Over-hyped guys you don’t like

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't get the Mac Jones love. I don't see him as a difference maker. He reminds me of a poor man's Sam Bradford.
Agree on Mac Jones. I kind of compare him to Leinart. They both had tons of NFL talent around them to make them look better. That said, I was ecstatic with the Leinart pick :confused:.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree on Mac Jones. I kind of compare him to Leinart. They both had tons of NFL talent around them to make them look better. That said, I was ecstatic with the Leinart pick :confused:.
Weren’t we all!! Pretty sure we had the 10th pick, and when the 9th pick wasn’t Leinart, I immediately started jumping up and down in the family room. My wife just stared at me like I was nuts. And I was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weren’t we all!! Pretty sure we had the 10th pick, and when the 9th pick wasn’t Leinart, I immediately started jumping up and down in the family room. My wife just stared at me like I was nuts. And I was.

Ouchie and I were both out in Palm Desert, staying in separate places for Coachella that weekend, but the moment we saw each other on the polo grounds after the draft we started jumping around and hugging like we’d just won the Super Bowl.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not so much me but I'm seeing multiple mocks now that have Waddle going ahead of Smith.

I still think both will be really good, Smith is now being compared to Marvin Harrison

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr. just updated his “Big Board” to name Pitts as his No. 2 overall prospect for next week’s NFL Draft.

“[Kyle Pitts] would be the No. 1 receiver in this draft, and certainly the best tight end I’ve ever graded in 43 years,” Kiper said on Get Up! on Thursday morning.

He went as far as to say that the league may never seen another Kyle Pitts again.

“That’s not a surprise, it shouldn’t be a surprise,” Kiper continued. “He’s 6-6, he’s 245 pounds, he runs a 4.4 and he’s a tremendous nightmare to try and match-up with. I think if you get the right coordinator, who’s creative and can move him around, I don’t know how anybody covers Kyle Pitts… To me, he’s a unique talent. He’s a once in a decade type of player…”

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Mel Kiper Jr. just updated his “Big Board” to name Pitts as his No. 2 overall prospect for next week’s NFL Draft.

“[Kyle Pitts] would be the No. 1 receiver in this draft, and certainly the best tight end I’ve ever graded in 43 years,” Kiper said on Get Up! on Thursday morning.

He went as far as to say that the league may never seen another Kyle Pitts again.

“That’s not a surprise, it shouldn’t be a surprise,” Kiper continued. “He’s 6-6, he’s 245 pounds, he runs a 4.4 and he’s a tremendous nightmare to try and match-up with. I think if you get the right coordinator, who’s creative and can move him around, I don’t know how anybody covers Kyle Pitts… To me, he’s a unique talent. He’s a once in a decade type of player…”

So, not us then?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like Pitts is going to be a massive disappointment after all this hype

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yeah but he doesn't offer the good blocking top NFL TEs offer. He's actually pretty bad as a blocker and isn't good receiving as an inline guy either.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFF:

Blocking is becoming rarer and rare for college tight ends. Players are now seldom asked to throw a block well in college, and NFL teams draft them knowing they will be a work in progress. Even excellent college blockers find that it's a major transition to the NFL level if they are asked to be true inline tight ends with the blocking responsibilities that entails.

Within that context, Pitts’ blocking has been fine. I’m not going to go overboard and claim it’s a real strength to his game, but he hasn’t been bad and has been a genuinely solid pass-protector throughout his career.

The lowest PFF pass-blocking grade of his three seasons at Florida was a still respectable 69.6 overall, and he allowed a total of just seven pressures across 105 pass-blocking snaps. His work as a run-blocker was a little more hit and miss, but he enters the NFL off the back of his best season in that regard, and his tape shows a player who is willing and also capable of some high-level blocks. There is nothing there that makes you think he is simply not able to hold his own in that area of the game. He is certainly the equal of most tight ends entering the league in 2021.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cheese and I were at Coachella and we were likewise jumping and down and our friends and observers thought we were nuts . . . oh wait, no they didn’t, we fit right in . . .

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Mac Jones. The surrounding cast at AL always makes individual players look better. In fact many have little upside left. Doesn’t mean they aren’t quality players but Jones won’t be throwing to players who dominate at their positions like he was in college. He’s likely okay, but nothing special. He will max his talent more quickly than the others so early on he’ll be fine but in the long run he’ll have less to offer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose