as the Suns are, and all of them have had injuries that might or should be better once playoff time comes.

If healthy, I'd agree the Lakers, Clippers, Sixers and Nets are all better than us but only the Lakers and Nets are demonstrably better IMO. And I think we're right there with the Bucks and Jazz.

Also, I am just afraid of the Spurs. Pop just seems to figure teams out in the playoffs. I also think a series with the Nuggets and Portland would be a toss-up.

I think highly of Pop but I believe you're giving him far too much credit, since his stars retired his teams really haven't done much. In the past 7 years, they've missed the playoffs twice, been knocked out in the first round 3 times, once in the second and once in the conference finals.

I think we're a tossup with Denver unless they have home court advantage and then I'd give them a solid edge. I like our chances against Portland but we all know their guards can go wild.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If healthy, I'd agree the Lakers, Clippers, Sixers and Nets are all better than us but only the Lakers and Nets are demonstrably better IMO. And I think we're right there with the Bucks and Jazz.

I think highly of Pop but I believe you're giving him far too much credit, since his stars retired his teams really haven't done much. In the past 7 years, they've missed the playoffs twice, been knocked out in the first round 3 times, once in the second and once in the conference finals.

I think we're a tossup with Denver unless they have home court advantage and then I'd give them a solid edge. I like our chances against Portland but we all know their guards can go wild.

i only put the Lakers and Nets demonstrably better than us if healthy. Otherwise, I think we have just as solid a club as anyone else.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i only put the Lakers and Nets demonstrably better than us if healthy. Otherwise, I think we have just as solid a club as anyone else.

Yeah, Lakers and Nets notwithstanding I think if we play our game we can beat any of these teams in a 7 game series. I might make us slight underdogs against Philadelphia and the Clippers but they have almost as much reason to worry about us as we do about them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Lakers and Nets notwithstanding I think if we play our game we can beat any of these teams in a 7 game series. I might make us slight underdogs against Philadelphia and the Clippers but they have almost as much reason to worry about us as we do about them.

The Clippers I probably give a slight edge to simply because of Kawhi and their size, length and athleticism. But I think we matchup pretty good talent wise with Philly and I don’t think they have the mental toughness this Suns team has and that would be the difference in a series between, IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Clippers I probably give a slight edge to simply because of Kawhi and their size, length and athleticism. But I think we matchup pretty good talent wise with Philly and I don’t think they have the mental toughness this Suns team has and that would be the difference in a series between, IMO.
Agreed. I think embiid might set series records against us, but I don’t think the rest of his team keeps up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA