Over-hyped guys you don’t like

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mac Jones. The surrounding cast at AL always makes individual players look better. In fact many have little upside left. Doesn’t mean they aren’t quality players but Jones won’t be throwing to players who dominate at their positions like he was in college. He’s likely okay, but nothing special. He will max his talent more quickly than the others so early on he’ll be fine but in the long run he’ll have less to offer.

Actually the biggest reason I don't like Jones is Jaylen Waddle. if you look at almost any highlight tape of Waddle you'll see 4-5 catches from Jones and every one of them the deep throw Waddle is 5 yards behind the defense, jones underthrows it and Waddle slows up or jumps and makes a great catch. They make Waddle look amazing, he is, but you realize that virtually all of those throws are wide open underthrows. In the NFL guys just don't get wide open that often, when they do you better have the arm to get it there or the DB will recover. You don't want to OVER throw it, give the guy a chance yes, but you watch Waddle and you see quickly that jones repeatedly underthrew him at Alabama

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Actually the biggest reason I don't like Jones is Jaylen Waddle. if you look at almost any highlight tape of Waddle you'll see 4-5 catches from Jones and every one of them the deep throw Waddle is 5 yards behind the defense, jones underthrows it and Waddle slows up or jumps and makes a great catch. They make Waddle look amazing, he is, but you realize that virtually all of those throws are wide open underthrows. In the NFL guys just don't get wide open that often, when they do you better have the arm to get it there or the DB will recover. You don't want to OVER throw it, give the guy a chance yes, but you watch Waddle and you see quickly that jones repeatedly underthrew him at Alabama

Devonta is also pretty good catching in traffic. I noticed more with Waddle because he’s just more explosive and Jones could lead him.

Mac was probably overthrowing in his pro day to overcompensate.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Devonta is also pretty good catching in traffic. I noticed more with Waddle because he’s just more explosive and Jones could lead him.

Mac was probably overthrowing in his pro day to overcompensate.

Smith is an enigma to me. You look at him physically and his testing numbers and he's just a guy. Nothing remotely says special player. You look at his film and stats and get the opposite.

I won't lie, he makes me nervous.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Smith is an enigma to me. You look at him physically and his testing numbers and he's just a guy. Nothing remotely says special player. You look at his film and stats and get the opposite.

Yup. Makes me nervous in both directions. Nervous to draft a twig who could be snapped at the nfl level. Makes me nervous to pass on a guy who could have greatness in him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yup. Makes me nervous in both directions. Nervous to draft a twig who could be snapped at the nfl level. Makes me nervous to pass on a guy who could have greatness in him.

My biggest issue is that after 4 years of college he's still 166lbs. I doubt he's suddenly going to be 190 in the NFL. How much punishment for how long can that frame take?

There's a huge difference between college and the NFL. He's going to get hit a lot more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My biggest issue is that after 4 years of college he's still 166lbs. I doubt he's suddenly going to be 190 in the NFL. How much punishment for how long can that frame take?

There's a huge difference between college and the NFL. He's going to get hit a lot more.
And a lot harder, by bigger men, running at greater speeds.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Agree on all accounts. I weigh significantly more than Smith and I'm only 5'11. Even if I cut down to very low body fat, I would weigh more than him.

Every time I've stood next to NFL defenders it seems obvious my frame couldnt take hits from guys that big. I would worry about Smith taking shots. He's too thin.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Agree on all accounts. I weigh significantly more than Smith and I'm only 5'11. Even if I cut down to very low body fat, I would weigh more than him.

Every time I've stood next to NFL defenders it seems obvious my frame couldnt take hits from guys that big. I would worry about Smith taking shots. He's too thin.

Did defenses just not realize he’s slight and decide not to bully him? Especially after Waddle went down you’d think he’d get the Steph Curry treatment and have three guys ganging up beating the crap out of him....

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did defenses just not realize he’s slight and decide not to bully him? Especially after Waddle went down you’d think he’d get the Steph Curry treatment and have three guys ganging up beating the crap out of him....
College guys can't run him down as easy or get in range for the hit. It's a different game when Isaiah Simmons runs a 4.39 and outweighs you by 72 lbs. (Man, writing down those numbers is scary. I'm 170 lbs and I can't imagine what would happen to me if I got hit by someone 68 lbs heavier. I'd probably explode.)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah I recall meeting Vance Johnson back in the day. He was a “smaller” speed receiver. Even at just 5’11 185 lbs he was just ripped. I was shocked a receiver looked so monstrous. The Slim Reaper ain’t that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There’s a reason lots of college players - even from the best programs - can’t cut it in the nfl. Everyone is bigger, faster, stronger, and just better. What works at the college level may translate to the NFL but only to a more limited extent, and usually not at all.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There’s a reason lots of college players - even from the best programs - can’t cut it in the nfl. Everyone is bigger, faster, stronger, and just better. What works at the college level may translate to the NFL but only to a more limited extent, and usually not at all.

I realize that just wondering why they didn’t beat up. Off the line or on run plays when he’s blocking... That’s a small frame even for college.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
There’s a reason lots of college players - even from the best programs - can’t cut it in the nfl.

yes, but wouldnt you think that:

with Waddle out, and
playing in the SEC

we would have seen at least a hint of being able to stop him by jamming at the line and being physical?

instead, he goes out and puts up 117 / ~1,900 yards and 23 TDs. He was also at his best vs the best teams they faced.

i think the worst case scenario is that Smith becomes an upper tier slot guy

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whatever happens to Smith will be a learning experience for everyone. Have there been any extremely underweight players who got 1st round, top 20 pick, hype in the past?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
yes, but wouldnt you think that:

with Waddle out, and
playing in the SEC

we would have seen at least a hint of being able to stop him by jamming at the line and being physical?

instead, he goes out and puts up 117 / ~1,900 yards and 23 TDs. He was also at his best vs the best teams they faced.

i think the worst case scenario is that Smith becomes an upper tier slot guy
That’s why I say he makes me nervous in both directions. Some guys just defy the general rules. He could be that guy. His resume points in that direction. But 166 ...

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
That’s why I say he makes me nervous in both directions. Some guys just defy the general rules. He could be that guy. His resume points in that direction. But 166 ...

Thats why Smith will probably not be picked that high. The risk-reward relation is just not there for most GMs.

On the other hand, for teams with lots of draft capital (Miami, Carolina, Philly) picking him very high seems reasonable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd rather someone else take the risk to find out. Especially considering every class is stacked at WR now.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

When the Skins trained in Carlisle, PA, I had the opportunity to stand & chat with Lavar Arrington. I was a competing powerlifter earlier in my 20’s & 30’s. I tried to envision what it might be like if that dude hit me on a dead sprint. It was then when I came to grips with how big, how fast, how strong, and how fierce those dudes really are. And I was around 210 at the time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When the Skins trained in Carlisle, PA, I had the opportunity to stand & chat with Lavar Arrington. I was a competing powerlifter earlier in my 20’s & 30’s. I tried to envision what it might be like if that dude hit me on a dead sprint. It was then when I came to grips with how big, how fast, how strong, and how fierce those dudes really are. And I was around 210 at the time.

I visited there when I lived in the Harrisburg area. Maybe 2003? Got to chat with James Brown, who traveled in to cover the camp. Nice guy. Agreed on Arrington.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d draft Smitty over a guy like Zaven Collins easily.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

i think this is total crap.

people said the same things about Kyler.

tyreek hill is almost the same size and is a top 5 WR.

If you can produce at an elite level at Alabama you will do well in the nfl.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose