Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Red band trailer is out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks much better to than the promo pics that were put out a couple months ago. Since it'll be released on HBO Max, Ill definitely check it out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a fun popcorn flick. The story was a bit thin but it moved along at a good pace and kept the action flowing. I thought I'd dislike the new lead character created for this film but that storyline was fine and he was cast well. The only real issue I had was the casting of Kano. He was my favorite character from the early MK games and the guy who played him (Josh Lawson) seemed miscast. I'd only seen him in comedies before playing a dork so buying him as Kano was tough.

It will probably end up viewed as one of the best video game adaptations simply because there aren't any good video game movies and this didn't have very many flaws. I wonder how it will do in terms of box office receipts because it was a solid summer action flick but it doesn't seem like things are back to normal yet and being on HBO Max will also eat into its profits.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mortal Kombat

Release Date: April 23, 2021
Studio: New Line Cinema (Warner Bros.)
Director: Simon McQuoid
MPAA Rating: R for strong bloody violence and language throughout, and some crude references
Screenwriters: Oren Uziel, Dave Callaham, Greg Russo
Genre: Thriller, Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Starring: Ludi Lin, Mehcad Brooks, Tadanobu Asano, Sisi Stringer, Joe Taslim, Jessica McNamee, Josh Lawson, Lewis Tan, Chin Han, Hiroyuki Sanada

Plot Summary: MMA fighter Cole Young seeks out Earth's greatest champions in order to stand against the enemies of Outworld in a high stakes battle for the universe.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best parts of this movie

the opening scene

the last scene

right there worth the ticket for me. The casting was my biggest complain Lui Kang looks like he’s 12 and Raiden is a little tiny guy.

but Scorpion and Sub Zero deliver

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It was decent. A great concept to start a franchise, but not so good if is a stand-alone movie. I kinda enjoyed the Goro fight too. But Sub Zero and Scorpion are the real stars. Solid B movie. Hope we get more in the series.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm a party pooper. I always enjoyed Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter but never understood the appeal of the movies. Then again, I've never seen crouching tiger or unnammed amount of martial arts movies so maybe I am just not the target market.

I guess I got my fill back in the day with bruce lee and turned the corner.

To be fair, Sonic movies made no sense to me either

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this was just plain fun. It's a freaking Mortal Kombat movie; I wasn't looking for Oscar bait. Sure, the main character was blah, and Sub Zero and Scorpion were good, but Kano stole the show.

Yup very fun I enjoyed it

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Was very fun for what it was. Infinitely better than the 90s version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Town Drunk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
The writing/plot was terrible. The actions sequences were good. A good popcorn flick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose