I don't see it

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's basically what I said above. Let's face it. The West is insanely talented. I am not sure you can say making it to the second round and getting beat is anything but an huge accomplishment compared to last year's team and considering what expectations were before the season. Having said that, if this team is one and done? That might be a different story.

I don't think we're going to go one and done but even if we do, this has been a good season AFAIC. Short of the two stacked squads, I really don't think any other team is out of our league. The problem is that there are several other teams that probably (and justifiably) feel the same way.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
THIS!! THIS!!

Every year injuries happen. Ced Ceballos going down, Joe breaks his face, Magic pulls up with a hammy, KD snaps an achilles. Part of winning a title for even being a good team is managing health risks on your roster, having a style of play that minimized injuries (see Chris Paul), and just a lot of plain old luck.

It's about time the Suns got some. But it isn't all accidental. We have not filled out our roster with a bunch of injury-prone vets (like the Cardinals seem to always do). Chris Paul does not play a Steve Nash helter-skelter game. He plays a controlled game that is aging well. I gotta admit, I was way wrong about him. Our pace is also making it easier on our players (along with their youth). But also our depth is making it easier. One guy does not have to over-exert himself for every win. If Book has an off night, someone else can pick it up. That, in itself, helps with injuries, even if the minutes remain similar. The players on this team trust each other and that takes off some pressure, which also helps with injuries.

Now if they would just rest CP3 for this game tonight. . .
I don't think they plan on any resting of players until they clinch top 6 seed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We beat them. Barely only counts for the viewership at home. A win is a win and a loss is a loss when it comes to records.

Also, the Suns are not playing very well but are still winning. That's says a ton about a team that is still eeking out wins despite some of their talent not playing well as of late. That is called teamwork. That says a bunch about how far the team has come. In the past if one guy didn't play well...the team had very little chance of winning.

Getting to the playoffs would be an accomplishment. Making it to the second round would beat expectations. It would be above and beyond expectations coming into the season. Anything beyond that would simply be a fantastic run.
I think making playoffs meets offseason expectations but I think it’s appropriate to adjust expectations mid season when facts warrant and they do here. A first loss would be a disappointment at this juncture.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are making a great case for the Suns being a much better team than they are because they are not functioning on all cylinders and still winning.

Yeah I hope so. I think this team when firing on all cylinders should be able to at least make it to the western conference finals.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Must be great to be someone who can't enjoy wins over good teams. Discounting the Suns wins because the other team was missing players is definitely a "glass half empty" outlook. But you do you.

Who said I didn't enjoy the win? I did.

I am just hoping for better, because I want playoff success.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
THIS!! THIS!!

Every year injuries happen. Ced Ceballos going down, Joe breaks his face, Magic pulls up with a hammy, KD snaps an achilles. Part of winning a title for even being a good team is managing health risks on your roster, having a style of play that minimized injuries (see Chris Paul), and just a lot of plain old luck.

It's about time the Suns got some. But it isn't all accidental. We have not filled out our roster with a bunch of injury-prone vets (like the Cardinals seem to always do). Chris Paul does not play a Steve Nash helter-skelter game. He plays a controlled game that is aging well. I gotta admit, I was way wrong about him. Our pace is also making it easier on our players (along with their youth). But also our depth is making it easier. One guy does not have to over-exert himself for every win. If Book has an off night, someone else can pick it up. That, in itself, helps with injuries, even if the minutes remain similar. The players on this team trust each other and that takes off some pressure, which also helps with injuries.

Now if they would just rest CP3 for this game tonight. . .

You mean D Manning?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Who said I didn't enjoy the win? I did.

I am just hoping for better, because I want playoff success.
I think the playoffs are such a mystery right now, I'm just enjoying seeing them win and push to the #1 seed by whatever means necessary.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We are not getting out of the second round if our level of play does not improve.

That's setting the bar awfully high. I'd need great odds to put money on the Suns making the conference finals. They're good, and it's exciting, but they aren't that good. If they can win their first-round matchup and be competitive in the second, they'll have done very well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's setting the bar awfully high. I'd need great odds to put money on the Suns making the conference finals. They're good, and it's exciting, but they aren't that good. If they can win their first-round matchup and be competitive in the second, they'll have done very well.

agreed.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

This seems about right to me. Conference finals would be a miracle.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
True but I think he was only playing 11 mpg in the playoffs before the injury. Idk whether he was playing hurt or it was the Dumas factor.

You're right and I had forgotten that. It's weird, because I remember thinking on the eve of the Finals that being without Ceballos was going to be a big loss.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This seems about right to me. Conference finals would be a miracle.
I think miracle is too strong of a word for a team with the second best record in the league. Would feel like a miracle to us long suffering suns fan may be more appropriate.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You're right and I had forgotten that. It's weird, because I remember thinking on the eve of the Finals that being without Ceballos was going to be a big loss.
I think it was. If I recall correctly ced gave the bulls problems in earlier games. Should we or could we have won without him? Yes (could, not should). But I think his presence could’ve made a difference.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it was. If I recall correctly ced gave the bulls problems in earlier games. Should we or could we have won without him? Yes (could, not should). But I think his presence could’ve made a difference.
Hmm

9pts 5rebs first game

27pts 5rebs second game (in March, so closer to playoffs)

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I think miracle is too strong of a word for a team with the second best record in the league. Would feel like a miracle to us long suffering suns fan may be more appropriate.

Yes, a bit of a technical exaggeration..... but it sure would would feel like a miracle....We should stop talking about it. Too much to handle after the prolonged suffering. haha

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA