The Draft - Surprise 1st round players

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Which players do you think go round 1 that aren't generally mocked there? Who do you think NFL teams will be higher on that draft media?

I'll start

Greg Newsome - This is a tight one as he's borderline late 1st or early 2nd from what I have seen but he should be right up there for me and I can see him going in the teens.

Elijah Moore - Very underrated. 2nd in yards in the SEC. He's a superb route runner. 93rd percentile Short Shuttle. 91st percentile 3 cone. 4.32 40 yard dash. He needs to add some weight but I can see him late 1st round.

Creed Humphrey - I find it crazy he's still consistently mocked mid round 2. I think he will be gone late teems or early 20's.

Pat Freiermuth - It's a limited group and if you need a TE you need to go big. I think he goes late round 1.

Ifeatu Melifonwu - Consistently thought of as a late 2nd I think teams will love his size, speed and length. I can see him sneaking into the back end of round 1.

Any others?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Terrance Marshall
Quinn Meinerz
Asante Samuel Jr
Milton Williams

And I throw another name

Paulson Adebo

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which players do you think go round 1 that aren't generally mocked there? Who do you think NFL teams will be higher on that draft media?

I'll start

Greg Newsome - This is a tight one as he's borderline late 1st or early 2nd from what I have seen but he should be right up there for me and I can see him going in the teens.

Elijah Moore - Very underrated. 2nd in yards in the SEC. He's a superb route runner. 93rd percentile Short Shuttle. 91st percentile 3 cone. 4.32 40 yard dash. He needs to add some weight but I can see him late 1st round.

Creed Humphrey - I find it crazy he's still consistently mocked mid round 2. I think he will be gone late teems or early 20's.

Pat Freiermuth - It's a limited group and if you need a TE you need to go big. I think he goes late round 1.

Ifeatu Melifonwu - Consistently thought of as a late 2nd I think teams will love his size, speed and length. I can see him sneaking into the back end of round 1.

Any others?

Newsome - I think he goes higher; corners tend to go higher than a lot of "Draft Experts" project. I think that it's a lock Surtain is gone. Horn is likely to be gone by 16 as well, I'd wager he goes between 10-15. Farley it's tough to say since some teams will drop him off their boards, but I think his tape is the best of all the CBs. So to me that means Newsome should be in play at 16. Don't get cute and try and trade down, or now you're looking at little Asante Samuel Jr.

Elijah Moore - I think Moore is being underrated. I think he's going to be one of the best receivers from this draft, and that his game is a near lock (barring injuries and unforeseen off field stuff) to project him to being a good NFL starter. If I'm looking for a receiver, outside of Chase and Smith, he's the next guy on my list because of his measureables and production. I like him more than Waddle because of Waddle's limited production and injury history. I wouldn't want to take him at 16, but if WR was a huge need, I could see him easily going mid to late first round.

Creed Humphrey - As I've stated before in other threads, centers bust at a real high rate, and I don't view Humphrey as a special prospect. He is no Ryan Kelly, who is one of the few highly drafted centers to not bust in the past decade. Humphrey might slip into the late first, but I'll be massively shocked if he goes in the teens. Put it this way, when you see that Sewell could slip to almost 10, it would be shocking to see a center go a few picks later.

Ifeatu Melinfonwu - Tall corners often bust. It's physics, many of them don't have the hips to be good in the NFL. The same is actually true for WRs as well. Melinfonwu would be a shock as a 1st rounder. I just don't see it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it's the offensive skill players that everyone LOVES in round 2 will go in round 1 to get that extra year of contract. Jacksonville at #33 has needs at both RB and WR so I will say one of these two go in round 1

Javonte Williams - For sure Steelers are going round 1 RB.

Kadarius Toney - I believe the top 3 receivers are gone by pick 16.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Creed Humphrey - As I've stated before in other threads, centers bust at a real high rate, and I don't view Humphrey as a special prospect. He is no Ryan Kelly, who is one of the few highly drafted centers to not bust in the past decade. Humphrey might slip into the late first, but I'll be massively shocked if he goes in the teens. Put it this way, when you see that Sewell could slip to almost 10, it would be shocking to see a center go a few picks later.

Here's my reasoning on Humphrey.

Last year Ruiz went #24. The year before Bradberry went #18. In '18 Ragnow went #20. Price went #21.

Humphrey is at least as good as those guys and that's the range I think he goes.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe it's the offensive skill players that everyone LOVES in round 2 will go in round 1 to get that extra year of contract. Jacksonville at #33 has needs at both RB and WR so I will say one of these two go in round 1

Javonte Williams - For sure Steelers are going round 1 RB.

Kadarius Toney - I believe the top 3 receivers are gone by pick 16.

Do you not think Etienne is there? I think there's a chance Harris is still there TBH.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Any to add?

You've basically added all the ones I could see going in round one.

Maybe a corner like Robinson from UCF.

Or an interior lineman like Daivyon Nixon because there is so little IDL prospects in this draft and a team in need may freak out and overdraft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Here's my reasoning on Humphrey.

Last year Ruiz went #24. The year before Bradberry went #18. In '18 Ragnow went #20. Price went #21.

Humphrey is at least as good as those guys and that's the range I think he goes.

Teams were really hot on all those guys though, and we haven't heard the same type of excitement predraft on Humphrey.

Also, none of those guys save Ruiz has really been all that good yet.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams were really hot on all those guys though, and we haven't heard the same type of excitement predraft on Humphrey.

Also, none of those guys save Ruiz has really been all that good yet.

Its different this year though. Very little buzz about who any team likes.

With no combine, and most pro days attended by scouts or assistants the media aren't picking up the player buzz like normal.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its different this year though. Very little buzz about who any team likes.

With no combine, and most pro days attended by scouts or assistants the media aren't picking up the player buzz like normal.

The only thing we have consistently heard is the media is way off on the evaluations this year AND guys are getting dinged for opting out.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing we have consistently heard is the media is way off on the evaluations this year AND guys are getting dinged for opting out.

When the media think the Niners want Mac Jones at #3 you know they are disconnected

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The CB from Kentucky. His name escapes me but he’s pretty damn good. I think he’ll go much earlier than mocked.

Btw, Freiermuth is going at 49. I’m demanding that :cheers:

Kelvin Joseph? I've seen him mocked to us in the 2nd a few times.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
S Richie Grant... Some view him as top single high FS. I could see him sneaking into the end of the first

LB Jamin Davis. Very high ceiling

WR Rondale Moore. I can see Saints or Chiefs loving him

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I once saw a man actually bend over to pick up a penny which was laying on the sidewalk. He sprained his back while bending to pick it up. I have never forgotten that. It sort of sums up my life as an NFL draft pundit.

Thus, I will suggest the following: There will be no C, RB, or S drafted in R1. More WRs than QBs will be drafted in R1. And finally, the first Cardinal's pick will leave us all scratching our heads.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The CB from Kentucky. His name escapes me but he’s pretty damn good. I think he’ll go much earlier than mocked.

Btw, Freiermuth is going at 49. I’m demanding that :cheers:
Kelvin Joseph. Solid corner. Was a 4* coming out of high school, chose LSU, played quite a bit his freshman year, then transferred to Kentucky, sat out a year, then started this past season at Kentucky. Wouldn't break my heart if we get him in the 2nd round.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA